WAG College recruitment

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

htimcj

Proud Parent
So how does this work really. We have had several college coaches in our gym the last month ( one was from my alma mater and I really had to restrain myself from saying that I watched EVERY meet there while in college :D ) What are they looking for exactly, how do they decide to come to a particular gym or even a particular meet? There were several major colleges watching the level 10s/9s at Lady Luck earlier in the month. Are they invited? See a particular video on Youtube?

They will make gym visits to check out a kid they are interested in recruiting or who has already committed to their program. Could be they saw her at a meet or on youtube, she sent a video, they know the coaches, etc.

I know there is a gym in our area that hosted a NCAA show case for girls who were level 9/10 and at least 12 years old. So you could check and see if there is a gym in your area doing the same.

There are only two in my area and the other gym doesn't currently have 9s or 10s. I know the girls who are being looked at, one is a junior and the other is a senior. I was just wondering what the process was for getting them to your gym to take a look at prospective recruits.

College recruiting is a two way street! First, I suggest all 9th grade and up kids have a list of their top ten colleges they are interested in. Do some research and talk to other parents & gymnasts who have gone through the process. My daughter started with calling coaches and letting them know she was interested in getting to know more about their programs and the school. These schools were all ones that showed interest in her already by sending her info on the school, camps and following her on social media. Big gyms with large groups of successful level tens will attract recruiters to come in every year. Don't worry if you don't go to one of these gyms. You will just have to be more proactive! Video your gymmies meet and progress in practice, make a youtube page or a website. Send out emails to prospective schools. Don't forget that college coaches can't answer emails until after sept 1 of your junior year and they can't call you back until the summer of your senior year. You however, may call them anytime and you may also have on campus contact as well. Your coaches can call or email colleges as well and speak to them. Have your coach invite schools to come in and see a practice or a competition.

So it sounds like our coach probably contacted the various colleges that have come or they have already shown an interest in them. One girl is a senior and the other is a junior.

Don't forget that college coaches can't answer emails until after sept 1 of your junior year and they can't call you back until the summer of your senior year..

So, how do I keep hearing about girls who are freshmen/soph with verbal scholarship agreements with the colleges?? How does that work if the coaches can't talk to them yet?? Just curious!

Someone told me that I should be cognisant that recruiters may be looking at my 9 year old when we are in the US in a couple weeks at a big invitational meet. I mean, seriously???? A nine year old? I called B.S., but I admittedly I really don't know. This stuff doesn't really happen does it? So much could happen to a kid that young, why would they waste their time when she could quit, get injured, etc. in the next half of her life before college?

So, how do I keep hearing about girls who are freshmen/soph with verbal scholarship agreements with the colleges?? How does that work if the coaches can't talk to them yet?? Just curious!

I have wondered that also. We know a verbally committed 10th grade soccer player, my 10th grader is an equestrian with college riding hopes. I understand that the coaches are allowed to talk to the students but the coach can't initiate the contact and it either has to be a phone call from a student to a coach or an on campus visit. Also the NCAA coach can call the student's coach and mention they would like to talk to them. Then the students coach can say " You should call Coach x and y University". And that is allowed.

Interesting that I saw this now. I was just sent this article from a friend. Not specifically gymnastics recruiting, but about the younger and younger push from colleges to lock up recruiting. Going through it with my son right now. Not fun.

And it speaks to how the coaches are getting around the rules.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/27/s...college-then-starting-9th-grade.html?emc=eta1

Yes, but the coaches are complaining about. They are making offers to 8th and 9th graders that never pan out (injuries, whatever). So, why are they allowing themselves to get sucked in??

Making a commitment that early just seems like it would back fire more often than not especially in gymnastics where injuries and fears and all sorts of things lead kids to quit. Plus there really aren't many freshman out there that know what they will want to do in 4 years. Crazy!

In a recent issue of IG they interviewed the top college coaches, almost all said their big complaint about NCAA gym was recruiting and how they were targeting younger and younger girls. Yet somehow freshman seem to still be committing to top schools.

What would happen if a top school committed to not making any verbal offers until maybe Sept 1 of Junior year of HS?

Then there's the whole issue of early recruits later de-committing from their original school. After all it's just a verbal commitment and there's nothing written in stone. Just because someone has verbally committed to a school doesn't really mean that's where they'll end up.

No, but if they are "caught" talking to other schools they might have the initial offer withdrawn and end up with nothing. I'm sure that is the fear from many athletes and parents.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back