Boys Gymnastics Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

J

jenmac287

Hi....new Mom here. My son just turned 9...he has been doing gymnastics seriously for about 1 year. He is very good (a natural) ...as per his coach and will start competing with his team this year, he will be starting at a level 6. Is this appropriate level for a 9 year old?? I am new to the world of Gymnastics....and I am thrilled to watch my son enjoy this sport so much, just wondering about the "levels". Thanks, Jen in NJ

if this is where his coach thinks he should begin, then the coach knows best.

Levels are different in different countries.

Are you in the US? If so, level 6 is impressive for a 9-year-old who's only been in the sport for one year.

As dunno said, a coach who works with your son can tell you what level he should be at far better than a bunch of people on the internet who have never seen him.

In the US 9 is on the young side for level 6. There are 8 and 9 year olds, but where we are the average level 6 is more like 11-12. If he's starting at level 6, I would agree that he must be unusually talented.

My Son

Thanks for your input on LEVEL 6.....my sweet son is quite impressive and has been a "monkey" since he was 3. We are excited for him to start competing...he loves the sport. I'll keep you all posted on his progress. Jen in NJ

Technically, as long as he is in the appropriate age group, men can start competing at whatever level they want/choose.

L4 is easy and many boys can skip it, especially if they are older and go straight to L5.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back