Choreography fees?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At our gym we do not pay extra for choreography. The girls have a "workshop" where they work with the floor, beam and head coaches to put together their floor and beam routines for the upcoming year. The parents association provides meals and volunteers to supervise the in gym slumber party that occurs after.

Prior to their routine workshop they are responsible for obtaining music and having it approved by the head coach. They also identify what will likely be in their routines as they go through summer training and are supposed to bring a compiled list and an idea of what they want to do to routine workshop. The coaches then refine, adapt, and make sure the routines meet requirements. Honestly when I heard how this works I thought it would be a zoo but from what I saw of the process it seemed to go fine. I even survived chaperoning the L8 slumber party. :cool:

We pay $400.00 for floor choreography music is seperate. Beam Is done by coach no cost for that. Usually keep floor routine for 2 years. It is a bit pricy but choreogropher did the last AA Gold medalist floor routine and reworked alot of the prvious Gold medalist floor.

At our gym, the gymnast's tuition fees include floor and beam routines.
Each coach choreographs their own group's routines, unless they really struggle, in which case another coach will help them. I guess we are quite lucky in that 3/5 team coaches have dance background and are pretty competent choreographers!

Wow! This is going to sound so silly, but I never knew until just then, that gymnasts pay for routines to be made!
I live in Australia and our head coach makes everything up, and you can help give input if you want to.
We usually source our own music off the internet or from music shops, so there isn't usually much cost at all.

150 for floor is on the very low end, 150 for beam on the high end-so it balances out.

As far as choreography goes, you get what you pay for (usually). Cheap of free routines (usually), well, look cheap or free. I tell parents with what they pay for tuition, leos, meet fees, its its 100% worth it to invest in good choreography. Though, the super high prices (350+) routines are usually NOT worth it, and are not necessary unless you are a high level 10 or elite......

Cheap of free routines (usually), well, look cheap or free.

Though I think that can be true in many cases, we are very lucky that it is not true in our case. My coach was an elite gymnast and is one of those choreographers who other gyms (out of state, she does not do routines for any other gyms in-state) will pay to have her fly out and do routines for them, but she does not charge us very much at all (especially compared to what other gymnasts seem to be paying). So although she does not charge us very much, our routines score very well and do not look cheap at all.

P.S. I hope that didn't come across and sounding stuck up:eek:...that is not at all how I meant it!!!

WOW! At my gym it costs $75 for floor choreography, music we choose ourselves so that can either me bought, downloaded, or chosen of a cd from the gym. Not many people buy their music here. And for beam choreography we can either do it ourselves with help from our coaches and teammates or we can have it done for $10.
Oh and for the floor routines its usually for 1 hour or 1 1/2 but usually 1 then worked on during class.

We made our own up with help of both the team and rec coaches. Our gym always seemed to spend a lot less money than others. I guess doing gym a rec district had it's benefits. :) The part I loved about my L10 routine the most was my sister who is a competitive (maybe that's not the best word but you get the idea) dancer helped me. She also chose my music for me and worked with me on some of the dancing components. I admit, the dancing parts of my routine were the weakest. But I've always had to work with my strengths and dancing and music... well definitely not one!

I was going to post about this this morning because we got our bill yesterday. For her floor routine it will be $350!! I about fell over! :faint: That includes 3 90-minutes sessions with the choreographer. It better be one damned good routine!! ;) Plus, we have to pay $150 for her beam routine, 3 60-minute sessions. The music will cost about $50 or a bit more for 2 CD's. Repeating Level 6 is sounding better and better! We also got our new leo bill. Two payments of $201.00. :eek: Ouch! My bank account is screaming! I may need to take a 2nd mortgage out soon. DH wouldn't go for that, though!

I was going to post about this this morning because we got our bill yesterday. For her floor routine it will be $350!! I about fell over! :faint: That includes 3 90-minutes sessions with the choreographer. It better be one damned good routine!! ;) Plus, we have to pay $150 for her beam routine, 3 60-minute sessions. The music will cost about $50 or a bit more for 2 CD's. Repeating Level 6 is sounding better and better! We also got our new leo bill. Two payments of $201.00. :eek: Ouch! My bank account is screaming! I may need to take a 2nd mortgage out soon. DH wouldn't go for that, though!

Wow!!! I guess our parents should read this since we don't charge 1/3rd that much for both the beam and floor combined.

I had to pay $300 for the floor routine. I don't know if it included the music or not. The session lasted 2 hours, but my DD learned it very fast, and the coach had to make up the last 1/3 of the routine right there on the spot. At least both my DD and I got to give her some ideas, since usually the coach makes it all up herself.

The beam routine is $60.

MamaofEnS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back