Parents Does anyone else feel the financial pressure?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Right, ldw. I agree with all of that. I am immensly proud of dds work ethic...which pours over into all other aspects of her life. She is amazing. But for some of us, the idea of disposable income is not a true reality. Of course I understand that we are not putting gym money away as an investment in college. But we struggle for every penny and want to be able to support her and her passion *now*. She knows I work to make ends meet. I just struggle with making sure she is getting the best training. Currently at Small gym, with loving coaches, great team mates, and she performs well at meets...but only a few gymnasts at higher levels and those will quit next year. Conundrum. :-\

I absolutely get what you're saying. I think *most* parents know deep down that a legit return on the "investment" of gymnastics is not going to come to fruition. That's true for most kids' activities. But i appreciate your honesty about it because when money is tight, it's not easy to separate the money from the emotion. We make a choice to put very hard earned money towards gymnastics instead of a myriad of other things. I know that's true for everyone, but for some, after gymnastics there's not much left. It's the parents' job to not reflect that onto their gymmie, but it's not easy and pretending like it is or should be helps no one.

Yes! I just paid $200 for grips (high bar and rings, two sets of each so there is always a backup). There's always something!

Did your coaches ask you to have 2 each? THat seems like a lot that he will outgrow before you get to use them :(

We are a one income family too, so I feel your pain. We are so fortunate to have such an amazing booster club. We pay tuition, and a few of the extras, but the bulk of the competition fees (uniform, USAG, warm up, bags, travel, coach's fees and camp) are paid by the booster club.

It actually is a joke. It's called sarcasm. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Chillax sister. If you actually took time to read the post it stated "my hubby and I were JOKING around." My daughter was nowhere near us at the time. You really need to read something before judging others and you really need to lighten up.
No actually my "you" was a global you, many parents of young athletes (if you had read what I wrote, you would have noticed I said athletics, not gymnastic. I was speaking very broadly)

It's a discussion, about finances.
Many parent of young athletes think of it as a pathway to fund college. Most of the patents end up being wrong.

And my second post regarding paying for athletics was in response to another poster's question.

Gopuckgo you need to chillax, just because I quoted something in your post doesn't necessarily make it personal. This last part was personal, I used your name :D

Peace to you.

Yes it is expensive. But I think many sports are just that way. Not much consolation I'm afraid.

Our oldest daughter's sport was equestrian: hunter/jumper. And we didn't own a horse. So, by comparison, sometimes I think we are getting off cheap with gymnastics!

Yes it is expensive. But I think many sports are just that way. Not much consolation I'm afraid.

Our oldest daughter's sport was equestrian: hunter/jumper. And we didn't own a horse. So, by comparison, sometimes I think we are getting off cheap with gymnastics!

Yes, its all relative.

But i appreciate your honesty about it because when money is tight, it's not easy to separate the money from the emotion. We make a choice to put very hard earned money towards gymnastics instead of a myriad of other things. I know that's true for everyone, but for some, after gymnastics there's not much left. It's the parents' job to not reflect that onto their gymmie, but it's not easy and pretending like it is or should be helps no one.

Life choices, financial choices "s&ck". I came late to the parenting game. We have a small blended family. A 21 yr old and 9 yr old. I could stay home, but we wouldn't be able to do the activities we do. (and we hope to retire someday :)). I just figure much of my income (which will back to full time by then) when we get her to college, will be to fund her college and our retirement, which I hope will be shortly after retirement.

Any ride money be academic or athletic or music, would a welcome surprise.

We do the best we can with what we have and do whats right for our families. And that would be the global "we" :D

Whenever I feel the pinch from paying for gymnastics, I remind myself how lucky I am that it isn't horses or ice skating.

Whenever I feel the pinch from paying for gymnastics, I remind myself how lucky I am that it isn't horses or ice skating.
I was talking to one set of grandparents at the gym and they were talking about after their DD was done with horses they totaled all the spent up and it was close to $800,000.

Not that helps when money is tight. Gymnastics is a big financial commitment. And time. But the rewards are worth it for the kids.

Reactions: sce
Hi OP, recently at our gym there was a sake of second hand comp Leo's (Dd's was only worn for Nat clubs at the end of last year when it looked like the second skin of a boa constrictor- as all correctly fitted comp Leo's do LOL) and needed a new one this year as she grew ever so slightly over the summero_O:eek:

Our gym doesn't hold these sales regularly but a group of Mums initiated it- is this an option where you are? Or is there a bigger gymmy where you are who has retired/ worn their Leo once who would be so happy to on- sell their ( probably worn once :) Leo to you)?

Our team is quite close so usually we know who has a Leo no longer being used- ask around; or maybe put up a notice? Good luck!!:)

I love my gym... we will potentially be getting 3 girls from 2 clubs transferring to our gym. We had a meeting for parents of girls potentially moving up to team from our rec program and the parents of these 3 girls came.
When HC was giving numbers, they were some of those questioning the amounts:
Leotard, Warm ups, and bag - $250 (Question: How many payments of $250? Answer: Just 1)
Meet Fees - $130 (Question: Is that per meet and does it include the coaches fees? Answer: That is for the whole season... except for Nationals... and it is 8 meets. We don't have coaches fees... or booster fees... or required fundraisers, other than home meets).
Team fees - $70 a month.
Zone fee - $10 (We pay this instead of paying USAG fees).

ETA - We also keep the same leos and warm ups as long as we can. There is the opportunity to buy used if you know someone who needs a bigger size.

Yes, very expensive! I budget very carefully to include tuition when needed - taking half out of one paycheck and getting the other half from the next one - something like that. Every time me and DH talks tuition getting higher with the levels, he just looks at me. I tell him every time that we knew what we were getting in to financially when we decided to put her in gymnastics, and that I'm not just going to throw away her dreams because of money, that would break her little heart. Not to say I dont worry about how stuff is going to get paid for, cuz I happen to be a worry wort. Just no one at home has to know lol. But no, OP, your not the only one....

And then you see the gymmies who get 5 leos at every single meet, not to mention sweatshirts etc, like their parents have all the money in the world, and your DD/DS sees it and wonders why they cant get all of that stuff....thats heartbreaking in itself for the parent! Last time I splurged for DD at a meet, I got her a pair of capezio slipper boots for $50.00. she likes them, so I have no complaints there. But sometimes the CGM in me wants to yell at those parents that parade their money around that some of us can only afford the minimum and to cool it down with other people around. You wanna get your kid 5 leos at $50.00 + at a pop? Go to a store and do it, not at a meet in front of other gymnasts! Or order online! sheesh. ok, im done.

One mom at my gym, she has one daughter that does equestrian comps, and her other daughter is a Lvl 5 at the gym.

Another mom has 1 DD that just went to college, 2nd DD in gym, and 3 boys all in wrestling.

I could not handle that!

No actually my "you" was a global you, many parents of young athletes (if you had read what I wrote, you would have noticed I said athletics, not gymnastic. I was speaking very broadly)

Many parent of young athletes think of it as a pathway to fund college. Most of the patents end up being wrong.

And my second post regarding paying for athletics was in response to another poster's question.

Gopuckgo you need to chillax, just because I quoted something in your post doesn't necessarily make it personal. This last part was personal, I used your name :D

Peace to you.

No you replied specifically to my post. If you don't want it to be taken that way, then you should not hit reply and then say

Peace to you.

If you weren't repomding to my post then you should not hit a "reply" to it . You should next time post broadly without replying specifically because when I read "it is not a joke" as a reply to my "we were joking" it sounded very snappy poodle to a very lighthearted comment in my response. You just have to be careful on here and other gymnastics boards posting sometimes because inflection can be taken wrong when it is not meant to be. Best of luck to you and your daughter!

Gopuckgo, not going to argue with you, sometimes someone posts something that applied in a broader sense and I quote it, many people on many boards do so. I have been a member of quite a few boards over the years. And I have seen many people over read and assume tone and judgement where none is intended. This is not my first time around this block. And this board is just not all that unique as boards go, it's actually rather typical as boards go.

If you wish to continue to take offense and over read I cannot stop you.

I how ever prefer not not derail a topic, so I will not be commenting further with you.
I said my piece.

I don't always attend every argument I am invited to.

To the rest of the readers and posters sorry to stray, and I return you to your originally scheduled thread.

One mom at my gym, she has one daughter that does equestrian comps, and her other daughter is a Lvl 5 at the gym.

Another mom has 1 DD that just went to college, 2nd DD in gym, and 3 boys all in wrestling.

I could not handle that!

I could not handle that!

This why I tell people I only have one, I just can't play zone defense, I'm man to man.

I admire folks who can deal with all those schedules and activities and keep sane.
Lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back