Parents Changing Gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymdad

Proud Parent
We have been at the same gym for years and years. Our child adores the sport. She has a desire to go forward. She is very attached to her coaches. There are 2 problems: there are no pits & the gym does not seem to be up to carrying a gymnast through all of the levels. This year our little gymnast seems to be frustrated and frankly hitting a plateau. Do we change gyms & see if this is what she wants? Do we stay at our current gym & just let her be? We love the coaches very much, but on the flip side even they said that maybe we should move her to a more serious gym. Thoughts?

I have read on here many times, that if you are thinking about changing gyms, its a year past when you should have.

We changed gyms last year to get DD to a gym that was still fun but focuses more on technique and form. It's the best thing we have ever done. She is stronger and actual has days where she is graceful (DD is more of a 'power' gymnast). She loves her new coaches but they fit her personality where the push her but also praise her accomplishments.

How old is your DD? What does she say? All gymnast have plateaus, usually followed up a spurt of new skills. DD did this this summer. Frustration, frustration, a day of tears and boom the next week she had the two skills that had her in tears.

If she is at least 6 years old, I'd say it's time to look for a gym with the qualities you are looking for. There are lots of gym switching threads on here about what to look for, which can basically be summed up as..

1. Coach style/personality fit with your DD (watch a practice to see how girls are treated, talk to team parents if possible)

2. Track record for progressing girls into higher levels (ask the gym, and/or look up their scores online to see how many are competing, how well they do, etc.)

3. Philosophy about 'moving up' the levels (do they need a minimum score? How are girls assessed, etc)

4. Philosophy on uptraining (do they uptrain for next level skills year round? After the season?)

5. Their assessment of your DD. Where will she be placed right now, and does that make you/her happy? Do they see potential in her to move up with that group (whenever that will be next)? For example, if move ups are coming up in May, you might want to wait until then to start, or else she would just make new friends in one level, but possibly not move up with them to the next level. Something to consider.

That's off the top of my head. If your coaches already suggested shopping around, then that ays everything right there. You're lucky that it sounds like you wont' be burning any bridges like many other gym-switching scenarios. good luck! :)

I think we will head out after meet season. I have seen my child go from 1st/2nd to a very frustrated, self-doubting gymnast. We actually found a gym that is small & new, but with pits! See, I love the size of our gym, but the lack of pits scares me.

I think we will head out after meet season. I have seen my child go from 1st/2nd to a very frustrated, self-doubting gymnast. We actually found a gym that is small & new, but with pits! See, I love the size of our gym, but the lack of pits scares me.
That's where that big burly spotter comes in handy ;-)
Sorry, I understand and share your concerns about pits and their necessity.

Pits are an absolute necessity for gymnasts who want to make it -- successfully and safely -- to higher-level optionals.

My own kid moved from a pit-less gym to one with pits. The first few training sessions at the new gym I sat and watched and had to keep pushing my chin up from my chest. I could not believe the difference that pit made for gymnasts in terms of up training, getting comfortable much faster with bigger skills because of the security of a soft landing, and just general fun.

I can also note that each gym had an especially talented superstar gymnast, both of whom are now L10s. The girl from pit-less gym #1 seems to be faltering, while the girl from pit-full (?) gym #2 has made it to nationals two years in a row.

Is it the pits (so to speak)? I'm no coach, just a simple parent who has been watching this sport for...too long now. But I would be willing to bet this has something to do with the aforementioned sad scenario.

This is another of those Chalk Bucket topics that gets people going. So I am sure you will hear from others who say pits are not necessary. And this is true; pits are not necessary for girls to be competitive in compulsory gymnastics and maybe even early optionals.

But they are necessary for higher-level optionals. No way around that fact. Move now.

If even her coaches have suggested the move then yes, move now. I would not wait until the end of the season, frustration only builds.

You can always keep in touch with the coaches from old gym via FB and email.

They are the best, which is why this is so tough!
Been there, done that. It is hard, but it's also good. Given what you've said, they'll understand, and be happy for her progress and potential future. Sure, it will be hard, but the new gym will also be great, and it's not like to have to cease contact with the old coaches. We still talk to DD's first coach a few times a year, and the relationship is pretty good. She's a great person and a great coach, and she knows she's at a gym without the right equipment, so she'll lose girls as they move up. I don't think she enjoys it, but she does seem to enjoy seeing her former gymnasts around at higher level meets.

I have to say that we should have done this a year ago. We just had a meet, only to learn that the coaches misinterpreted some rules, our maximum score levels were lower, etc... Now we must decide where to go! Option #1: Factory-like atmosphere with pits and college recruits; Option #2: congested, but nicer coaches & fewer college recruits; and Option #3: new gym, very small, with pits. However, it was opened by a gym parent ... would they be too focused on their own child? Btw, all 3 are too far ... grrr ... but we will do it. Heck, we considered a move to TX in the summer!

Agreed! Send a conversation to Dunno he will give you an honest recommendation. We can't say what is best based on only a few sentences. Dunno does know everyone in USA gymnastics.

Do a thorough search and leave no question out of any conversation you get into wit a possible coach, owner, team parent, and pet gold fish. Your hope should be to find a gym that can satisfy her training needs and support her while she pursues whatever dream she may have, because most kids have some level of a dream that they hope becomes reality.

Often those dreams are quite ambitious, and even absurd in some cases. No matter how connected, or not, to reality her dreams may be, they still motivate her and feed her passion for the sport. You could ask her what her dreams are, but that usually ends with the child expressing a "light" version of their dreams they think you'll believe and support. So just assume she wants to go to the olympics and support her as she grows to realize that her new dream falls somewhere between here and there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back