Coaches change twist direction now or let it go?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

GymRays

Coach
Proud Parent
I'm currently coaching xcel silver and gold. On bars, a handful of my girls are doing the 1/2 turn tap dismount. I haven't done any acro twisting skills, only dance skills with them. I have done the fun contests with them to see which way each of them are naturally turning. Now I realize three of them are twisting their bar dismount the opposite way they naturally wanted to twist. Should I change this now or let it go. If I don't change it will it affect them when they begin back salts with twists or vaulting twists. I have been working with them to get their flyaway but they will be competing the remainder of the season with the1/2 turn dismount. If I plan on them doing flyaways should I not bother addressing this?

I personally wouldn't change this , not worth the effort but I am sure some people will say you have to lol.

I don't think it will have much of an impact on other twisting skills (fulls on floor or vault--any more than doing jump full turns the wrong way would), but it is designed as a lead-in to blinds (and is otherwise a bit of an odd, dead-end skill), so I would recommend switching to the correct direction, as you will have to re-do the swing, half turns as drills one day anyhow before teaching blinds.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back