Fear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi I have a friend that is too afraid to do either a backhandspring or roundoff. The coaches are angry and acually told us(her teamates) we had to ignore her the rest of practice. Also she had to try beam for four hours. None of this helped her. Does anyone know what would?

I agree with Tumblequeen that this does not sound like the right environment for your dd. Gymnastics fears can be often be overcome. Sometimes its a matter of getting a supportive coach or maybe dd will respond to psychological help (Google Allison Aronold). Good Luck!

Go somewhere far away. That kind behavior is mean and generally not okay.

Skills should be learned by doing them willingly and enjoying the growing process up to doing it yourself, not by a coach who really thinks that the silent treatment it okay.

SHE DID IT!!!! She has her round off and just got a 35 all around at the last meet. She got a 8.325 on beam because she fell on the dismount

I hope your friend is proud that her hard work paid off:D! I'm so happy to hear she over came her fear issue in spite of the poor actions of her coaches. She did it on her own & she has much to be proud of!!!! Unfortunately, her coaches now probably think their "training techniques" worked:mad:. When in fact those tactics are more damaging than helpful in the long run:(. When will some coaches learn that their "techniques" of teaching/coaching need to fit the needs of the individual gymnast? Yelling, ignoring, demeaning should not be coaching "stategies" IMHO. Congratulations to your friend! Way to go!!!!:cool:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back