Parents Camp opinion for those who asked about younger gymnasts before

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NGL780309

I remember a few camp thread wondering when the right time is, is it worth it etc. Now that DD just finished a week of camp, I thought I'd share my opinion and the problems DD encountered.

DD did 28.5 hours over 4 days. That is the actual time spent in the gym practicing. It does not include lunch, dinner, fun activites. She did fine with the hours and didn't complain, but she was very, very sore. By Wednsday she needed help getting dressed and she was limping because she was so sore. It would improve once she got to the gym and got warmed up, but by Thursday she couldn't really tumble because her legs were so sore. They did lots of conditioning which surprised me and I think that's what did her in. They did the Insanity work out everyday and that was really hard for her. To go from 12 hours a week to 28.5 in 4 days was tough physically for her.

Overall it was a great experience and she loved it. She was sad that yesterday was her last day. She didn't get any new skills, but I thought the coaching was great. It was a lot more intense than what she is used to. I saw a huge improvement in her vault and tumbling. Mostly because it was different coaches and she really wanted to try hard for them and do what they asked. The sore factor just came as a surprise. I knew it was a big jump in hours, but I figured it would be a lot of time waiting around and more fun things, but that was not the case.

She is a 6 year old level 5. This was a team camp at her own gym. It was not required and outside coaches were brought in. She is also going to an away camp as a commuter in 2 weeks.

Holy cow, NGL! That's a lot of training hours for such a little girl! That is more hours than a lot of 14 year old optionals could handle!:eek: My 6 year old may possibly have made it 3 hours, but then the attention span drops off~LOL!;) Glad your dd enjoyed it, but sorry she ended up so sore...

Yes it was a lot of hours, and not something she would ever do on a regular basis. From what I understand most camps are a lot of hours and so that's why I wanted to let everyone know that it would be a shame to pay big bucks and be so sore you can barely move lol. DD didn't have to do the last 3 hours and in hindsight I probably should have told her no and made her come home. They had 3 training sessions per day with the last training session being more of an open gym where they could do whatever they wanted. I really think it was less of the gymnastics and more all the conditioning that made her so sore. She's feeling fine today and was asking to go to her regular gym practice tonight, but I opted to have her stay home. I was ready for a break lol. That was some serious gas money driving back and forth to take her, go home, drive back to get her and then back home.

That's interesting. I haven't even considered a soreness factor associated with camp. Bella is 7 and is going to FlipFest very soon. I'm sure your daughter is in excellent physical condition and so is Bella. She's never been sore but if your daughter was, I'm sure she will be too. I know that Flip Fest has two mandatory training sessions a day, I think each is three hours but I'm not willing to swear to it. So if I'm remembering correctly, that would mean 27 hours from Sunday afternoon through Thursday. That is a lot of hours..... and it would be more if she went to evening open gym (don't expect her to but I could be wrong).

That's interesting. I haven't even considered a soreness factor associated with camp. Bella is 7 and is going to FlipFest very soon. I'm sure your daughter is in excellent physical condition and so is Bella. She's never been sore but if your daughter was, I'm sure she will be too. I know that Flip Fest has two mandatory training sessions a day, I think each is three hours but I'm not willing to swear to it. So if I'm remembering correctly, that would mean 27 hours from Sunday afternoon through Thursday. That is a lot of hours..... and it would be more if she went to evening open gym (don't expect her to but I could be wrong).
The residential camps such as FlipFest, IGC and Woodward do not push the kids that hard. One reason is they want the kids to come back again and if they all go home complaining they could barely walk by Wednesday, thats not going to happen. Actually those camps do minimal conditioning.
NGL, the camp your dd went to was way too much for a young gymnast. She should never have been worked so hard, she could barely get out of bed after 2 days. Sorry, but I would have only let her finish the camp on a very limited basis. Working out until the kids are too sore to move proves nothing.

The residential camps such as FlipFest, IGC and Woodward do not push the kids that hard. One reason is they want the kids to come back again and if they all go home complaining they could barely walk by Wednesday, thats not going to happen. Actually those camps do minimal conditioning.
NGL, the camp your dd went to was way too much for a young gymnast. She should never have been worked so hard, she could barely get out of bed after 2 days. Sorry, but I would have only let her finish the camp on a very limited basis. Working out until the kids are too sore to move proves nothing.

This camp was a compulsory level camp for our team girls so the girls were all around the same age and level. It was mostly level 4's and 5's with a few level 6 girls. DD was one of the youngest, but it was a camp designed for her level, the optional camp is this week. I don't think the hours were out of range with any of the sleep away camps I've heard of. 6.5 hours were the expected portion and 3 hours were optional. The gym decided to have this camp to give kids an option other than going away to camp. It was certainly cheaper. Like I said previously I don't think it was the gymnastics that made her so sore, it was the conditioning. They did a block of conditioning that they don't normally do. It kicked the behinds of most of the girls. We are getting a new head coach and we were told they were going to start conditioning a lot more, so it'll be interesting to see how that works out.

In all, despite being sore, DD had a great time. We will definitely do the camp next year if they have it.

DD is going to a camp at a college in 2 weeks so I'll let you know how it compares in intensity. I've heard it's a tough camp.

This post made me think back about DD's first sleep away camp. It was at DD's old gym, but unlike your DD NGL It was mandatory for her. She was also 6 at the time, and her first real time away from me. I was the one that could not handle it however. DD was fine with the 8 hr. practices and the being away from home. I think all kids are different in all respects. DD also was accustomed to the Insanity workouts and the various Beach Body w.o. I just bought the Turbo Fire cds and it doesn't phase her. If I could part from DD, I would definitely send her. It's Mamma who can't bare it.
One of DD's teammates just came back from Flip Fest and again her Mom was a basket case. Someone should post a thread where we can seek solace when our DD's are away at camp. Maybe next year, I will let DD go...MAYBE!

My 6 year old just finished her in house camp this past week and they did 28 hours of gym in four days too. Thankfully they did not have to do a lof of conditioning though.

NGL,
What college camp is your DD going to. My Syd will be attending the UK (University of Kentucky) on July 26th.
I am anxious to hear how it "really" goes because based on the schedule my DD might be in for a shock. She has been practicing for 12 hours a week durning the summer but is trying to skip to level 5. Her only missing skill is *of course* the Kip!
I hope the camp can help her get that!!

That is too much for a 6yo. The camps that are out there aren't that intense. yes they spend alot of time doing gym while they are there but they aren't pushed like you say. Also most of the camps won't take them at all until they turn 7yo.

My Dd has been going to Mt Holyoke since she was 7yo and always had a blast. She never came home sore, tired from all the fun yes but never overworked like you describe. This year we are going to a different Camp as the other ones price kept going up to the point we can afford that so its off to UNH this year and their gym camp. Its 2 days shorter and 1/2 the price. The dorms have AC too which the otherone didn't have. Their schedule is similar to what she had before with similar activities. She is looking forward to it even though it isn't the same camp she has been going to.

My dds just got back from a college camp. My younger dd is 7 and training level 4. Their day was similar. 8 to twelve gym, 1-2 swim, 2 to 5 gym, 6 to 8 open gym. It is a lot of gym. She was slightly sore when she came back, but her gym is one of those that does a LOT of conditioning. I would say an hour a class is conditioing. She learned a lot and got some new skills. Love gym camps!

My DD just left yesterday for a residential camp at Oklahoma University. She's 8 and training Level 7. Of course mom went, as well as a couple of other moms to make sure things go smoothly, but I can't wait to hear of her experience. It is her first gymnastics camp.

My DD went to a college camp a couple years ago and had a blast! She was 9 at the time. She never complained about being sore or tired! She would love to go back but they have cancelled it the last couple of years. She would like to go to one of the big camps like flipfest or igc but $700+ dollars is just not in the budget! Maybe next year!

I used to go to college camps in the summer (my mom couldn't afford the bigger gymnastics camps plus travel). I went to both University of Denver and Air Force Academy. At DU we did about 4 hours in the gym a day then lots of different activities. Once I was 10 I went to AFA where we did from about 8 to 11 am then 1 to 4 pm (if I remember right) in the gym. Both camps had swimming, ice skating and other activities too. I always had a blast. I never remember being sore but slept well at night! And I always remember being in the college dorms as really cool, it made me aim for college gym someday.

This is an interesting thread. Every child is so different, my older kids have gone away to sleep away sport or YMCA camps and done fine being away from home but my youngest is different and doesn't sleep away from home well. Her gym did a team camp in early June - it was a lot of hours of gymnastics with fun & games in the evening Friday 3:00 - Sunday 12:00. DD loved it EXCEPT the sleeping over part so I went and picked her up at bedtime. I am glad we tried this relatively low cost, close to home camp before I signed her up for Flip Fest or a similar camp. She is not ready at 7 to go away to camp yet.

DD finished her 2nd camp and she wasn't really sore from this one. The hours were about the same, but they didn't really condition she said. Her only complaint was her abs being a little sore compared to her legs being so sore she was limping at the other camp. I think it was the Insanity work-out for sure that did her in. I am officially "camped" out and ready for her to get home to regular practice.

This is an interesting thread. Every child is so different, my older kids have gone away to sleep away sport or YMCA camps and done fine being away from home but my youngest is different and doesn't sleep away from home well. Her gym did a team camp in early June - it was a lot of hours of gymnastics with fun & games in the evening Friday 3:00 - Sunday 12:00. DD loved it EXCEPT the sleeping over part so I went and picked her up at bedtime. I am glad we tried this relatively low cost, close to home camp before I signed her up for Flip Fest or a similar camp. She is not ready at 7 to go away to camp yet.

We decided not to let our DD go away to Flip Fest camp either this summer. After taking a look at the schedule, we felt that she wasn't quite up to that. The times that she has stayed up late has wiped her out the next day. We told her that we would rethink it in the next few years. Wish we had a local camp like some of the ones mentioned here!

We decided not to let our DD go away to Flip Fest camp either this summer. After taking a look at the schedule, we felt that she wasn't quite up to that. The times that she has stayed up late has wiped her out the next day. We told her that we would rethink it in the next few years. Wish we had a local camp like some of the ones mentioned here!

GQ hosts a great team camp, next summer Lily should come up and go w/ Bridget!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back