Anon Clarification regarding gymnastics track

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (afa6)

My DD spent one year in L3, followed by one year in L4. She then was moved to Plat last year as they didn't offer L5, so she spent a year in Plat. Her coach just told her that she'd be transitioning to Diamond for the upcoming season. She has been expressing a desire to return to JO, but unfortunately, L6 isn't offered this year. In short, she couldn't do L5 last year and can't do L6 this year. Is it possible for her to transition to L7 next year after completing one season in Diamond if she has all the required skills? I'm seeking clarification strictly within the framework of USAG rules - not the discussion of which program is better. I'm concerned that the coaches might be nudging her toward the Xcel track, especially since she was moved to Plat against her wishes last year due to athlete and coach shortage (and probably the same reason this year). It's disheartening that she can't go back to JO. She is not on a college or elite track, just enjoying the challenges and pursuing her dreams to train as an optional. Our state treats Xcel somewhat as a second level (I know some states are not, which is awesome) and it's affecting her passion too. Coaches say she should focus on individual goals, and yes, it's been as such in the past years anyway, but it still doesn't make her happy. I am thinking of supporting her encouraging that the path could still be possible by the book, but I would like to fact-check first. She is 14 if it matters, and was told by her coach it'd be more fun to do Xcel at her age. I want to support her dream but don't know what to say, as my knowledge is limited. Perhaps we should learn more about COP for Diamond first? Any insights will be appreciated.

as a parent I would just want to know whether the gym have optional level gymnasts? If they didn't want to do 5 and now 6, is it realistic to expect that they will want to coach 7? Where would the girls come from at that point? Many smaller gyms will group their 7-10 levels, which is fine if your gym already does that but I would want confirmation before agreeing to Diamond.

I come from a YMCA gym and we have sent people from platinum to level 7. Im not sure how different the USAG Xcel to Dp transfer rules are to YMCA though (we have some optionals compete in USAG, but no compulsories or xcels).

as a parent I would just want to know whether the gym have optional level gymnasts? If they didn't want to do 5 and now 6, is it realistic to expect that they will want to coach 7? Where would the girls come from at that point? Many smaller gyms will group their 7-10 levels, which is fine if your gym already does that but I would want confirmation before agreeing to Diamond.
They do. L7-10 train together. In the past years, they trained L5 and L6 together. For whatever business reason, they decided to move my daughter (only one L5 equivalent last year) and plat girls this year (3 moving to Diamond the coming season, all expressing the wish to go back to L6). It does not matter if parents or athletes 'agree' per se. I wish. The owner and coaches decide, and we have to follow their decision. It's a small gym that has no other choices in the area.

The chart and rules are on pages 80 and 81 of this pdf on the usag website. She can transition to L7 by either scoring a 32AA at one L5 or L6 meet or by petitioning in since she is 12 or older.
https://static.usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/Rules and Policies/2023/rulespolicies.pdf
Thank you so much for this resource. It might make sense to at least ask if they're willing to let them participate in the L6 meet to clear this, to give them hope that they can move on to L7 in the future. I suspect there'll be pushback since coaching L6 routines for just one meet would be another hassle for the coaches, and they'll probably say no. But maybe it's worth a shot.

Thank you so much for this resource. It might make sense to at least ask if they're willing to let them participate in the L6 meet to clear this, to give them hope that they can move on to L7 in the future. I suspect there'll be pushback since coaching L6 routines for just one meet would be another hassle for the coaches, and they'll probably say no. But maybe it's worth a shot.
She should be able to use her diamond routine with a few modifications for the L6 requirements. Level 6 uses their own routines vs compulsory. Curious - are all the girls at her level looking to move to DP? If so, then why doesn't the gym have them compete DP? As a parent, I would want more explanation on this. If only a few girls want DP and the rest want xcel, then I can understand not wanting to have two separate meet schedules.

Their routines/skills for platinum and L6 are probably very similar. I don't know the rules for 6 but I'm guessing the routines could just be modified a little to work.

Are they discontinuing their DP Optionals program after this cohort graduates? Otherwise, where do they plan to get their next optionals team without any 5s or 6s coming up? Seems like they may be doing a gradual transition to an xcel-only program, in which case, there won’t be a level 7 to transfer into.

At our gym, we use Xcel in place of compulsory and girls move from Platinum to L7. They require girls to be 12 before moving to L7 to avoid dealing with the score out process. We win a lot so this seems to be a system that works.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back