Coaches Kicking out a gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cocoslc12

Coach
Judge
Just curious, has anyone ever had to ask a family to leave? If so what were the circumstances? We have some crazy parents right now, and its times like these that I'm grateful I'm not the head coach/owner lol. But at the same time I wish I could tell them to leave and never come back 🤣

A couple of times, and it has always been the behaviour of the parent not the child that has been the issue. Unfortunately the behaviour has always continued at their new clubs, so the gymnasts haven’t been able to be successful there either.

Yes, of course. I own a gym, so naturally these things are down to me.

it’s quite rare, my gym is very large and I have only ever had to kick out 1 kid every couple of years.

For rec kids, I have had a few I have had to ask to leave due to behaviour. As a gym owner you do need to prioritise your coaches well being in many ways, or you have no coaches to coach the kids. So if a child is just making it impossible, it leaves you, little choice. In these circumstances, it’s always been a decision supported by the parents, and often one we have arrived to together. They don’t want to keep paying for any activity where their child is making it so difficult.

In team kids, we have had ti occasionally remove kids due to lack of commitment, again parents have understood. If attendance is sporadic, we explain that it’s just not safe for them to be doing skills of that level.

Sometimes you have to ask a family to leave because they are not paying the bills. Again this is understood by parents, we do give leeway and flexibility if needed, but they get it. Often they then settle the debt and come back.

And of a new occasions, I have had to remove a child due to parents behaviour. This one, never goes down well. But it does have to be done at times.

I only know of two instances where families were going to be asked to leave because of the child's constant nasty behavior. In both situations I believe the families (parents also bullies) basically saw the writing on the wall from the meetings and left for elsewhere of their own accord before being 'kicked out'.

Ultimately you need to have expectations clearly laid out and parents agree to those as part of being on the team. When these are breeched - there needs to be a meeting/communication and warning given. Have a clear process and follow it, most will comply and do the right thing with expectations that communicated and enforced.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back