WAG Didn't make new team - Need gym advice - Boston

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AREA: Greater Boston

BACKGROUND: Daughter is Level 5 gymnast at non USAG gym. 10 yo, not short, not super tall. She is not a phenom but becomes more talented the harder she works and she is a hard worker. Very consistent.

CURRENT TRAINING: 3 days (9 Hours) Her coach is only there part time, a teenage coach fills in the gaps. Very supportive gym, older equipment, a little small. The gym has budget constraints which don't allow for the most experienced coaches.
In addition to her team training she takes an additional low level class at another gym to fix and polish form which was not corrected early on and an extra tumbling class at yet another gym (hard worker).

My daughter is interested in moving to the next step in training and wants/needs better coaching and more hours. For example: When I videotaped a meet she had no idea her split jump on beam was low because no one ever told her.

She tried out at a top gym in the area and didn't make the team. The feedback was tumbling and bars. When asked for specifics, they said front tuck and cast to handstand. Both skills are new skills. She does, right now, land in a squat on her front handspring. According to my daughter there were other girls on he team who landed on their bottom. Cast to handstand she doesn't have. They said she could try out for prep op novice, which to be honest actually shocked me. I'm not delusional about her skills and I knew going in it was a stretch, but prep op novice doesn't allow any high bar, no big vault, no back tucks. As far as I'm concerned, she is past novice. The coach said she felt bad because she liked my daughter, she's a hard worker, makes corrections, and listens well. This is always nice to hear but felt a little like 'it's not you, it's me'

It does feels like a catch 22. In order to make the team at a different gym, she needs to be better, but in order to be better, she needs a different gym.

Her level 5 skills are pretty solid. Things that need work from an untrained eye (mine) are connection on bars, higher jumps on beam, straddle jump on floor. Up training she has her robhbt, not perfect but good, bwo on beam with tiny spot, although everyone (including coach at competitive gym) says she doesn't need it because they're not doing anything, and free hip on bars (right now inconsistent).

Unfortunately, I was not versed on gymnastics when she began, so her early training was less than desirable for the more competitive gymnastics community. She has worked hard to fix those problems. Now again, because the current gym is not USAG and we do not compete against those teams I do not know which gym(s) would be good for her to look at to see if she is up to their standards and that she feels comfortable in.

Any advice/options for gyms with good reputations, more hours, etc in our area would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I am guessing which gym you took her to. I am sure that they have been inundated with girls this year and have the option of being super picky!! Are you close to that gym? Is that the area you want to stay in? How far would you want to travel?

The only advise I can give you is to try another gym. Where is the gym she takes the low level class and tumbling class at? At her current gym, what level do they top out at? Front tucks are level 6, but many level 5s have them. Cast handstands are level 7 but many level 6s have them. Maybe the top gym just is not the right fit for her. Keep trying and be honest to the coaches as to what you are looking for in a gym. With the season over, many kids do look for a change. There is nothing wrong with that. You are a paying customer. Just have realistic expectations and not expect her to be the right fit at every gym. My oldest did a gym switch last season. She tried, I think, at least 7 gyms before she decided where to go; and I work at a different gym than she goes to.good luck!

Move her to the other gym and do prep novice. If this is a good gym, they certainly won't ask her to stop progressing, and she'll be seen and corrected by coaches who have more to offer. It may take a year for her to get to the point of "making the team," but that's a whole lot faster than *never*..... if you know what I mean.

I am guessing which gym you took her to. I am sure that they have been inundated with girls this year and have the option of being super picky!! Are you close to that gym? Is that the area you want to stay in? How far would you want to travel?

We are close to that gym. That general vicinity is where we want to stay. The furthest I would be willing to travel would be about 20-25 miles, or time wise 30 minutes.

Well, not sure where you are now, but some gyms in that general area with girls near the top at the level 5 states are NESA in Westwood, Elite in Ashland, Shens in Holliston, Exxcel in Newton. Those may be a bit far. I would look on the Mass Gym website and look at the meet results.

Move her to the other gym and do prep novice. If this is a good gym, they certainly won't ask her to stop progressing, and she'll be seen and corrected by coaches who have more to offer. It may take a year for her to get to the point of "making the team," but that's a whole lot faster than *never*..... if you know what I mean.

Before I did this, I would want to check out the prep op team, their coaches, their hours, their progression... One gym in our area has the waiting area plastered with pictures, stats, etc. of their "team", and on one dusty builiten board in the back corner there is a single picture of the prep ops. The prep ops are coached by college kids, and I am sure that mobility between the prep ops and JO is virtually non-existant. It is very different at our gym, where the prep op girls are just part of the larger team, the coach is amazing, and this year we had a number of prep op girls score out of levels 5 and 6 who will be doing optionals next year.

I agree about looking for a different gym. Even if she ends up repeating 5 to fix the form stuff, it will still be an improvement from where she is now. And I would think that a little bit longer drive might be an OK trade for not having to take her to three different gyms! I assume neither of the other two gyms you take her have a team that you're interested in?

Whereas I see the prep program being an integrated and valuable asset to this gym, the training hours are considerably less than what she is training now and drastically different from their J.O. program. I can't see my daughter (or many others) with this limited practice schedule being able to make the transfer into to the J.O. program with kids who have been training 4x the hours.
Of the two other classes she's taking, one was at the gym she had the tryout. We discussed the other gym but although she enjoys the class she is not the most comfortable in that gym. She also had taken a camp there last summer and asked about their level 5 and a coach told her 10 was too old for level 5. I don't think it was the HC and I know it wasn't the owner, but I think it definitely planted a seed in her brain that even if she were to try there she was too old.

AREA: Greater Boston

They said she could try out for prep op novice, which to be honest actually shocked me. I'm not delusional about her skills and I knew going in it was a stretch, but prep op novice doesn't allow any high bar, no big vault, no back tucks. As far as I'm concerned, she is past novice.

I know that you are looking for JO, but I wanted to just mention that novice (now called silver) allows high bar and back tucks. The vault is the vault table with a mat stack behind it.

Fortunately for you, there are lots and lots of great gyms in the area, several have been mentioned in the thread. Here's the state results for all levels this past year: Meet Results
Take a look and you can get an idea for the strength of the programs throughout the levels. Some gyms are able to be super picky, but there are many others who would welcome a hard-working kid with solid, workable skills onto their team. Good luck with your search!

She also had taken a camp there last summer and asked about their level 5 and a coach told her 10 was too old for level 5. I don't think it was the HC and I know it wasn't the owner, but I think it definitely planted a seed in her brain that even if she were to try there she was too old.

As the mom of a former 10-year-old level 5 who is now a 12-year-old level 8, that makes me sad. Why do some gyms do that?

As the mom of a former 10-year-old level 5 who is now a 12-year-old level 8, that makes me sad. Why do some gyms do that?

Makes me mad. My DD was a repeat level 5 (did 2 level 6 meets) as a 12 year old. She now has almost all of her level 7 skills. She won level 5 states this year and has become a really solid gymnast, even if she is a little "older."

It all comes down to the philosophy of the gym.

I know that you are looking for JO, but I wanted to just mention that novice (now called silver) allows high bar and back tucks. The vault is the vault table with a mat stack behind it.

Thanks for the info. I had read that it was the equivalent of J.O. level 3-4 and that those skills weren't allowed.

Unfortunately it's still not a consideration at that gym because the hours are so minimal.

I have no idea. I know that every gym is different but so isn't every child and some peak early and some peak later. It broke my heart when she told me someone had said that to her.

I didn't read everyone's replies, but I have a good guess where she tried out. IMO keep looking. There's a happy medium between the gym she is at now, and the gym she tried out at. Good luck to her- there is a better program out there for her!

My take is that the "good gyms" are all relative. what is great and outstanding for one may not be the best fit for every child. those high pressure "awesome gyms" for my DD just make her nervous and stressed we are now at what would be called a "less competitive" gym but she is thriving there and advancing in her skills as are many of the other optionals. So don't think just because its the big competitive gym that it will be the best place around. Look around give some of the gyms a "try it" class and see what you think. but in the end its your daughter that has to do the gym and the first thing to look at is will she be happy and have fun or will she be miserable and crying all the time (ive seen that at some of the "bigger" competitive gyms a lot). Know your DD's learning style and find a gym that works that way. Remember just because its the bigger gym and has the rep for winning doesn't mean its the best fit for your DD.

We are at a great gym south of the city, so it may be too far for you to drive, but we love it. My DD does prep-op and the novices go 6-7 hours a week. The gym has both prep op and JO, and some of the teams placed first in states. They also has a bunch of prep op kids qualify for regionals.

I know the gym you are referring to ...and don't take it personally, they're not very nice, even to their own gymnasts at times...I'm surprised that they didn't take your daughter on for their Prep Op or level 5 team because I've never known them to turn away tuition money...they've had a waiting list in the past and there was a FEE to be on that!!

Given the area you're in and want to remain in, I would consider a few of the prior posters suggestions...NESA or Excell would be within a half hour and they have decent programs...there's even a new gym run ( and owned I believe) by a former Excell coach, South Shore Gymnastics Academy in Rockland...they've had some good results and as they are fairly new, that might be an option as they probably would welcome additions to the roster...

Each gym has an age ability standard that they go by. You just have to find the correct fit for your daughter. Don't be angry at the gym, for not taking her,, this happens in all sports everywhere. thats why they call it a tryout. ..

I know the gym you are referring to ...and don't take it personally, they're not very nice, even to their own gymnasts at times...I'm surprised that they didn't take your daughter on for their Prep Op or level 5 team because I've never known them to turn away tuition money...they've had a waiting list in the past and there was a FEE to be on that!!

Given the area you're in and want to remain in, I would consider a few of the prior posters suggestions...NESA or Excell would be within a half hour and they have decent programs...there's even a new gym run ( and owned I believe) by a former Excell coach, South Shore Gymnastics Academy in Rockland...they've had some good results and as they are fairly new, that might be an option as they probably would welcome additions to the roster...

Agreed. A friend of mine trained at the elite level with them and has said that.

Bookworm, that's where she went! I couldn't think of the name of her new gym. **I'd second bookworm's suggestion and recommend checking South Shore out.

I also have a friend that had great experiences with MGC-Waltham as an upper optional. The owner is great and easy to talk to, as long as you don't mind dry humor--which I think is funny, personally, and the manager there is very friendly and open.

Good luck!

Each gym has an age ability standard that they go by. You just have to find the correct fit for your daughter. Don't be angry at the gym, for not taking her,, this happens in all sports everywhere. thats why they call it a tryout. ..

I never said nor implied I was angry at the coach with the team she tried out for. I understand that standards are different everywhere, particularly as a former Division 1 Collegiate athlete. I was shocked at the recommendation of prep novice which I still am but shocked is not anger. The whole reason for posting was to get ideas for gyms that would fit the type of gymnast she is.

I am angry at the coach at the other gym who flippantly made a comment to a 10 year old that 10 was too old for Level 5, regardless of their age or ability standards.

As a business owner, if one of my employees made a blanket comment to any of my customers indicating that they were too old, too young, not wealthy enough, too thin, too fat etc, they would be fired immediately. There is a level of decorum and tact that should always be followed in business especially when dealing with children. If the coach had merely said 'I'm not sure you'd be happy since right now the whole team is 7 and 8, I think you'd be happier with this', then the point would have been made without hurt.

That's what good coaches and teachers do, steer the pupil in the right direction without slamming the door on their aspirations.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back