WAG Compete at level 3 or just skip it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmommy123

Proud Parent
This is my first post here, and am enjoying reading all the different threads from the parents and coaches!

My daughter has just switched to a new gym with the original intentions of competing at the new level 3 in Fall 2013. They are now suggesting she compete at the old level 3 for a couple meets this Spring, and move up to the NEW level 3 in the Fall. She has most of her level 4 (3) skills but definitely wouldn't be ready to compete those in a couple months. She hasn't learned any of the old level 3 routines and not sure how much time is taken up learning those routines that she would be doing for only a short time.

What are the downsides, other than cost, for her to compete at level 3? She is very young, barely 6, and really wants to compete. I also want her first experiences to be really fun, so she'll continue to love gymnastics and keep working hard. I don't want to waste a bunch of time trying to perfect routines she'll compete only maybe 2 or 3 times though, if it won't be of much benefit for the future.

I just wrote out this huge reply, and hit the wrong button and lost it. YES, compete level 3, the experience will be invaluable. It will give her a step up, when she starts new level 3, next year. It does take time and experience to learn hoe to compete and to compete in front of judges and an audience. Level 3 routines are simple, it won't take her long to learn them. Every skill she does, will be incorporated into next years routine.

If she wants to do it and the coaches want her to do it, I would say let her, assuming the cost isn't prohibitive (ie she won't have to buy a Leo and/or warm-up that she'll never wear again, significant travel isn't involved, etc.). Whether competing level 3 or even (current) level 4 will in any way help or hinder her gymnastics development has been a hotly debated topic here on CB, but bottom line is that you want it to be fun, and I think competitions at this level are mostly for fun (or should be).

If she wants to compete, I would let her. My dd loves the competitions and it motivates her to improve. All kids are different, but this works for my dd. As an above poster said, if she would need a different leo than she will be using in the fall, I would skip it as that can get costly, but otherwise I don't think it can hurt.:) Good luck on whatever you decide and welcome to Chalkbucket!

Well, at our gym, we do a 1 week summer camp every July It is 5 days, 2 hours a day. On day 1, the girls are evaluated and placed into groups based on ability. On day 2, they start to learn routines on floor and beam as well as working on skills on bars and vault. On day 3, they work more on their routines. They either learn the Level 1/2 routines or the Level 3 routine or the level 4 (modified) routines.
Day 4, they work on their routines more. On day 5, they work a little more, then they do a showcase, in which they do their routines. They can do them solo, in pairs, or in a group of 3 or 4. We have girls that learn the Level 3 or 4 routines in that short timespan and debut them less than 8 hours later.

I tell you all of this to let you know that your daughter could certainly learn the L3 routines and be ready to compete them, so if cost is not a factor, it wouldn't hurt... and it WOULD give her competitive experience.

If she wants to do the meets cause she's looking forward to competing, etc. I say do it...competing is fun for them, especially if they are in a position to do well (have all the skills solidly, good form).

Gymnastically, however, after having the hindsight of going through the progression of starting w/ a 5 year old who had never done gymnastics before, to the point that she is now a 10 year old L6, I really don't see a need to start competing until the current Level 5...that time spent working on routines and going to meets in Level 3 and 4 would be much better spent working on a kip and the beam cartwheel that she needs for Level 5 and beyond in my opinion. I guess I just don't see as much progression/future need w/ the Level 3/4 routines/skills as I do w/ Level 5. The Level 5 skills are important forever (except maybe the FHC), not so true w/ the things in Level 3/4 (like that mill circle on bars :()... The cost of competing is pretty pricy too...money that can be saved for the even higher costs of the higher levels. Of course, all gyms handle how they bring kids into their competition system differently, so parents will often need to just follow standard process for their kid's gym...like not competing just isn't an option sometimes ;)...

As others have said, if she wants to compete and they think she is ready, let her compete. I teach and have a few level 3 girls in my class. They just had their first meet a few weeks ago and they were so excited. At that age, they are all about the leotard, the sparkles, the whole experience. They love being with their teammates and generally aren't stressed about it! The more experience the better!

Our gym does not compete levels 1-3, nor do many in our state (from my experience). IMO, 5 is young to compete. Part of me says to just wait until next year with the level/skill changes, as there is an expense with it and current level 3 is not all that meaningful. That being said, she would be ablel to learn the routine within a few practices. It amazes me how easily the learn choreography!! So learning one and then another routine shouldn't be a problem.

Upside, getting accustomed to learning a routine and performing it in front of judges. Experience is powerful.
Downside- stressful learning it quickly? Does she have all the L3 requirements? Our L3s struggle with the mill circle.

Personally, at this point, I think I would continue up training and really rock the new L3, but that is probably because my DD still needs to get some more L3 bars training (ie- front hip circle) and she hasn't even tried the new dismount. She has spent the last 3 months learning and cleaning her routine. They're just now starting some up training.
So, I guess I'm saying to go with what you think your dd can handle, for this season and next.

I love competition, so I would always say that you should compete. New 3 has most of the skills of old 4, which is where most people start competing anyway. Competing new 3 seems in line with the norm.

my dd did some non-sanctioned meets when she was 4 and now that she is 5 we are doing sanctioned meets.. she still struggles with the floor routine a bit and usually competes with the words.. the coach would also be there next to the beam telling them what is next if they looked lost.. i love watching her compete and she loves competing.. i say do it!!

Thanks so much everyone for your feedback. Sounds like it's not a bad idea to let her compete at a couple of meets, so long as she can wear the same leo/warm up in the Fall. She doesn't understand, at this age, anything about stress or nerves at competitions. She just enjoys "showing off", wearing a cute leo, and having her hair done pretty. She's been talking about competing now for over a year, so I know it will be exciting for her. She thinks she's a teenager and should be working with the level 10's, as far as she's concerned, lol.
Thanks again!

She just enjoys "showing off", wearing a cute leo, and having her hair done pretty. She's been talking about competing now for over a year, so I know it will be exciting for her.

Yup, that's what it's all about (and SHOULD be all about) at that age. My DD used to say that she felt like a famous person on meet days.

although i'm not in favor of kids competing at these levels because of competency issues, i then say go with what the coaches want her to do.:)

lol...let's hope just the competency of the kids at that level. i shudder to think otherwise.:)

LOL! I sure hope the coaches are competent! In fact, hopefully the coaches AND kids are competent before competing, even at a low level.

Another question on level 3 skills... I see some routines with different skills swapped out, i.e., floor routine, press up to bridge kickover, or fall to bridge kickover, or back walkover. Also on bars, I see some do a cut-over, and others a shoot through, and I see different dismounts. Vault, some do a dive-roll and others a flatback.... etc.. Does it matter if those skills are changed?

or could you possibly be looking at both L3 and L4 routines? for vault for example, the roll is L3, the handstand fall flat is L4.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back