Parents Does anyone else feel the financial pressure?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

needcoffee

Proud Parent
or is it just me? This sport seems to be not for those with shallow pockets... (ie me). Took all my effort not to burst into tears his arvo when the coach told me this years Comp Leo would set me back $150..

I was already wondering how I was going to pay next terms fees.

Arrggghhh anyone have a time machine?

or is it just me? This sport seems to be not for those with shallow pockets... (ie me). Took all my effort not to burst into tears his arvo when the coach told me this years Comp Leo would set me back $150..

I was already wondering how I was going to pay next terms fees.

Arrggghhh anyone have a time machine?
We find it to be cheaper than ballet...

Is this your first season?

I Remember that shock. Warm up 100, comp Leo 150, backpack/gym bag 60 bucks and guess what I know you only joined Monday but the order is due Thurs, cash or check only. Oh and everything except the Leo has their name embroidered on it so you won't be selling it to a new gymmie when yours out grows it. And then you pray the year for another new Leo coincides with your kids growth cycle. Which I know, I won't luck out for because this year she will need a new size and we are not changing Leos, which means it will probably be next year. Oy. :eek:

And then the meet fees, coaches fees, team year end Leo, admission, hotels, gas, tolls, meals, summer camp weeks, music, privates for individual floor choreography, additional privates for fine tuning. My guilty pleasure of paying for the professional pictures, end of year yearbook, plaque, banquet.

Yes, I work for gymnastics. And we have my paycheck sent to our joint and my personal checking. Because my husband says he enjoys gymnastics much better when he doesn't see how much it actually costs :D

Is that what you mean? :rolleyes:

And yes when I hear what others spend on dance, I'm grateful.

This is our second season, last year didn't seem so bad somehow though! Less hours = less tuition fees. Comp Leo was only $60. Didn't need grips. I had a friend to car pool with and share the fuel costs.

Not to mention we were earning twice last year what we do now.

I want to cry.

And then the meet fees, coaches fees, team year end Leo, admission, hotels, gas, tolls, meals, summer camp weeks, music, privates for individual floor choreography, additional privates for fine tuning. My guilty pleasure of paying for the professional pictures, end of year yearbook, plaque, banquet.

As far as I can tell, we don't have to pay a lot of these additional costs in Australia, but maybe it depends on the club. I don't think we have the same "travel meet" things happening here in the same way and I don't think we have to pay for choreography, the coaches seem to do that out of the kindness of their hearts :)

Where did you find a place that only charged $10 a lesson for ballet?? That's impressive.

Not to mention we were earning twice last year what we do now.

I want to cry.
Ouch! :-( and the extra hassle of not carpooling really takes it out of you doesn't it. Hugs.

Are you sitting through practices? Have you thought of doing a coaching course and helping out with rec classes? It will offset the costs at least.

Are you sitting through practices? Have you thought of doing a coaching course and helping out with rec classes? It will offset the costs at least.
Or work at the front desk.

It's a very expensive sport. We will live a very different lifestyle when gymnastics is no longer part of our lives.

Yes! I just paid $200 for grips (high bar and rings, two sets of each so there is always a backup). There's always something!

Reactions: sce
Yes. We live mostly on one income. I homeschool the kiddos and only have time to work very part-time. We struggle to keep up with our gym bills...but want to support her and her talent the best we can. I'm thankful that we seem to be at a "lower" cost gym...no choreography fees, etc. But dd practices 5 days a week and travels for meets, so the $$ adds up.

For those of you who constantly struggle to pay the bills, how does that affect your CGM status? I often have to remind myself *not* to push my dd or ask too many questions about practice. I struggle with the idea that we are putting so much $$ (not to mention time and energy as a whole family) into gymnastics. I don't want to think of her skill as an investment for college...she's a 10 yo level 6 at a very small gym (and we love her coaches and teammates, she scores very high at all of her meets, and she is uptraining a good bit, so sticking with them for at least another year) I sometimes find myself wondering if I should move her to a "power" gym so her future options aren't limited. (<--grass is always greener, right?!) I think this struggle comes (for me) from the fact that the $$ is a big deal for our family. How do you *not* transfer the financial stress onto your precious gymmie?

Hubby and I were joking the other night that with the cost of her tuition, meet fees, Leo's, warm ups, coaches fees, trips to Texas, etc we could just plunk down the cash and pay for her college instead. Ha! The things we do for our kids.
That's not so much a joke.

If you are counting on athletics to pay for college, better off putting that money away and save it for college.

I don't want to think of her skill as an investment for college...

Again if you think of athletics as a pathway to paying for college you are likely to be disappointed.

This is an activity that my kid does. The only return on my investment I expect, is she becomes a strong kid and have fun. I hope learns a good work ethic. I hope she learns that she can make her body strong. And that practice and hard work pay off with regards to hitting a skill and getting stronger. Gym lessons transfer over in all areas. Gee honey those math facts are taking some time. Hmmm how long did it take you to get the kip. And how did you finally get it. Oh practice.

The gymnastics money is gone, it is our disposable income and we dispose of it. Its not investment income.

I send her off to practice with "Have fun storming the castle"
On the way home, I ask if she had fun.

Before a meet as she heads of to the floor, Do your best and have fun. I can not wait to watch you.

We never mention gymnastics as a pathway to college when we talk to her.

Right, ldw. I agree with all of that. I am immensly proud of dds work ethic...which pours over into all other aspects of her life. She is amazing. But for some of us, the idea of disposable income is not a true reality. Of course I understand that we are not putting gym money away as an investment in college. But we struggle for every penny and want to be able to support her and her passion *now*. She knows I work to make ends meet. I just struggle with making sure she is getting the best training. Currently at Small gym, with loving coaches, great team mates, and she performs well at meets...but only a few gymnasts at higher levels and those will quit next year. Conundrum. :-\

Ah yes paying for gym is not for the faint of heart and unfortunately it only gets worse. That $150 leotard will soon be a $300 leotard. Tuition will climb as the hours increase, as will the extras... PT, massage, chiropractor, grips, tape, pre-wrap...

Meet season will go from drivable local meets to flying. Used to pay for maybe one hotel a year, but this year 4/6 meets required a hotel stay.

Then add in floor routines at $550 a pop and if your kid moves levels fast she may need a new one for level 7, 8, 9, 10... Literally a new expense around every turn.

We've learned to grin and bear it and do all this while being as frugal as possible. It is what it is and won't change.

That's not so much a joke.

If you are counting on athletics to pay for college, better off putting that money away and save it for college.

It actually is a joke. It's called sarcasm. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Chillax sister. If you actually took time to read the post it stated "my hubby and I were JOKING around." My daughter was nowhere near us at the time. You really need to read something before judging others and you really need to lighten up.

Last edited:
YEEESSSSSSS!!!

As I like to say, we're pretty budget-conscious here. ;) DD is training 6/7. DS was just officially invited to move from pre-team to the level 4 boys team. When poor DS brought that note home (all excited and proud), I thought DH was going to have a stroke. And that in itself was not at all an unexpected thing! I think DH had just been in denial, LOL.

Not even considering tuition... Just thinking about costs for this upcoming year (new leo/warmup for DD, singlet/shorts/pants/warmup for DS, optionals and boys meet fees for the first time, twice as many meets to pay to travel to/attend... And on and on THAT list goes).

I simply prefer to pretend they're just nonspecific "bills" we must pay. Goes down easier.

But gosh, the look on DS's face when he got the invite to level 4 team? And the look when he realized he'd get a gymnastics warm-up of his very own? Absolutely priceless. Worth every penny.

Not to scare you, but it will only get worse. The costs go up every year. i thought long and hard (for 2 years) before signing my 2nd dd up because this time we KNEW the costs. But we did it anyway. sometimes it does make me want to cry too. Especially when something new pops up. I'm sorry you are struggling. Hopefully it is just temporary.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back