Parents DD has lower back pain only while doing back walkovers on the beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All good thoughts! If she does have to take a lot of time off, be sure to ask about when she can do light conditioning. One of DD's teammates is just back to full practices after a long time off, but she insisted on being in the gym as much as she could despite a very conservative treatment plan, and I think it helped her come back faster but it also helped her to be less depressed and anxious. Not sure whether she'll be a L8 or a L9, but she looks great despite having missed several months of training.

Her teammate who had the stress fracture -- is she the same level and age as your daughter? It could just be extraordinarily bad luck, but if your DD does have a stress fracture, I'd be somewhat concerned about two cases in compulsory gymnasts under age 10. Coaches, what do you think?

From what I'm reading here and even with people I know, it seems to be somewhat common in new level 5/old 6 because of too many BWOs, particularly on beam. I was just talking w/ a friend from my daughter's old gym that told me 3 girls on her daughter's old level 6 team had stress fractures in their backs in that season. It's pretty crazy to hear how common it is! I wish there were a way to avoid that in the first place....

Well, do the alternative of the BHS on beam. The BHS will help her in the long run in gymnastics than the BWO anyway. A gymnast just needs to do so many repetitions in order to compete a BWO in the level 5 routine - or in any routine - that it can be a problem for the back. If she is already having problems, even if it isn't a stress fracture, maybe switching to the BHS would be better for her. I hope you get good news this week.

From what I'm reading here and even with people I know, it seems to be somewhat common in new level 5/old 6 because of too many BWOs, particularly on beam. I was just talking w/ a friend from my daughter's old gym that told me 3 girls on her daughter's old level 6 team had stress fractures in their backs in that season. It's pretty crazy to hear how common it is! I wish there were a way to avoid that in the first place....

There is. Drastically limit the number of BWOs, ensure that they are performed with correct form, and work on shoulder flexibility so that the back isn't as stressed. Right, guys?

Three girls with back fractures at L6? Red flag. With two, I'd worry.

There's an old thread on this in which some coaches said that overuse injuries of this nature should not be happening routinely with girls as young as your daughter. I'm reluctant to link to it, because the individual at the center became pretty defensive and upset, but hopefully some of the coaches will pop in and confirm.

Not sure when the injury occurred exactly gymmom. She would have the pain sporadically during practice pnly- none at school, home, gym class. Some nights she could get through the 4 hours pain free and other nights it would start and she would sit and ice it. She was training to test out of new L4 at the time and was able to compete at that meet, but told her coach after the first event (vault) that it was hurting a little. Took a few days off from practice and when she went back it was starting to affect her on bars and floor. That is when I pushed for the MRI and got the diagnosis.
My dd's teammate who was also diagnosed with stress fractures is 11 and was having pain off/on for a much longer period of time. She was having pain even at rest (sitting) and with walking. She did have to wear a hard brace for a few months.

Yes, there is definitely a way to avoid this type of injury. I am "just a parent", but I spent a lot of hours in the gym (not necessarily watching my daughter -- other reasons to be there even before she was a gymnast). I also have some sports experience in the past that allows for a bit deeper understanding of certain things. At a minimum, all coaches should be educated about the risks associated with the BWO and the increased potential for overuse injury when learning BWO on beam; this is not an unknown or rare phenomenon in gymnastics. Any coach with a few years experience would likely possess this knowledge, so that is something to consider -- how experienced are your coaches?

I would also think that most coaches should be able to identify gymnasts with a higher potential for this type of injury due to their familiarity with the gymnast up to that point, how they perform skills, any limitations in flexibility, fear issues, etc.. Those with a lack of shoulder flexibility and the inability to do a good, straight BWO on a line on the floor are clearly going to have a longer learning curve in moving the skill to the beam. We have all seen gymnasts that do not go over the 'center' when doing BWO...they kind of swing their leg out to the side and then over. This is generally due to that lack of flexibility (primarily shoulder/upper back; sometimes leg/split flexibility) and probably a bit of bad habit thrown in too. This method doesn't really have a 'consequence' at the end when they do it that way on the floor, but when they move that skill to the beam and perform it in that manner, they will either fall (hence more repetitions and an over-dependence on the lower back when trying the skill) or they'll have to torque their leg back to center at the end of the skill to stay on (translates to a lot of twisting and unnatural torque in the lower back).

I would think that an increased focus on shoulder flexibility in the levels leading up to this skill would help somewhat. A lot of time is spent on splits and leg flexibility, but it seems a bit less so on other parts. Shoulder flexibility is important long term, especially for upper level bars work, but this level may be the first time a gymnast is really challenged physically due to this specific limitation. Starting to work on that when they're lower level and learning it on the floor should help somewhat. I understand the challenges in getting a younger/lower level/less-mature gymnast to understand why they really do need to do it the way the coach is asking them to...truly, that is a challenge across all skills. But maybe there are other things they can do to lead up to this skill that would make the learning of it (even on floor) easier. Really work that bridge position during daily routines (straighten arms and legs; work to move shoulders over your head) so that they're able to get the "center" of the skill in the right spot when it comes time to learn the BWO (fulcrum of the skill should be the aligned head/arms/shoulders, not the lower back). When DD was younger, I did see them working this a bit during their warm-ups, but not a lot of attention was focused on addressing those that were not doing it properly. A bit more focus early on in increasing flexibility and mobility would likely go a long way. But that takes time and sometimes it's hard to justify when you've got routines to teach and mill circles to learn.

The other thing that seems to make this particular issue worse is moving the skill to the beam too quickly. It's really not that hard to tell if they've got it well enough on the floor to move it up. I understand that they need to try it on the beam (even the floor beam) so they get the feel for it and can prepare themselves mentally for this skill, but attempts there should be limited. Often, they're given an assignment to get 3 or 5 good ones or whatever, and if they have to attempt it 30 or more times to get to 3, that is too many. They should be limited in the number of attempts per day, you get what you get out of X tries and then move on. Working on the BHS sooner seems better too....that skill is far easier on the back and many gymnasts find it easier than the BWO once they master it. Mentally, I think that that prospect of the BHS is more difficult for a gymnast to embrace, so they have to be ready to commit to the skill. But I would be willing to sacrifice a fall at L5 Beam if it means saving a back or two. It's not the end of the world if they don't get it...it won't hold them back long term as the beam skills in the higher levels move quickly away from the BWO anyway. So...attempt to learn it, but limit the numbers to what can be safely performed. I feel that this is one skill that really needs to be watched as they work on it (not just sending them off to work on it rather independently). Coaches can intervene earlier for those that need it and can strictly monitor attempts/limit repetitions.

That's my very long winded 2-cents anyway!

My DD is training new level 5 now and while she is doing back walkovers on the beam she gets lower back pain. It doesn't bother her any other time and never bothered her before while doing them on the floor. I took her Urgent Care and the doctor didn't think it was anything other than muscle strain and gave a prescription for an anti inflammatory and told her to avoid back walkovers/back bends for a week. Her back felt totally fine and went to doing back walkovers again on the beam and it bothered her again during practice but she is totally fine after practice is over. Any thoughts?
I haven't read any replies and know you posted a few weeks ago but STOP back walkovers and take her to a pediatric ortho! someone (such as Urgent Care) without specific athlete/ortho experience won't necessarily have concerns.

Having been down the back road, it's not something you want to fool around with and she is at the age/level where it could be an issue!!

Agree with Bog & Dunno. She should not be doing them at all (on floor or beam) if she's having pain.

An 8yo/L4 at DD's gym had back pain and nothing was about it for a long time (until the coach told her parents she could not return without clearance from a doctor). She was able to do a lot, but she had persistent pain. She is now in a back brace with a significant stress fracture in 2 vertebrae that requires her to wear a hard brace for at least 3 months.

Don't mess around with back issues...take her for an x-ray.
x-ray won't always see stress fracture....if there is an issue, they should order MRI

More unfortunate developments with my daughter. She decided to be "honest" with me last week and told me that she was having pain also in her lower back. She was afraid to say anything because a teammate who had a stress fracture, had it in the same place and she was afraid of the same thing and not being able to go to gym. I took her back to the orthopedic Dr last week and he suspects it may be a stress fracture, spondylolysis. She is getting a bone scan done tomorrow. I am dreading it all! Hoping so much that it's not but I have a terrible feeling it is.
I just finished reading the entire thread. Wondering what the results were after your appointment the other day?

My daughter had a stress fracture. She was in a brace for 4 months. She was allowed to condition and after the first 6 weeks, she could do some running and jumping. She was allowed to swim so if your daughter does wind up needing a brace, know that it doesn't ruin the summer that way!

Also, I think I read that there are 2 girls with stress fractures in their backs at your daughter's gym. If this is true, that might concern me. While it's a 'common' injury at a certain age/level, I don't think it's that common and I woudl be worried that it is speaking to improper teaching of the skill. Coaches on this list might be able to address this more.

Good luck!

The 3 girls with the same injury was from her old gym, not her current one.
She got a bone scan done yesterday and I am waiting to hear the results. This wait is completely agonizing!

Great news!!! DD's Dr called tonight. He got the report back from her bone scan and she does not have a stress fracture!!! He said it's a tendon/muscle pull away from the bone. He says it's a much better injury to have than the fracture and an easier, quicker recovery!

not so fast...this can lead to a stress fracture because this tendon/muscle is what supports the vertebral structure. understand? no back walkovers, no back handsprings and no front handsprings.

I get that. So what you are saying Dunno is that had she continued what she was doing, she could have possibly ended up with a stress fracture?
At this point she needs to avoid doing those back bendy things? I'm wondering at what point she will be able to do them again?

yes, and yes. and when she is pain free for more than 6 weeks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back