Excited by her accompishments but trying to better understand judging

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

[video=youtube_share;_4MMA6U8IHU]http://youtu.be/_4MMA6U8IHU[/video]

My dd is a first year level 4 7 years old. As a new parent to the sport, I am more then very pleased with her coach and gym. She seems to continually make large progressions in all her events but floor. Through 6 meets this year, she stays between a 8.9 to 9.225 in floor. Can you guys please explain some deductions you may see in this routine so I can better understand. DONT want to coach my kid! Just understand what I am seeing

My best advice would be not to try to figure out the judging. lol. There are so many reasons that it may vary, that it's totally not even worth trying to figure out. ;)

If you're just wondering what typical reasons for deductions are, things like wobbles, bent knees, feet apart when they shouldn't be, lack of extention/toe point, etc. are all reason for deduction.

But a 9.225 is a great score. And to be blunt, her skills look good and I wouldn't worry about trying to get a perfect score in L4 floor. In the grand scheme of her gymnastics career (assuming she sticks with the sport well into optionals), her L4 scores won't mean much. :)

And, Welcome to the Chalk Bucket!

Ditto what Amanda Lynn said. My DD started off in the low 9's on beam this year. Over the course of the season, her bar scores came up from the 7's to the high 8's, her floor scores came up from the 7's to the high 8's/low 9's, her vault scores came up from the 8's to the low 9's. And her beam scores... pretty much stayed in the low 9's (until States when she had a couple very generous beam judges). I think it just must be easier to bring your scores up from "OK" to "Good" than from "Good" to "Great." At that point, it's just a number of very small deductions. Your daughter is doing very well, so congrats to her!

don't waste another healthy brain cell attempting to figure out what the judges are doing...:)

another reason why this sport gets nuttier by the week...:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back