Fear! Help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

MTGirl

Hello, I am new on this forum, I'm 21 and about to take an adult gymnastics class. I used to be a cheerleader, now I am a dancer. I really want to go back to tumbling but I have always been afraid of going backwards. During my cheerleading years I learned to do a back handspring, but I only did it a few times (I undercut very badly) and soon psyched myself so much that I developed a crippling fear and couldn't do it anymore. I really want to re-learn a back handspring and hopefully go on to do more tumbling, but even now, when I picture going backwards, I get very scared. Did anyone have this problem? Help!

The more you do it the less fear you'll have. And DO NOT THINK ABOUT IT OUTSIDE THE GYM. The fear set in when you think about all the things that can go wrong. But the reality is you probably wont get hurt. Even the kids that threw horrific scarry looking handsprings never got hurt. Come to think of it I do gymnastics and also coach and I can tell ya I don't remember a single kid getting hurt doing a back handspring. It's just your crazy mind getting in the way. For the under cutting, have a coach set you up with a few drills that can help cure it. Gets lots of spots and maybe use the spotting belt and tramp if the gym has one. You'll get it :)

It's natural to have a fear of going backwards as the body is not used to it, the more you do, the more comfortable you will get and the less fear you will feel.

To start off with just going backwards a lot can help, do back drops on the trampoline, do backwards rolls on the floor and work towards back walkovers (depending on your level of flexibility). All this will help the feeling of going backwards to become more comfortable.

The good news is that now you are an adult you will probably get a far better back handspring than when you were a kid. Kids generally just throw the skill and some just have a natural feel for it while others don't. As an adult you will be able to understand the mechanics of the skill, your coach will be able to better describe what your body needs to do to make it work and you will be able to better understand it.

Know that relearning your back handspring will be a slow process and it will take time, but skilled learned slowly are better as you are less likely to lose them again so quickly. Try to avoid getting frustrated and just enjoy the process of learning the skill, congratulate yourself as you master each drill and step.

I find it so funny that everyone is talking about it being natural to have a fear of going backwards. Going backwards for me seems so natural but I despise going forward. I have my punch front fine but I will not do it without a spot. I am so afraid of the landing. I try and imagine myself doing it correctly but all I seem to be able to imagine is halfway going for it and landing on my butt unless I get to do it onto some kind of matt. I will even land it on a thick matt on the floor but take it away and I just can't seem to mentally make myself do it. Its the same with fronthandsprings. I completely mess up my form when I know I have to do it myself because I am afraid of the blind landing I guess. I don't know how to get past my fear of front tumbling. If anyone has suggestions I'm open for them. My coaches seem stumped because they can't understand my fear. I'm less afraid to land on my butt then my feet and this just messes everything up and makes no sense. Help!

You could try going backwards into the foam pit to begin with. I've been trying a few back tuck somersaults into the pit and I found it isn't that scary because I know I'll land in a pile of soft foam.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back