WAG Dd moved to 4

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm okay with dd repeating 4. I guess I was just a little discourage because I felt like this coach has not given my dd a chance to excel in 4 and she's already putting her down before even the season starts. I guess encouragement is what I'm looking for especially if she's saying all,these things in front of my dd. A coach saying dd won't do good this season in front of my dd is a little too much too handle.

Maybe you can put a positive spin on this for your daughter? I don't think scoring all 9's is an unreasonable goal. It sounds like she had a great season and, if she works hard, will have another great season. Congratulations.

Ps, level 4 is exponentially harder than 3. I would not expect 9s until the end of the season.
Level 5 is not terrible except for Bars, which is much harder than 4.....and the L5 dismount is easy compared to the KCFH and so on.......and don't forget the increased hours, and doubling of conditioning......let your dd enjoy her move up. This is wonderful.....savor it!

I am not certain that I fully understand the problem. Your daughter met the coach's requirement to move up. So, it sounds like her move up was planned, but you pulled her aside to talk about DD's near future.

Repeating a level, particularly 4 is common in my area. I wouldn't read anything into the coach expressing this. As many have said, better to be prepared and possibly possibly surprised with a move up than to expect only one year on 4 and have to repeat. This season, almost 50% of the L4s were repeats. I can't say for sure, but I would guess that more than 50% of this year's first year L4s will repeat next year. Competition is tough here, particularly in the optional levels. Our HC wants to make sure the girls have a very solid foundation before they are thrown into that arena.

I wouldn't look at it as putting her down or not giving her a chance. I'd say it's more likely the coach is just setting very realistic expectations with a parent who is really invested in her dd's level placement. I think of you try to change your point if view you may have a more enjoyable time with gymnastics :)

Eh, try not to think too much about it. What happens will happen. She just might just really come into her own and only spend one year in Level 4, and my guess is if that happens the coach will be just as happy as she will be! She also may be sending the message that she shouldn't be devastated if she repeats 4, since sounds like maybe she was on the bubble to stay 3. Or perhaps she was trying to fire her up to meet the challenge? Either way, help her be positive and have fun. It will be fine either way. From what I heard this year, in our area the judging for Level 4 was much tougher than for Level 3, in terms of getting nines. Wobbles on beam, no 9 score in 4. Possible to get over a 9 in 3 with a wobble or two. Next year is a long way down the road...

Take a deep breath, relax and enjoy. You and your DD know at the outset what the coach will expect for move up to L5 - that's good - now she can just work on L4 for however long it takes. L4 is MUCH different from L3 - many gyms skip L3 altogether and just train kids for L4 because its where the "real foundations" come in - kips, front handspring vault, etc. Perhaps your DD will do great from the get go - then the coach has told you he will "reward" that with a move up ( although actually, 9s in all events shows mastery....which is important for move up.). My DD went straight to old L5 (new L4) and spent a couple years there (initially only training, then competing) - she pretty easily got to high 8s by the third meet - but to get all 9s took over a year - and actually she didn't quite make a 9 in bars (close). Just did a few meets at old 6 then straight to L7 where she was getting 9s in all 4 events by the third meet (just not all 4 events at each meet - but STILL did 2 years of seven to get really consistent and then STILL stuggled with getting the L8 flipping vault.

I'm happy for you and your DD that the coaches silly rule about state placement didn't cause an issue - I still think its very unfair - but expecting mastery at a level before move up (if mastery is set at a 9) seems very appropriate. There will always be room for individual differences - like DD bars when she was only 3 ft 9 inches tall....but in the end as they hit optionals you really can see the kids who moved up quick with scores significantly below 9s hit a wall in general (not counting phenoms or kids doing 20 hours a week at age 7 here.....

Oh, and although it seems that doing the FHS vault for 3 levels (4 if a kid does optional level 6) may make vault scoring "easy", they do score a L7 doing that vault more strictly than a L4....DD vault got better each year - and stayed about a 8.9-9.2......as she moved up the levels, moved her vault to higher settings, etc to prepare for someday flipping....

Gymnastics isn't school. Repeating a level is not like failing a grade. If you look at repeating a level as equal to failing a grade, you will be offended and unhappy. If you equate one year of gymnastics to one level, you will be unhappy. Just enjoy the ride. Skipping/repeating/moving forward...whatever happens, as long as your daughter is happy, it's all good.

Gymnastics isn't school. Repeating a level is not like failing a grade. If you look at repeating a level as equal to failing a grade, you will be offended and unhappy. If you equate one year of gymnastics to one level, you will be unhappy. Just enjoy the ride. Skipping/repeating/moving forward...whatever happens, as long as your daughter is happy, it's all good.
Thanks @cbifoja this was a good reminder for us

I'm okay with dd repeating 4. I guess I was just a little discourage because I felt like this coach has not given my dd a chance to excel in 4 and she's already putting her down before even the season starts. I guess encouragement is what I'm looking for especially if she's saying all,these things in front of my dd. A coach saying dd won't do good this season in front of my dd is a little too much too handle.
I get where you're coming from as I used to feel similarly about DD's coaches sometimes. DD just finished her 3rd of competing & I still feel brand new. Long story short, DD is unbelievably talented, amazing. One I would consider a 'phenom.' She has had her struggles from time to time, but she seems to impress almost everyone she meets. (Really not trying to boast here so I'm not trying to impress for the record.) Anyway, notice the almost above? Guess who the almost refers to....her coaches, or so it seems from time to time (sometimes we catch a fleeting glimmer, but not often). The point is that we not only pay coaches to train our gymnasts, but to also lead, guide, & direct them & sometimes, when it is necessary, to keep us, excited, doting, hopeful parents, level headed. I don't think your DD's coach has given up on your DD's ability to have a very successful season next year, but instead, she's giving you a heads up that next year the skills will be harder, the competition stiffer. Actually, you could take a sense of reassurance completely opposite of your prediction from her comments. She could mean that even though the competition will be harder and stiffer, she has confidence that your dd will succeed (all 9's), but it may take a year or two. Reassuring further that she is taking your DD's future goal into account (fundamentals for optionals) should she repeat. Also note the 'unless,' your DD's 2016-2017 'level' has not been etched in stone. Relax! & enjoy! Savor these relatively easy to comprehend and understand compulsory seasons.

I guess encouragement is what I'm looking for especially if she's saying all,these things in front of my dd. A coach saying dd won't do good this season in front of my dd is a little too much too handle.

Being realistic is not the same as putting your daughter down. I don't understand why you would want DD's coach to lie to her. Saying, "We require consistent 9s in all 4 events before a move-up. That will likely take 2 years for you." is hardly a put down.

My daughter had kind of a rough day yesterday. Her dad was upset with her for something else (school related, not gym related and was totally legit), so she didn't exactly arrive at gym in the best frame of mind. Then she was upset because her coaches were "yelling" at her (they weren't). She was misinterpreting corrections and realism as "yelling at her" even though not one of them ever raised their voice with her. She has one event that is holding her back a little bit right now, and they are just trying to help her get that elusive 9+ in that event... something she's been achieving in all other events all year. Sometimes the truth isn't always easy to hear, but it's necessary. As I told my daughter, you have to trust your coaches.

Try to be thankful that they are being upfront and honest with both of you. In the long run, even if it stings a bit now, you'll be happy for their honesty.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back