Confused mom of a late starter

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Pickle's Mom, you have hit on one of the things that bothered me the most, the fact that the coach's story changed without any explanation. I just don't really trust the gym anymore.

I am not sure of exact numbers, but not all the pre-team kids moved up. I would estimate less than half. Some were told to move to the exhibition class if they wanted to continue. Some, like my dd, were invited to stay in the pre-team. I am sure that some new kids were invited to join the re-team. This mostly at the beginning of summer.

Summer is a very relaxed time for the pre-team class at the gym. There is no camp for them, and they are permitted to register for as few classes as they want. So I don't really see how anything much would have changed with the class itself. Having been in the exibition class over the summer wouldn't really put dd beind most pre-team girls.

I pretty much think that the coach decided either that they didn't want to bother with a kid who had already had one injury or they felt that she should not have needed time to mentally recover after her injury. I can't change those facts about her, so it is probably better for us to move on.

If we stayed, dd's gymnastics career would be over in a year or so. The skills taught in the exhibition class are limited. It would be very difficult for any child to go from the exhibition class at this gym to the team. The exhibition class is offered for fewer hours, and some of that time is devoted to learning routines which are more dance and moving in unison than gymnastics. The gym says that it is possible for girls to move from the exhibition class to the level 4 team, but no parent I talked to could remember that happening. Clearly, the coach is writing dd off.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back