WAG Elizabeth Price Retires from National Team to Attend Stanford

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm very happy for her but I don't understand why she has to retire from Elite gymnastics. Sam Mikulak competed for US and Michigan at the same time. Why can't girls do both? Is there a rule or just not feasible?

I'm very happy for her but I don't understand why she has to retire from Elite gymnastics. Sam Mikulak competed for US and Michigan at the same time. Why can't girls do both? Is there a rule or just not feasible?

They could but most don't. I can't remember what US gymnast besides Zamarippa has done elite and NCAA at the same time on the women's side. It's more common for gymnasts from other countries to do it. US gymnasts tend to either put off NCAA to continue elite or resume elite after they've finished competing elite in college. Alicia Sacramone also did something uncommon. She put elite on hold to compete in college and then stopped competing in college to devote herself to elite again.

They have a restriction on the hours they can train, so they would have to take a leave of absence from school to train elite. Girls have tried to go from NCAA to Elite, and some have actually managed it. But it is not optimal.

They have a restriction on the hours they can train, so they would have to take a leave of absence from school to train elite. Girls have tried to go from NCAA to Elite, and some have actually managed it. But it is not optimal.

I think that restriction is for the amount of time that the team can require the gymnasts to train. The gymnasts can train extra if they want. Some teams have voluntary practice time in addition to the required hours.

The "voluntary practice" can vary on its expectations depending on the program. I'm sure most of the time for most sports "voluntary" does not mean "come if you feel like it".

I can attest it most definitely does not translate that way, at least not for the sports I was involved in. It is a tricky concept....a bit of a slippery slope if you will, but it is not really optional. If an athlete treats it as such, there will be ramifications of that over time....

The "voluntary practice" can vary on its expectations depending on the program. I'm sure most of the time for most sports "voluntary" does not mean "come if you feel like it".

Even at the D3 level voluntary meant you better come and if you don't I will send the captains out after you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back