Parents Feeling defeated

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
So DD (13) really wants to switch to JO next year and petition into optionals. She got this idea from her old coach who had full faith and confidence in her, and saw tons of potential. Right now she is xcel gold, and started gym last year (she did xcel bronze). Her new xcel coach believes it totally possible for her also.

Tonight, however, I had occasion to speak with the JO program coordinator for our gym over a non-gym subject, and we ended up talking about DD. Long story short, she said at this gym, and probably in this whole area, DD would NEVER make it onto a JO team- that no one would even let her try out. She is too old, she said, period. Apparently they are not interested in outliers at all, and would never allow an age gap in practice groups. She said my DD is plenty strong and most of her flexibility is there (she has knees that do not go straight and need to work on over stretching in pike). She is the most motivated kid in the world..

My heart broke a little that even if she works hard and gets her level 6/7 skills by next year- working only two days a week at that- she will still likely have her heart broken.

My only hope is that when we move in a year or two our new duty station is somewhere that is a little more open minded about this. I know she is never going to be top of the levels and so does DD, but she really hoped to get to level 8 or 9 by graduation. I am just deflated a little tonight and wanted I get it out.

I am very sorry. That is really unfair that she wont even have the opportunity to try. In my opinion it should not be an age thing but a skill thing. She has come so far in so short of a time.

If she keeps training and gets her L7 skills, she can continue training (uptraining as possible) and when you transfer again, she should be about 16-17. Maybe you will find a gym that will let her petition into L7 and then score into L8. Don't give up hope. Your DD has come so far so fast. She can do anything she sets her mind to!

Long story short, she said at this gym, and probably in this whole area, DD would NEVER make it onto a JO team- that no one would even let her try out. She is too old, she said, period. Apparently they are not interested in outliers at all, and would never allow an age gap in practice groups.
That may be true at the gym you are at, but definitely not all gyms in the area. There are definitely high school age level 6s (and even below) in the area. I would do some looking around.

Long story short, she said at this gym, and probably in this whole area, DD would NEVER make it onto a JO team- that no one would even let her try out. She is too old, she said, period. Apparently they are not interested in outliers at all, and would never allow an age gap in practice groups.
That may be true at the gym you are at, but definitely not all gyms in the area. There are definitely high school age level 6s (and even below) in the area. I would do some looking around.

I checked the results from our last state championship. L6, 7, 8 all had '15 years and up' category. 16 gymnasts in this category at L6, some of them from big gyms that also had one or two L10 at this meet.
I know about two gyms in our area that would consider 10 year old gymnast 'too old' for L4. I understand it is their philosophy and I don't have problem with it, and there are many others gyms around that wouldn't have this 'age issue'.
I would believe most areas are like ours - occasionally one or two gyms focusing on young athletes only, but many others that would welcome 'late starters'. You are probably in too competitive area right now, but one/two years will go fast, so hang in there. Good luck.

I am not saying she really has the "it" factor, or even extraordinary talent. Just extraordinary drive, focus, and self possession. She is a hard worker, and will push herself as far as a coach (or teacher, or parent, it is a personality trait) will let her. I like to think that hard work is the biggest piece of every puzzle, that's all.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Are there any other gyms you could try? I think it's bogus that gyms put an age limit on their JO programs. My DD is "old" for her level too, and if someone had told me that at 9 she was too old for old L4, I would have left that gym. That said, I completely understand if you can't switch gyms - I'm in the same spot - I live in a small town and DD's gym is the only one less than an hour away.

We just moved here two months ago and already had one gym switch (safety issue), so it seems imprudent to switch again. Since we may only be here a year, and almost definitely not more than two, I hate to run through multiple gyms. I know this is the third that said too old for JO around here (when we scoped gyms before moving) so when the lady said it, I took it at face value. I know that there are about 3 more commutable for us, and I could try all of them, but it seems to make more sense to let her ride it out with a coach who is confident that she can get her optionals ready. It's not so much about the here and now that bothered me, it was the hard no way to the future. Futures are supposed to be about possibilites.

That's very sad :(
I have a 13 year old competing L7 and yep, she's old. No big deal!! She has plenty of other "senior citizens" to compete with!
I hope when you move that you can find a gym who will let her try. It's just silly.

That's not right, I have a 14 yr old competing level 4 ( she did level 5 beer the change over ) due to injuries she has been held back. 12 yr old dd will probably competing level 6 come jan

We have plenty of girls that age competing that level. We do every year and there are a ton of them in our state. Maybe you could find a different gym with a slightly more open philosophy on this. Good Luck!

I know the state of MD just introduced EXCEL last yr so JO is the main program there. EXCEL is an option for those wanting less practice time & costs. Maybe you could move there! :)

That is sad to hear as I had a 14 yo compete L7 last season and she would have competed L8 as a 15 yo this year but life a social life and high school got in the way and she left the sport this past summer. Honestly, I think a lot of gyms know that most kids are not going to still be competing well into their teens so I think that may be why some gyms don't want to invest too much time in the older crowd.

That is frustrating and sad. But knowing that you will be moving should give you something to look forward to. Have her work as hard as she can (I am sure she is) and when you move make it your goal to find a place that will put her in USAG at the level she belongs.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back