Parents Dietary Needs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

4theloveofGym

Proud Parent
Our daughter is almost 9 and is competing level 7 this season. She trains between 20 to 22.5 hours per week. My question is related to dietary needs. We feel like overall she has a fairly balanced diet that includes: protein, carbohydrates, fruits and vegetables, etc. We just wonder if anyone has any insight as to the how to ensure a young gymnast training this many hours gets the correct balance of protein for muscle growth/repair and carbohydrates for energy. I want to stress we DO NOT want a diet and we do not limit her from normal kid pleasures we just want to make sure she is getting what she needs for training purposes and to maintain a strong immune system. Has anyone ever consulted with a dietitian or how do you handle your gymnasts dietary needs?

I suggest contacting a local or regional Children's hospital and asking for recommendations for a registered dietitian that is experienced with child athletes. If you look using our search features you will find lots of suggestions for healthy dinners and snacks that our members enjoy.

Dr. Josh, a regular here, well known in the gymnastics community, and I can personally say a really great guy runs a site called gymnastcare.com. There is a ton of great info on nutrition, safety, injuries and self care specific to gymnasts. He has a program called Stay Fueled that is a nutrition program tailored to child athletes and supporting them nutritionally in a way that works for families. It might be something to check out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back