Coaches Coaching Boys in this new Era

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tweez94

Coach
So as we all know boys (especially in the younger years) have a much shorter attention span, and a much greater need to burn off energy than girls do. It has been this way since the beginning of time. However, it seems it is getting worse and worse as time goes on for both genders. With all this era of technology left and right it seems attention spans just keep decreasing. Kids are being taught in schools in a much different manner due to this, my question is, how do we coach to suit these new fast paced minds. In a rec class it isn't as difficult because the emphasis is on fun and not teaching. But in a team environment it becomes so difficult to sit them down and actually explain how a particular skill must be performed and as the kids must hear it "blah blah blah blah." An even larger problem comes down to conditioning, how can we keep them invested in the most important part of gymnastics if many times it is a very repetitive thing. My issue is I was coached by a very old school coach, and our generation wasn't quite as effected as it seems every new up and coming kid is. His oldschool methods worked back then but now that I have grown and moved onto coaching, I have learned I need to adjust my coaching style drastically away from his or I spend the entire practice disciplining rather than coaching.

Feel your pain! That's why I don't coach boys, and have a VERY limited boys class program. Now days every one says their kids have ADDDDHHHHD and give them lots of unnecessary harmful drugs and make excuses for their behavior. I remember the day when a simple slap on the back of the head followed by 'hey dummy, knock that off' worked just great! ;) Good luck, and I can't wait to hear better answers. :)

I try to just keep the conditioning moving. Work with each kid at a panel mat or three kids to an 8 inch or whatever you have and develop some exercises. Push/pull the mat run, jumping and running drills, handstand drills , etc. then after a month change it to conditioning with everyone holding a bar, or using a hula hoop, or a stick or band.

Have all the exercises ahead of time so you can move quick from one to the next.

Yea it's hard now! And I always have ideas for conditioning ahead of time but I change it practically every day. You think even with boys you can get away with having the same routine going for a month before they'll get bored of it? I've noticed the more you change things and keep them on their toes the more you usually get out of them effort wise, however changing it every single day doesn't allow for a lot of numbers and as we all know gymnastics is a numbers game, you think changing the routine up every 4 weeks is a good balance?

I teach girls for that same reason too. Of course girls have a whole set of problems of their own! I have a son, 8 yrs old who just started level 4 this year and I do think he's ADD though never diagnosed. My guess would be on the low spectrum. When I teach boys, relay races for conditioning are a must and I suggest conditioning at the beginning of practice. Get's the wiggles out of their system before having to sit and pay attention. Im forever grateful to his coaches for putting up with him;)
Boys love contests! Just try and keep it to a personal best challenge if on the younger side.

Yea I use a lot of contests and relay races, I've got a tough group of kids I have two that are incredibly talented but can be smart asses (very different ages), I have another who is very talented but not the least bit competitive (refuses to do anything with the word contest in it), 2 that are brutally sensitive and weak (couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag if they had a knife), 1 that has very little talent in the sport and isn't much of a motivated kid so instead of trying harder he doesn't try at all, and the youngest is the last ones brother and by far the most talented but sometimes his brothers negative attitude takes over and becomes contagious throughout the group. It makes things tough but they're is never a dull moment (even though sometimes I'd prefer it)...

Yea it's hard now! And I always have ideas for conditioning ahead of time but I change it practically every day. You think even with boys you can get away with having the same routine going for a month before they'll get bored of it? I've noticed the more you change things and keep them on their toes the more you usually get out of them effort wise, however changing it every single day doesn't allow for a lot of numbers and as we all know gymnastics is a numbers game, you think changing the routine up every 4 weeks is a good balance?

Personally I think the kids like having a routine to some extent and repetition is very important. But they will adapt pretty fast to exercises that are within their ability range. I change the routine about every month.

each of us has our own problems. can't relate to what your saying. our boys program is as strong as our girls along with the whining about how hard everything is. and it has been THAT way ever since i can remember and when i was a gymnast. :)

Ideally you will have side stations on your events.

I could really care less if kids think their conditioning is boring. Yes, it's supposed to be fun but they have to learn to enjoy said drills and conditioning. If not, they probably will eventually weed themself out anyways.

Of course it's important to not make conditioning stupid. Stick to the basics and rotate some exercises around.

If they are busy and working around, they will relish having 30 seconds to just wait on a turn.

That is how I feel about conditioning, I think they need to learn that not everything that you have to do in life will be enjoyable. My ideal team is a small group of incredibly competitive hard working kids that support each other like family members, because this is the type of kid that I want to see in the real world. I guess what I've had a hard time learning is how much harder it is to coach ethics than it would be to coach gymnastics itself haha. It's always a learning process.

These crazy hyper boys often make the BEST gymnasts. They are full of energy, adventurous outs and have a real competitive spirit.

One key for boys is to make it a competition. You can do this with strength and conditioning in so many ways. Have personal best records, age records, class records, gym wide records. Divide them into teams and award points for various achievements. Post records on the wall. Give them each a PB book where they get their personal bests recorded. Make it into a race or a relay. Have them go head to head with another gymnasts to see who can hold that shape longer.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back