Parents Competitive Rock Climbing...anyone ever heard of this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes! Myt DD's BFF does competitive rock climbing. Her gym is as big as DD's gym, but covered in simulated rock faces. I don't know much about the sport, but I can tell you that competitions are usually pretty far away. Her mom is always telling me about trips they have to take to neighboring states here in New England. I guess there aren't as many rock climbing teams as there are gym teams, so to compete you end up driving pretty far.

Along with all her safety ropes, she wears a belt with a bag of chalk while she's climbing. AFAIK, it's the same chalk our gymmies use. She also gets these super cool little shoes that help her stick to the rocks.
You asked if it's safer? I don't know of any reports that compare competitive rock climbing to gymnastics, but I can't even begin to imagine that it isn't safer. I've never ever heard of any kid getting hurt doing it. There is no actual "rock" climbing in competitive rock climbing; it's all very controlled and simulated. I think "dangerous" rock climbing is done by those who are doing it as an extreme sport (like free climbing) and not competing in a rock climbing gym.

Funny because I just took my dd to our local "rock gym" last week for the first time and was surprised to see that they have a team! I was afraid they were going to try and recruit her! She loved it and is already asking to have her birthday party there (7 months away). LOL

I don't know anything about the sport but it looks fun!

Well after two broken hands (displaced fingers and this last time left one finger bent pretty badly), 2 broken feet, sesmoiditis, and both bones in her arm broken...she is finally done with gymnastics....it was pretty much the back handspring on beam that did her in...she loved the sport but is tired of being broken and hurting. She is thinking that this rock climbing thingy will be lots of fun and another of her gymnast friends is thinking of quitting as well and doing it with her I guess....I have not seen it but she is pretty excited to try it. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Looks like this is what my Level 8 gymnast has decided to do instead of breaking herself any more at gymnastics....not sure...is this safer????:confused:

Rock climbing is really a lot of fun and very safe. There are some risks, but nothing like gymnastics. If she is bouldering (lower walls, no harness, crash mats underneath), there is a risk of rolled ankles or the like if she falls wonky, and of course, rips are pretty common. If she is climbing taller walls, and therefore attached to a rope system in some way, the risk is even less. Other than constantly bruised knees and a few rips, I haven't had any injuries---and I am ridiculously injury prone (torn ligaments in both ankles, tore the UCL in my hand twice, fell down the stairs three times requiring hospital visits, etc).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back