WAG Does anyone know what the requirements will be in the new level 6 next year?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

And then I would guess that giants would be a required element for "new 7"? I know some gyms require them already, but my DD is actually doing pretty well on bars right now with 2 free hips at level 7... Better than many competing giants. I suppose she'll get them eventually... I hope!

I thought w/o a giant in the current L7 you had a lower start value, like a 9.5 or a 9.2?

Yeah, I can see a lot of gyms scoring out of the current L6 so the girl can go right to the new L6 in the case of girls who are good on bars...in my area though, a current L5 who is good enough to get a 6 or 7 on the current L6 bars would be rarity...and you almost need that to score out cause they judge really hard on beam and floor in L6. I'd imagine most L5's would go to the new L5 and just have a much easier time on bars than the current L6's girls do...that's my opinion though, I could be wrong...;).

I thought w/o a giant in the current L7 you had a lower start value, like a 9.5 or a 9.2?

No, DD has a 10.0 sv, as long as both of her free hips are high enough. The reqirement is two circling skills. A low bar free hip and a high bar free hip with enough height meet the criteria. She had a 10.0 sv at yesterday's meet and came in 4th with an 8.85.

Yeah, I can see a lot of gyms scoring out of the current L6 so the girl can go right to the new L6 in the case of girls who are good on bars...in my area though, a current L5 who is good enough to get a 6 or 7 on the current L6 bars would be rarity...and you almost need that to score out cause they judge really hard on beam and floor in L6. I'd imagine most L5's would go to the new L5 and just have a much easier time on bars than the current L6's girls do...that's my opinion though, I could be wrong...;).
You don't need giants, just a circling element in their place- so an extra clear hip is what most teams do. It's out of the same start value, but some judges seem to be extra hard on the giant-less routines (very picky about clear hip angles and such).
Even without the more specific angle deductions, I imagine clear hips will still be where kids get hit the hardest on bars at new level 5. The judges will need some way to differentiate between good and great. Either that or the kids from teams who compete current level 6 with casts and clear hips almost to handstand will just score out of new 5.

Oh? I thought it meant "optional" as in "not compulsary" - like you can make up your own routines out of a specific set of skills? Or is it both? Maybe this is why I saw in another thread that it was possible to go from the current L6 to the new L7 by just obtaining a 31 in the current L6...I thought that was odd, but if you don't NEED to do new L6 that would explain why.

It is optional in both senses of the word from what I understand. Athletes will not be required to compete it and those athletes who do compete it will have their own unique routines.

It is optional in both senses of the word from what I understand. Athletes will not be required to compete it and those athletes who do compete it will have their own unique routines.

In our area we have seen a fair number of girls complete L6 and be not quite ready for L7 so they compete Xcel Platinum until they are ready. I think now we will see less of that with the new L6. I am glad that the girls that are strong (especially on bars) will be able to go straight to the new L7 from compulsories.

Is it optional just this year? Or did you get the impression that it will remain "optional in both senses of the word" in 2014 and beyond?

And what are the skill requirements? I just don't know what A and B means. Does anyone know exampls of those skills? Thanks!

And what are the skill requirements? I just don't know what A and B means. Does anyone know exampls of those skills? Thanks!

There are lots but examples of b's seen in 6/7 would be 1.5 turn, giants, free hips with height (cant remember if its horizontal or 3/4), switch leap floor, split jump 180* on beam, bhs on beam

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back