Parents Crop tops and shorts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Shhh my child prefers to wears boy short underwear under her Leo then her hot pants over that, if you took those shorts off her little boy short underwear would be showing everywhere. It makes me lol but it's what makes her happy. This is her first year competing and when she found out no shorts it was a memorable moment.

I'm guessing these aren't permitted in our current gym or the the trend hasn't hit. We are a no shorts over a leo gym so I would think this would fall the same way.

My DD was also in dance up until this past yr and she would wear the tight shorts and open back dance tops or dance tanks. Which looked appropriate to me.

My daughter does wear a 2 piece swimsuit. I'm ok with that because in order for her to wear it, I have to be a party to picking it out. Asked her once why only 2 piece ( bikini not tankini) and she said it always felt like she was swimming in a leo. Guess when you spend that much time in one it may feel that way.

Not sure what our new gym policies will be yet. But if I know my kiddo, it won't matter because a leo is what you wear to practice in her eyes.

This made me giggle. I was at the pool today with the kids and there was a girl there swimming in a GK leo. Really pretty one at that. I wanted to run out and buy her a swim suit -- those leos are far to expensive to swim in. lol

Ummmm... I am struggling to think of a bar skill when done correctly that has the stomach on the bar.

Crop tops are common here, I am used to it now. They have pros and cons. Come on parents you are getting all upset about a child's stomach muscles showing, to me that just looks athletic. Not to mention they probably cover way more that that leotard you bought with growing room while your child wears no underwear...I'll take the bare midriffs over that any day, Yuck.

No one is "all upset". Not sure where you go that. I have a set of modesty standards in my home and a clothing that shows tummies does not meet that requirement. I also do "crotch checks on my DD's leos to make sure we don't have any flashing in that area. DD is allowed to wear shorts so I am grateful for that with some of her leos that do gap. Others are free to set their own standards. I have read this thread as a friendly, "how do you feel about it?" thread :)

DD's gym doesn't allow team to wear loose clothing. The girls can wear the tight shorts over leos or with a tight fitting tank on tank-top Tuesday. :) The tank does have to cover their stomach because of bars.

Pineapple Lump, I was thinking the same thing, why should a child's belly button ever need to be touching the bar? At our gym, it is leos only, no gym shorts, very strict.

DD old gym went through a phase when the older girls took to pulling their leos down to the waste and working out that way (sports bra on top, shorts and remnants of leo below). It was quickly kibashed.

I do think that a no shorts policy leaves the pubertal and shy girls with fewer options to feel comfortable and focus on training rather than worrying about how they look, so I'm glad gym shorts are allowed at DD gym

I think they're quite common in Aussie gyms, especially in summer. I don't think anyone at DD's gym wears them - they have a training uniform for the lower levels, and upper level girls all seem to wear leos and shorts, even in summer. I don't mind them on older girls, though. I'd probably say no if my nearly 5 year old DD wanted to wear one, though!

I'd still prefer it to the "too-small" leo look...or one poor rec girl at DD's gym, whose parents haven't grasped the difference between figure skating outfit and gymnastics leotard, and who regularly send their lovely but quite big DD to gym in a very small, glittery, low-cut, almost see-through figure skating costume with pencil thin straps that struggle against gravity and a frilly skirt...

I can see not wanting bare midriffs for modesty or for having a uniform look to a team during practice, but the spotting/hitting the bar thing doesn't make sense to me. A lot of boys' teams allow the guys to work out shirtless and they do this thing called high bar.

(Not an issue for me, as DD always wears a leo and DS always wears a singlet.)

I'd still prefer it to the "too-small" leo look...or one poor rec girl at DD's gym, whose parents haven't grasped the difference between figure skating outfit and gymnastics leotard, and who regularly send their lovely but quite big DD to gym in a very small, glittery, low-cut, almost see-through figure skating costume with pencil thin straps that struggle against gravity and a frilly skirt...

I'm picturing bars and vault in a glittery frilly tutu, and it's making me giggle.

The crop sets aren't allowed at our gym, but they sure are a big hit at the cheer gyms.

MY gymmies almost HAVE to wear 2 piece swimsuits because of long torsos. OG has found a Speedo one piece that ONLY gaps in the back at the bottom of the back opening. When I purchase their swimsuits, I go for the most conservative 2 piece ones available... tankini top and boy short bottoms... sometimes I have to do the mix-&-match because tankini tops are usually paired with skimpier bottoms and the boy short bottoms are paired with triangle tops.

All summer, they wear leotards (with or without shorts over). We just stay away from velvet and long sleeves :)

The only shorts with writing on the butt say SOCCER and they were not purchased by me... and I try to hide them whenever possible.

MY gymmies almost HAVE to wear 2 piece swimsuits because of long torsos. .

Same problem here! Mine is tough to fit in leos but at least it can be done. But, it was 100% impossible to find a one piece swimsuit this season. Size 7/8 was much to short in the body and 10/12 was sagging and gapping all over the place. Why can't the swim suit makers use the same sizing template the leo makers use? (Thank goodness the problem isn't the other way around though!)

Haven't seen any two piece outfits in our gym yet...don't think there is a rule against it though.

YG
Same problem here! Mine is tough to fit in leos but at least it can be done. But, it was 100% impossible to find a one piece swimsuit this season. Size 7/8 was much to short in the body and 10/12 was sagging and gapping all over the place. Why can't the swim suit makers use the same sizing template the leo makers use? (Thank goodness the problem isn't the other way around though!)

Haven't seen any two piece outfits in our gym yet...don't think there is a rule against it though.
YG (age 9) can STILL wear her 4T and 5T bikini swimsuits... but the tankini top of her 5T shows off her 6-pack. The year I bought it, we were upgrading from a 2T... which STILL actually fit her, but the material was too thin. Her new one is a 7/8... but I had to put tucks in the shorts to keep them up.

The largest size my 10 year old can wear is a 6 and then the bottom sags. All of the one pieces are very little girlish and my "wanting to be a teenager so bad" child hates them. So I buy bikinis and just am thankful that she shows a six pack rather than a keg.

My DD has the opposite problem -- she's very slight and has a short torso, but has gymnast shoulders. We just went dress shopping for her upcoming bat mitzvah, and let me tell you, it wasn't easy! (But probably easier than it will be to find a suit for DS if he's still a gymnast when it's his turn.)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back