WAG coach that is not encouraging

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We just got some new coaches. Last night was the first night I worked with them only to find out that they are not encouraging. If I did something wrong, She would say that looked terrible" or "that was awful". They didn't show me how to make it better or how to fix it. It really frustrated me. How do I deal with these type of coaches?

Give it a little time first...a few more practices. Then see how you feel.

Give it a little time first...a few more practices. Then see how you feel.

Yup, it may be a case of the coaches letting the gymnasts know that there's more to come, maybe. Give it a little time, and if all you get is information about "what's wrong", ask for more information......like, ok I get that it's wrong and I want to get it right, so what do I need to do the get it the way you want it.

It feels like coaching and teaching are very similar so I will say this. As a teacher, I hate the first week of school because one of the things I like about teaching is the relationship I have with my kids. It takes days to weeks to build these relationships and things are awkward and not comfortable until that happens.

You definitely should give it time. Your new coach is just as off-center with coaching you as you are with being coached by her. You all will build a relationship (hopefully). You need to teach her how to coach you and she will teach you how to be coached by her. Y'all will figure it out......

Try to give it more time before judging. It will take a little while before the coaches get to know everyone and develop a rapport.

Ask for corrections (nicely, of course). "that was terrible looking!" "how can I improve it?" "straighten your leg when you..."

I think most coaches love athletes who ask how to improve!

I can totally relate to you! My coach is the same way but i've had her for 3years so its kinda sad she has stayed the same. Anyway I find that you have to ask what to do/how to fix it to get answers out of them!
hope this helps!!!:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back