Coaches Expectations to high?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sara

Coach
I am thinking I am behind in the times. We have our first optional meet of season this Friday and two of gymnasts showed up with bright pink hair at practice! What happen to clean, classy, and a "put" together look? Am I asking too much to have the girls show up with a nice bun and no crazy hair?

For practice or the meet? Most of the colorful hair dyes are temporary and may wash out. There are semi permanent ones that are also getting popular, but I wouldn't really panic over it on Monday if the meet isn't until the weekend. If you don't have a policy on hair already, then learn from this and move forward in the future. Personally I don't really see the big deal one way or another but I've never had a kid show up at a meet with neon hair either. We have a specific hairstyle criteria though.

Yes pulled up into a bun. Thank you guys. I know it's definitely not a battle I will get into. Just personal preference.

If there is no hair policy then it would not be right for you to ban it for this meet. I think it's reasonable if you are going to implement a new rule to give at least six weeks notice if not longer. In teens I think bright hair is mostly fun and harmless. There are so many other things to worry about.

That would never be allowed in any schools in our area. All schools weather public or private have uniforms, so the kids would have it for gym because they wouldn't be allowed to have it for school.

I had girls ask about hair color yesterday as I have one who consistently dyes her hair green- dark at the ends and fades as you move up the head. It stays in FOREVER and when it starts to fade she gets it redone (she is 11). I have another little one with a hint of pink at the bottom of her ponytail, but it's already fading and I'm sure will be gone by our first meet, or at least faded enough to hide in a bun.
It's really not my preference, but it's also not where I want to spend my energy. So I just tell them as long as it's not obnoxiously wild it's fine. Pulling it into a bun or braid will cover up at least some of it. My warning to them was that while I was okay with it, I made no guarantees that HC would be. But we don't have a hair policy in place, so really no ground to stand on.

Thank you! I definitely didn't start argument or anything. It was more about wishing for that 1992 classy gymnastics look:)

Reactions: sce
Ugh.... I feel your pain.... I would say something, like "april fools isn't for a few more months, so please get ready for the meet, thanks". :)

If there is no hair policy then it would not be right for you to ban it for this meet. I think it's reasonable if you are going to implement a new rule to give at least six weeks notice if not longer. In teens I think bright hair is mostly fun and harmless. There are so many other things to worry about.

you got that right. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back