WAG Compete at level 3 or just skip it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

or could you possibly be looking at both L3 and L4 routines? for vault for example, the roll is L3, the handstand fall flat is L4.

In L3 AAU, gymnasts do handstand flatback for vault just like L4. Different programs have slightly different routines. Even within L3 AAU, there are different "types" of AAU--AAU National rules and AAU Florida rules for example. There are differences in routines for these as well. For example, AAU National rules do not do an actual mill circle on bars and the mount for bars is a pull-up and over. For AAU Florida, there is a mill circle and the mount for bars is a glide/back to pull-up and over (like USAG L4).

LOL! I sure hope the coaches are competent! In fact, hopefully the coaches AND kids are competent before competing, even at a low level.

Another question on level 3 skills... I see some routines with different skills swapped out, i.e., floor routine, press up to bridge kickover, or fall to bridge kickover, or back walkover. Also on bars, I see some do a cut-over, and others a shoot through, and I see different dismounts. Vault, some do a dive-roll and others a flatback.... etc.. Does it matter if those skills are changed?

DD does level 3 with usag JO
The floor is press up to bridge, kickover (no backbend or walkover)
Bars is cut over (not shoot through- L4)
Vault is dive roll (not handstand flatback - L4)

I don't know about judging/scoring, but DD is NOT allowed to do a back walkover. She does them beautifully, much prettier than a press-up kick over (which is ugly, IMO).

In L3 AAU, gymnasts do handstand flatback for vault just like L4. Different programs have slightly different routines. Even within L3 AAU, there are different "types" of AAU--AAU National rules and AAU Florida rules for example. There are differences in routines for these as well. For example, AAU National rules do not do an actual mill circle on bars and the mount for bars is a pull-up and over. For AAU Florida, there is a mill circle and the mount for bars is a glide/back to pull-up and over (like USAG L4).

I gotcha, I was just offering an alternative to what she was seeing. We don't see AAU around here.

That helps a lot... thanks :) I was watching youtube videos, just so I had an idea of the routines, so I was confused why the skills seemed to vary quite a bit. I agree on the press up to bridge kickover, not very pretty... was hoping she could just do a back walkover instead, but oh well. If she has fun, it doesn't really matter. There will only be a couple meets at this level anyway.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back