WAG Consequences in elite gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

surfergirl

Coach
Proud Parent
I am wondering about the consequences that are given out at elite gyms, and the treatment of the kids.

My daughter is training at an elite gym and she is eight years old. (There are elite level athletes in the gym that compete at the international level). Mentally it is tough even on me.

They expect her appearance at practice to be perfect. God forbid her hair is not correct, they have threatened to cut it several times. A few times a month someone else drops her off for me - if that person sends her in with the wrong hair I hear about it.

The other day she received ten ropes for a minor infraction in the gym. It may have been a misunderstanding, or maybe she was disrespectful. The coach also mentioned she was not doing a skill that she previously had done well. I did not see it but I know the coach yelled at her until she cried. Then the coach gave her 10 ropes and she has marks on her body from it.

It appears to be old school training? Do 50 tucks on the floor(mat) until you land it correctly. This concerns me.

My daughter loves the gym and there are certainly good things about it too. However I have made huge efforts (driving, financial, time, etc). To arrive at the gym after a very long drive and then have to hear about her appearance for practice (and she looks like a lot of other girls there) is very discouraging. I don't think they are picking on only her. I think it happens to other kids as well.

I value any feedback you have. Is it like this in other elite gyms?

I would be very concerned with that harsh treatment...especially over hair?? I totally get the need for standards and maintaining a proper training atmosphere in the gym, but 50 of anything as a punishment except maybe v-ups seems too much. That's my Mom opinion anyway.

Hi. It was 10 ropes as the punishment. Having to do 50 tucks is not a punishment, it is just the way they train the kids some days. I do agree respect and standards are very important. I have tried my best to do this and teach my daughter to do the same. Thank you for the reply Seeker!

But they have made kids do something 100 times....a dance sequence or press handstands....as a punishment. This doesn't happen often but I have seen it done. I agree that is too much.

Please send a conversation (PM) to dunno. He will be able to tell you honestly and privately if you are at a gym that is overly harsh. If they have elites, he knows them and their gym and their reputation and he is not afraid to give you a straightforward opinion.

Sounds like a puppy mill approach. They'll push, prod, twist, and stretch any kid who doesn't fit their description of elite material. If the kid can't handle it, they just find another to tweak to their standards, and then another, and another....... repeat as needed to find another top level kid.

Sounds very questionable. Does this gym actually have anybody on the National Team or even JO National Team?

Sounds very questionable. Does this gym actually have anybody on the National Team or even JO National Team?

They had someone on the 2012 Olympic Team U.S.A. and there is another Olympic gymnast from another country that also trains there. Also yes to the junior national team.

The ropes thing is hard to judge without context. Ten ropes sounds like a lot, but our boys do ropes all the time and it's a rare practice that they don't get in ten. The coach does use them as discipline, but he also uses them sort of as a game for the boys, i.e., if you guys don't all make X skill, you all get two ropes. Or if everyone's waiting for the floor, do 3-4 ropes while you're waiting. Miss a skill because of lack of focus or attention, and you're likely to be doing ropes (though I think he does not always judge this one perfectly). If someone were to walk into the gym and see it with no context, it might look harsh or punitive. With the hair and the other things, though, the context sounds troubling to me.

Agreed that the best thing is to ask Dunno.

Thank you everyone. I just sent the message to dunno. It says conservation with 2 people.....I am hoping I did this the correct way and it is private.

Just because it's an elite gym it doesn't give them the right to complain over her HAIR... The gym I'm at, the HC treats everyone at the gym like they're their kids. The only time there is any yelling at all is when a kid is fooling around and that it could cause someone to get hurt or when they are rude to the coaches.

I have heard of dance schools being nit picky about hair; but not a gym! Around here it is generally, "neat and out of the face, secured so that it won't come down" and that is it. They get strict about it for competitions; but for practice a pony tail, braids, what ever, it is all fine.

Just because it's an elite gym it doesn't give them the right to complain over her HAIR... The gym I'm at, the HC treats everyone at the gym like they're their kids. The only time there is any yelling at all is when a kid is fooling around and that it could cause someone to get hurt or when they are rude to the coaches.
I meant to add the HC has coached elites too. I just reread my post now.

I am wondering about the consequences that are given out at elite gyms, and the treatment of the kids.

My daughter is training at an elite gym and she is eight years old. (There are elite level athletes in the gym that compete at the international level). Mentally it is tough even on me.

They expect her appearance at practice to be perfect. God forbid her hair is not correct, they have threatened to cut it several times. A few times a month someone else drops her off for me - if that person sends her in with the wrong hair I hear about it.

The other day she received ten ropes for a minor infraction in the gym. It may have been a misunderstanding, or maybe she was disrespectful. The coach also mentioned she was not doing a skill that she previously had done well. I did not see it but I know the coach yelled at her until she cried. Then the coach gave her 10 ropes and she has marks on her body from it.

It appears to be old school training? Do 50 tucks on the floor(mat) until you land it correctly. This concerns me.

My daughter loves the gym and there are certainly good things about it too. However I have made huge efforts (driving, financial, time, etc). To arrive at the gym after a very long drive and then have to hear about her appearance for practice (and she looks like a lot of other girls there) is very discouraging. I don't think they are picking on only her. I think it happens to other kids as well.

I value any feedback you have. Is it like this in other elite gyms?

this gym has only ever had 1 elite gymnast. and he was an Olympian. you pluralized. and if any of them have competed internationally, it was NOT representing the USA. it was representing their own gym.

this gym has only ever had 1 elite gymnast. and he was an Olympian. you pluralized. and if any of them have competed internationally, it was NOT representing the USA. it was representing their own gym.
Yes there were other gymnasts that competed internationally but did not represent the USA. Sorry if I wrote it the wrong way.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back