Buying equipment for home?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Back to the OP's question about bar: We owned a Jr. Kip bar for a period of one year. DD was lvl 2-4 at the time and I think it really helped her develop her pull up strength. She loved doing pullovers and pull ups, and her school banned her from doing pullovers on the playground. She only went to gymnastics 3-4 hours a week... and never had the opportunity to play on the equipment outside of her gym class. When she switched gyms and started the 8-10 hr per week team practices, there was no longer any use for the bar. If her pre-team gym offered a program that was sufficient and satisfied her needs, then we wouldn't have spent the money. But the bar is also easy to sell when you decide to get rid of it. For our circumstance, it was well worth it.

i'm against any trampoline being used outside of a controlled and supervised setting. outside of gyms (and i want to idealistically believe most) they are used as toys. when trampolines are used as toys people can die. literally and permanently. Phoenix Man Dies After Spinal Injury At Indoor Trampoline Park | Fox News.

competition trampolines are very different than the backyard and trampoline park variety. if competition trampolines were used in these playground environments, more people would die and suffer catastrophic injuries.

trampolines, and their sister devices, should only be used in a controlled and supervised setting by experienced and trained coaches. Erbmom is new here and i appreciate her being here but she is wrong. once she hangs around here awhile i'm sure someone will PM her and let her know she can trust what i say.:)

and welcome to CB, Erbmom.:)

Thanks, actually not so new. Been reading, not posting. I have gotten a lot of good info here. I've seen many of your posts (being that you do comment on most posts ;)), most crack me up, some I agree with and some I don't. Everyone's entitled to an opinion. I also stand by my post! Yes, people die, but rarely. They also die using other toys. I stand by the stats that I have read... nets can have an impact on injuries.

I worry less about my kids hurting themselves on a trampoline than about some neighbor kid coming over and using it when we're not home and getting hurt. As it is, our yard is very steeply sloped, so that's the excuse I give my kids when they ask for a trampoline... we can't, there's no flat place to put it. Then they ask me "Well, if our yard WAS flat, could we have a trampoline?" Since I see very little chance of our yard magically becoming flat, I tell them, "abosolutely!" Maybe if our yard was large, flat, and completely fenced I would consider it. However, it is none of those things.

Thanks, actually not so new. Been reading, not posting. I have gotten a lot of good info here. I've seen many of your posts (being that you do comment on most posts ;)), most crack me up, some I agree with and some I don't. Everyone's entitled to an opinion. I also stand by my post! Yes, people die, but rarely. They also die using other toys. I stand by the stats that I have read... nets can have an impact on injuries.

sometimes some of you can be frustrating.:) Trampolines and Trampoline Safety Position Statement - AAOS

And one of the most important quotes from your link:
This Position Statement was developed as an educational tool based on the opinion of the authors. It is not a product of a systematic review. Readers are encouraged to consider the information presented and reach their own conclusions.

For
every link you post, I could post another. If you're truly interested for your own knowledge, I would, but if it's just to argue, forget it. Don't have the engery for that. Especially because i'm having annoying google chrome issues today... arrgh... Catch me on a different day, maybe. I've seen several scientific articles with widely varying statistics.

i'm sincerely not arguing. this position paper, as well as others, come from the medical profession and the very Docs that see these patients in emergency rooms across the country. these facts are put to a database that tracks these injuries. and on backyard trampoline beds. you can see that they say nets would be better than not. why? because if they break their neck and become instantly unconscious when they strike the trampoline bed, they would rather see them contained to the fall itself with primary injury. not additional secondary injuries, yet proximately related, where falling downward to the ground could exacerbate a spinal cord injury causing death or additional injuries that have the potential for death given an unconscious flying projectile with no motor control.

and if the "conclusions" that someone reaches find that trampolines are safe when used other than in the environment i described, then i'm dumbfounded. and it is apparent that their are 3 million households that disagree with me. but possibly near a million that don't. and then there is my job other than coaching...never mind. There are over 3 million backyard trampolines in use in the USA. and there are over 600,000 (up from 100,000 in 2005) reported trips to emergency rooms across the US due to just backyard trampolines alone. this does not include trampolines inside gymnastics schools, and only recently include trampoline parks that are popping up all over the country and are comparatively in their infancy of 3 years in business. there have been 2 deaths in the US and 1 out of the US to a USAG athlete in the whole history of gymnastics. 1 was due to a mini-trampoline, 1 from a competition trampoline in a competition and 1 in Japan at Chunichi Cup on the old vaulting horse during a Yurchenko. therefore, 2 out of these 3 deaths were due to trampoline and a trampoline device.

backyard trampolines average approx 10 deaths every decade. and these are just the ones i'm aware of since 1980. when it comes to this issue and as i was asked what my position was on this issue, it doesn't matter what day it is for me. trampolines of any kind should only be used inside a gymnastics school under the close supervision of trained and experienced coaches. no exceptions for me. that's all... lest i risk that either you or the proverbial dead horse gets up and starts beating me.:)

i'm sincerely not arguing. this position paper, as well as others, come from the medical profession and the very Docs that see these patients in emergency rooms across the country. these facts are put to a database that tracks these injuries. and on backyard trampoline beds. you can see that they say nets would be better than not. why? because if they break their neck and become instantly unconscious when they strike the trampoline bed, they would rather see them contained to the fall itself with primary injury. not additional secondary injuries, yet proximately related, where falling downward to the ground could exacerbate a spinal cord injury causing death or additional injuries that have the potential for death given an unconscious flying projectile with no motor control.

and if the "conclusions" that someone reaches find that trampolines are safe when used other than in the environment i described, then i'm dumbfounded. and it is apparent that their are 3 million households that disagree with me. but possibly near a million that don't. and then there is my job other than coaching...never mind. There are over 3 million backyard trampolines in use in the USA. and there are over 600,000 (up from 100,000 in 2005) reported trips to emergency rooms across the US due to just backyard trampolines alone. this does not include trampolines inside gymnastics schools, and only recently include trampoline parks that are popping up all over the country and are comparatively in their infancy of 3 years in business. there have been 2 deaths in the US and 1 out of the US to a USAG athlete in the whole history of gymnastics. 1 was due to a mini-trampoline, 1 from a competition trampoline in a competition and 1 in Japan at Chunichi Cup on the old vaulting horse during a Yurchenko. therefore, 2 out of these 3 deaths were due to trampoline and a trampoline device.

backyard trampolines average approx 10 deaths every decade. and these are just the ones i'm aware of since 1980. when it comes to this issue and as i was asked what my position was on this issue, it doesn't matter what day it is for me. trampolines of any kind should only be used inside a gymnastics school under the close supervision of trained and experienced coaches. no exceptions for me. that's all... lest i risk that either you or the proverbial dead horse gets up and starts beating me.:)

Hmm... I think somewhere along the way, we each lost the point the other was arguing. I agree that trampolines are risky, my point several posts ago was that they are a little less risky with a net. The start of my disagreement was when you suggested that the nets were not helpful at all as the "overwhelming" majority of injuries were on the trampoline itself. That is the only thing I disagree with. That statistic has been all over the place with different studies. I have read many articles by the medical community and can easily interpret statistics vs opinion, I am also in the medical community. I never stated, and I don't ever remember reading, when someone said that trampolines were 100% safe. I was pointing out things you can do to decrease the risk, acknowledging that my own backyard trampoline is a safety hazard. Most articles I have read have suggested that most (usually stating around 2/3's) of injuries occur when there is more than one child on the trampoline at a time. That's another way to decrease risk. But even with a net, supervision, etc, injuries will occur, no one disputes that! They occur at home, and they occur at the gym.

I think it's clear that you are against backyard trampolines and I'm truly happy that you are concerned for the safety of all our children. For me, and many others who own them, we see the risk and accept it.

I'm truly not generally a thread hijacker, I've been silently just lurking for years. Just created the ID recently. :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back