WAG Dizziness before practice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RisingGymnast

Coach
Gymnast
Since my gym closed (first gym I went to), I've been feeling dizzy/headachey/nauseous before practice. I left the 2nd gym I was at, because I wasn't fond of the coaching. I'm now at a new gym but the problem still persists.

Can this be a nervous thing? It worries me because I love gymnastics but never feel 100% before practice.

Has anyone experienced this before? Thank you in advance!

Yes, could definitely be a "nervous thing." DD complained about similar symptoms... would feel fine all day but would start to get headaches and feel dizzy as it got close to time for practice. She's always been such a laid-back, easy-going kid that none of us recognized it for what it was. I took her to the doctor thinking she had some sort of bug, but the doctor didn't find anything and it continued. It wasn't till one night when she essentially had a nervous breakdown at practice that we all (DD, coaches, me) realized that it was stress-related. Meet season was coming and she was struggling with some of her level 7 skills. She hasn't really had this problem (or at least hasn't complained about it) since then (nearly 2 years ago now). The coaches addressed the nervousness (took beam and bars off the table for the first meet so she could focus on floor and vault and not stress about the skills that were slower to come) and I think DD was better able to handle her feelings once she knew what was causing them. I would say that, after you go to the doctor to rule out a physical problem (lingering ear infection or something?), let your coaches know and maybe tell them that you think it is stress-related due to being at a new gym. They may have some suggestions for you. Also, I know that it's summer, but a guidance couselor at school might have some suggestions as well. I'm sure they work with kids all the time who are stressed out about being at a new school or who have text anxiety and may have some tools for you to use to get through it.

I would say it's anxiety or nerves since I feel the same way before competitions. One of my former teammates switched gyms, and would even vomit before gym. I'm trying out a new gym next week and I am already feeling these symptoms, even though I'm good friends with many of the girls and know all of the coaches very well.

This seems extremely childish considering I'm sixteen, and I am SUPER embarrassed to suggest it, but I really do feel better if one of my parents walk me into gym and stay until training begins! It may also help for you to text one of your teammates and see if they're at practice yet- and it's much less ridiculous :)

I find it also helps to have all of things I need for training organized the night before. Pick out your leotard, pack your gym bag, set your water bottle in a spot where you will remember to fill it & bring it, and figure out your snack before you go to bed.

Good luck!

Thank you all so much! I think it is nerves, I'm probably going to wait it out a little longer since I'm starting to really like my new gym. It was my second day here, so it may take some time to stop being nervous. I didn't know that nerves could call all of that! If it continues longer is will see a doctor as soon as I can. Thank you all.

It will definitely take some getting used to especially if it's only your second day! They will pass. It also may be worth seeing the doctor about it if you experience these symptoms before anything you do, as it could possibly be an anxiety disorder- I have one myself. Good luck :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back