WAG compulsory music

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I didn't think the compulsory music could be worse than ours, but upon reflection, Australia has made some pretty decent choices.

Here's the one I hear all the time in the gym...pretty sure I know this routine and music well enough by now that I could do it with my eyes closed!

No, the one before that. That was the "new" choice introduced half way thru the last cycle.
Oh. My. Gosh. I remember hearing this and thinking how happy I was that our gym kept the 1st one, as bad as it was. All the new choices at the 4 year mark were so dreary, I actually felt annoyed and depressed listening to it at meets. Level 4 was terrible and so dreary. The funniest thing was parents defending their gym's choice in using this "scary movie basement" music when I would ask them how they could stand it. :D Oh, the reasons they gave! It was always a relief when my dd's level 4 team would get up and use the original happy music.

I didn't think the compulsory music could be worse than ours, but upon reflection, Australia has made some pretty decent choices.

Here's the one I hear all the time in the gym...pretty sure I know this routine and music well enough by now that I could do it with my eyes closed!

The music is really cool, but the routine is a little boring. It reminds me of the elite compulsory routines. Our routines were made much "dancier" this cycle.

Reactions: sce
Oh. My. Gosh. I remember hearing this and thinking how happy I was that our gym kept the 1st one, as bad as it was. All the new choices at the 4 year mark were so dreary, I actually felt annoyed and depressed listening to it at meets. Level 4 was terrible and so dreary. The funniest thing was parents defending their gym's choice in using this "scary movie basement" music when I would ask them how they could stand it. :D Oh, the reasons they gave! It was always a relief when my dd's level 4 team would get up and use the original happy music.
I agree. We kept the old music too. I was so happy. Eventually, we did make the switch though :(

As bad as the stripper music was -- and this is coming from someone whose daughter did two years of old L5 -- at least it was musically coherent. The current iteration of L4 sounds like it was written by a fractious committee.

Jard, most of yours seems perfectly inoffensive, but I gotta say that listening to Doe a Deer 45-50 times over the course of three hours might give me brain damage.

Last edited:
I started gymnastics right when the new levels came out in 2013. I have the level 4 floor routine and music permenantely stuck in my head because I practiced at the same time as the level 4s for 3 years! If I ever forget it it, it will be a miracle.

Okay, yes I hear it in that music. Also, can't imagine hearing that one over and over. Wow on that kid's performance though!

I can kinda hear it as well.

I remember in Year 9 my school had a dance unit. They got a local dance teacher to choreograph a routine. The problem was that what she had choreographed was seriously...racy. Very stripper-esque music as well. People christened the moves some saucy (but accurate!) names, which I won't repeat here in case some of your children are reading :) Needless to say, I think I got a D in that unit. A wooden statue could have done better than me.

What's interesting about that Level 5 routine is that although the music is quite loose and swing-y, the choreography is very rigid. The Dutch are known for their artistic expression, and I would say that @Jard.the.gymnast 's examples reflect that better at lower levels, as well.

Very glad not to have sat through that. Yep sounds like there should be clothes flying.

Although the coregraphy seems easier to hit.

Reactions: sce
At my kid's first gym preteam practiced at the same time as team. I remember the old L6 routine having stripper music with kicks choreographed to the boom-CHICK! boom-CHICK! But maybe I am mistaken and that was L5?

We just finished wish the renaissance faire music, which according to my estimate we heard approximately 1,632 times at meets, and are now looking forward to hearing the taco truck music at least 714 times this season. My daughter jokes about trying to skip L5 so we only have to hear the clown horror movie music once.

I can kinda hear it as well.

I remember in Year 9 my school had a dance unit. They got a local dance teacher to choreograph a routine. The problem was that what she had choreographed was seriously...racy. Very stripper-esque music as well. People christened the moves some saucy (but accurate!) names, which I won't repeat here in case some of your children are reading :) Needless to say, I think I got a D in that unit. A wooden statue could have done better than me.

What's interesting about that Level 5 routine is that although the music is quite loose and swing-y, the choreography is very rigid. The Dutch are known for their artistic expression, and I would say that @Jard.the.gymnast 's examples reflect that better at lower levels, as well.
The problem in American compulsories is that even though the routine starts out flowing and dance-y when it is new and taught to the coaches, it morphs into almost a soldier-like quality. This old routine was not supposed to be rigid, but by year 8 is was like March of the Wooden Soldiers. The new routines were made to incorporate more dance and be more graceful, and there is supposed to be a deduction for performing it rigidly. But, alas, even these very dance-y compulsory routines have again evolved into rigid, unexpressive routines.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back