Anon Does it look bad to college coaches?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (8357)

My daughter is looking at changing gyms due to several issues within her gym / program. She is a high level gymnast and getting ready for the recruiting season. Do you think college coaches think bad of a gymnast moving gyms at this point in their career? Should she wait until after being recruited to make a change?

I think in general, no it doesnt matter. If a college wants you, they want you. But I do think on the margins and for specific cases, it does matter. Not that it looks bad, but depending upon the situation, club coaches can help. I can only speak to our gym, which may be an anomaly. The head coach is a 20 year veteran who has trained elites and L10 to colleges. Some of her past gymnasts are current head coaches. Needless to say, she has quite a rolodex. There have been a few 10s that were injured or for whatever reason didn't get quite the attention during their recruitment year. She facilitated landing spots for them or at least additional opportunities to be evaluated as seniors. I don't know the context or gym situation you are in, but from the paradigm of "what does the gym coach contribute for recruitment", it might matter.

I think in general, no it doesnt matter. If a college wants you, they want you. But I do think on the margins and for specific cases, it does matter. Not that it looks bad, but depending upon the situation, club coaches can help. I can only speak to our gym, which may be an anomaly. The head coach is a 20 year veteran who has trained elites and L10 to colleges. Some of her past gymnasts are current head coaches. Needless to say, she has quite a rolodex. There have been a few 10s that were injured or for whatever reason didn't get quite the attention during their recruitment year. She facilitated landing spots for them or at least additional opportunities to be evaluated as seniors. I don't know the context or gym situation you are in, but from the paradigm of "what does the gym coach contribute for recruitment", it might matter.

This is a whole different story... coach can matter greatly... but that was not the question.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back