Parents coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't understand her response. It doesn't make sense! she had already been trying to teach him the trick for a year so how could he be going ahead of her pace?

It's really very typical for a younger gymnast to see things from a short term perspective, and once they've "made" a skill they become focused on the result rather than the actions that create the result. It's typical with even L8 - L10 to see a gymnasts falter on a skill they've had because they "move on" and forget to do the things that made the skill possible. The only solution is to incorporate "remedial" drills into their practice time to reinforce the mechanics.

Returning a child to the basics right after they've just "gotten it" creates problems because the child knows they can do it and they think they now know the skill as well as the coach. That's one reason why a very qualified coach knows to run their ideas past a childs primary coach before making a suggestion or correction.........sometimes helping just doesn't help.

you got that right! especially the part about those teenagers that think they know the skill as well as the coach.:) and the older the coach...the more stupid you become...kinda like being a parent...until they return home from college or later and they apologize for being so difficult during those difficult times.:) part of the process.:)

From a coaches perspective, he/she may have handled it poorly, but he/she may have had a reason she was working on it the way she did. Many times when a kiddo works with a new coach and suddenly "gets" a skill it is because this coach decided to just let them throw it. It may actually push him back because all the progression and form work from his main coach may just go out the window. I would much rather have a coach that takes there time to teach a child with proper progressions and form then have a coach that uses the throw and go mentality. It is much safer the way your coach is handling it. Just because a child can do it does not mean it will be done properly, and they can develop some bad habits that are very hard to break.

Your coach may have a God complex and if that is the case I am sorry you have to deal with that, but more than likely he/she is very picky about proper progression, and that is something to celebrate.

I absolutely agree !!!

No he is not in competitive nor in any team. Our gym doesn't even have boys team. Our class became so huge sometimes 12 kids. I put him second time a week thinking it would be good compensation for him. After I told his regular coach about his back handspring she stopped including them altogether for 4 weeks. Well in 4 weeks his backhandspeings got warse. Now he lands on his knees :(

About his relationship to his coach. He said he likes her. But he learned not to expect any friendly chit chats with her.

A solution that comes to mind is scheduling private lessons with someone other than that female coach if possible. Some gyms have rules set that only a kid's coach can do private lessons but generally that refers to competitive kids. Shouldn't be an issue with rec kids.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back