Parents Does anyone else have a child who does not like to do gymnastics outside of class/practice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pullover

Proud Parent
Recently we got together with some friends of ours who have a daughter who is at a similar level of gymnastics to my daughter. The other girl did not stop practicing her cartwheels, handstands, bridges, etc. After seeing this I asked another friend if her daughter practices at home and she said that she encourages her to practice on non-gym days. My daughter is on a preteam that meets 2x per week and always looks forward to her gymnastic classes but she rarely wants to practice at home. We have a chin-up bar and a mat and they literally go weeks and weeks without use. She will occasionally do a cartwheel -but that's about all. I'm not really concerned -just curious to know if this is common among kids who LOVE their gymnastics class or not.

Hi my son rarely practices at home. Now that he goes 15 hrs a week I suppose he feels he does enough!....which I suppose he does!

My older dd does not anymore. My younger dd will make up routines, but I don't know that I consider that practicing at home. And some days it is a lot and some weeks it is none.

Mine do less at home than they used to, but ugh the handstands everywhere! I'd guess that DS averages around 5 pirouettes a day. Though I am now realizing that likely benefited him at states, LOL.

Really be glad about it -- it gets very annoying after about the 700th time you've nearly gotten kicked in the face or had your heart stop because someone nearly took out some innocent piece of furniture or electronics.

When my dd stops going upside down at home is pretty much when I know she's somehow "off". But, she does go though phases of not wanting to do any gymnastics at home for a while, and I speculate that it is when she's feeling like she just needs a break from gym and that is how she gets it, since it is a year round sport. Most of the time though it is duck and cover and watch out for flying feet!

Mine do less at home than they used to, but ugh the handstands everywhere!

DD is 9, and that is the extent of her "practise". Handstands for as long as she can hold them. Stag legs, scissors, straight and tight - you name it, it happens.

Her other friends practise, make up routines, etc. But she doesn't. She is done with gym when she walks out the door, other than to text with her gym friends, mostly about Divergent, instagram and other pre-teen stuff :rolleyes:

we're still in the handstands everywhere, vaulting on the ottoman and such with our dd. I'm sure once she starts more sophisticated things, this will lessen. its still all so new right now.

I wouldn't say that mine practice regularly at home. They do cartwheels and handstands a lot; but never anything like a BHS. And I wouldn't allow vaulting on anything. The girls do have a beam that they pull out when they are working on something particular. Oh, and my son does mess around on his mushroom about once per week. Hmmm, I guess they do more at home than I realized. :eek:

*to clarify, vaulting on the ottoman is just doing a handstand and falling over on the ottoman…no running or anything. just silly play.

We don't have all the equipment like so many of her gymnast friends have, but I will tell you that I cannot take my 6 yo dd to Walmart or target without her doing cartwheels down the aisles!!! Swinging on cart corrals or anything else she comes up with! My tiny living room is taken over by her nightly... Even after 3 hours of practice she'll come home and do what she can there ;) wish I had an ounce of that energy!!

P&F never stops, unless she is porely, her BFF from gym never does anything (unless they are together), as Iwannacoach says, depends on the child.

My older DD doesn't, and never has. She'll very occasionally do a handstand as she gets up of the sofa, but that's it.

The only time she's ever done gymnastics at home is the month before her first in-house pre-team competition. She asked me to help so I went through her routine with her- not skills, but more tidying transitions, reducing foot shuffles and sorting arm position.

Younger DD is far more often to be found upside down or out in the garden practicing. But she doesn't really do much either. I remember as a child I never walked anywhere- cartwheels or rolls instead :)

My ODD does at times. More apt to do conditioning than cartwheels etc. Now my YDD on the other hand is always flipping,jumping,dancing etc. At home in the park at the store EVERYWHERE :)

My DD is constantly on her hands. When she first learned how to BHS it was hell getting her to not do them at home. But now she sticks to the longest handstands she can manage. Over and over and over and over again. We pretty much don't remember what a TV show looks like without her feet in front of it ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back