WAG Early Recruiting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes, most walk-on spots are offered during the gymnast's senior year of highschool... But with this crazy early recruiting, sometimes they are offered junior year!

So walk on spots can be offered before enrolling in the college? I am not concerned about my dd getting into college on her own academic merit (not considering Ivy League but she has a few colleges on her list that have teams- also not top 20 gymnastic teams), just trying to figure out if it is possible to be offered a walk on spot, or if you have to wait until you are at the college and then try out.

From our experience, walk-on spots are typically offered in the Feb-Mar-Apr timeframe so that decisions can be made before the May 1st national decision day deadline. Obviously, contact with the prospective college(s) has to happen well before that AND the athlete has to get admitted to the school first.

Unfortunately, we did not even look at colleges until the summer before my son's senior year. So all the scholarships were gone (not that he had a shot at it anyway). But my son did a Restrictive Early Action. A decision by the college is made by mid December. He was offered the walk on that summer he went for an official visit. So it was prior to him even actually applying,

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back