Gymnasts Competing after graduation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

0IDK0

Gymnast
I've been doing gymnastics ever since I was young, and I'm currently an Xcel Platinum. I've loved the sport for as long as I can remember. I'm torn between continuing to compete after this season, or stopping, since I'm about to graduate in 2 months and go to college in the fall. There are still a lot of skills that I want to accomplish, and I love the feeling of competing, but I'm afraid that I'll be too old for the sport. I wasn't sure where else to post this, but I just wanted some advice on what I should do.

I've been doing gymnastics ever since I was young, and I'm currently an Xcel Platinum. I've loved the sport for as long as I can remember. I'm torn between continuing to compete after this season, or stopping, since I'm about to graduate in 2 months and go to college in the fall. There are still a lot of skills that I want to accomplish, and I love the feeling of competing, but I'm afraid that I'll be too old for the sport. I wasn't sure where else to post this, but I just wanted some advice on what I should do.
Depending on where you live there are growing opportunities for adult gymnastics and you can continue Xcel as long as you want! I’ve seen Xcel definitely through college so it could work whether you wanna stay in Xcel through college then go to adult gymnastics or make the transition sooner!

I made the choice this year to stay another year after graduation and it was the best choice for me. I do feel old at times but honestly I have accomplished so much that I wouldn’t have gotten the chance too.

There are still a lot of skills that I want to accomplish, and I love the feeling of competing, but I'm afraid that I'll be too old for the sport.
I've started gymnastics age 24, and am now hoping to start competing next year age 27.
Chusovitina just became national champion age 48.
You are never too old for gymnastics.

However, I can get being worried about training or competing with girls that are a lot younger. For training: at least for the first years I wouldn't worry too much about it. The difference between 18 year old seniors and 19 or 20 year olds really isn't that big probably, and it can be fun too to be a bit ahead and tell people all about the cool experiences that are in store for them if they ask about it.
When it comes to competing, I don't know how the US system works. Again, at first I don't think there'll be a big difference. But when you're getting into 21+ ages you may want to look into adult competition options if you still find yourself competing against 17 year olds.

But that's the thing: there are adult competetive options in the US when the time comes. I really wouldn't worry about the age thing. If and when it becomes uncomfortable, you'll notice and you can make a change when that time comes (to an adult option either for training or for competing or both).

maybe do college club gymnastics (naigc) if your college offers it? i am also currently a platinum, but next year i am a senior and possibly thinking of doing naigc in college after next season!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back