Parents Feeling defeated

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does her coach never talk to the JO coach about these things?? I know some gyms are like that, but I find it hard to believe they ALL are. Sounds like he's just saying that to convince you not to go elsewhere! If that's her goal, then look around. If she loves gymnastics and her gym, then she might have to give up that goal (and find others!). Does she want to be an okay JO girl or would it be more fun to be a fabulous XCel girl (is that what she's in? I forget!)

She wants to take it as high as she can go. Most places here do the minimum for each xcel level (not her current gym) so I don't know if that's a trend elsewhere or not, but wouldn't get her to really higher level skills. Also, it's just an hours thing. There is no way to advance (or try to) on six hours a week. Our golds and platinums do six hours. Like I told the lady last night- that's not even enough to cover both routines and conditioning let alone up training. The only way to get the hours she desires is to be JO (or usaigc in some places). She trained up to 32 hrs a week over the summer at her old gym and just absolutely adored it.

How about when you next move, A YMCA with a JO Program? they might be a little more accepting of an older gymnast doing entry level JO...

Although I guess I am still learning, but to me level 6/7 isn't really entry level to me. Still figuring this all out.

Although I guess I am still learning, but to me level 6/7 isn't really entry level to me. Still figuring this all out.

I don't think that's entry level either but that's kind of how they're treating her...could your coach from your old gym (where she was training 32 hours) call one of the gyms in your new locale and see if they'd take her on as a JO kid...maybe coach to coach you might have more luck...

Are you in SoCal as stated in your profile? This is SoCal State Championship from last season
http://www.mymeetscores.com/meet.pl?meetid=49710
L7 had 159 gymnasts age 12 and up at this meet (sessions 2 and 3). Look up the gyms, maybe you find some that is in your area.
But, if I was in your shoes, I would just stay where I am now. It sounds like (from one of your previous threads) that your daughter's coach cares about her a lot. Maybe ask him/her if he/she can recommend some kind of 'home plan' - conditioning, safe stuff like press handstands, handstands into pirouette etc... to be done at home to increase her hours. And, if you can afford it, maybe private lessons on regular basis. So in one or two years, when you move, your daughter will have her L7/8 skills and will be ready to score out/compete these levels.

We are not in SoCal anymore, but in the east bay of San Francisco. I need to change that. I have only plans to stick where she is for now. The lady last night actually said she shouldn't condition at home because she is strong enough- makes no sense to me btw. Her coach and the rest of the program are entirely separate also, no communications past the JO coaches telling her she can't use their equipment.

OK so here are completed meets from CA, so maybe you can find something from your area, and maybe some 'friendly' local gym
http://www.mymeetscores.com/gym.pl?list=2

Our L4 team goes 16 hours per week, and half of this time (probably more) is spent on conditioning and drills. Other gym in our area has 9 hours for their L4, and they actually expect their girls to do conditioning at home/give them conditioning sheets.
Sorry to hear that your gym is not-so-friendly toward XCel.

I just don't get the thought process of some gyms/coaches. sorry... This would be one of the rare instances where weekly privates might be beneficial, since she is not able to increase group hours, even when she goes up the levels. It sounds like she has a great coach who wants to get her to her goals. A one hour private a week would go a long way in helping her gain the new skills she will need for L7/8 when you move.

We requested privates. To work flyaways and vault mostly, and the coach said she thought it was a good idea, but she couldn't get authorization to use the equipment for privates. They don't feel xcel need privates, for the most part, and certainly not regular ones. My DD is on the floor at YDDs t&t gym (open gym) practicing her floor choreography and tumbling passes (tumble track) right now- she gets time in where she can.

I just don't understand the philosophy of someone being too old. Drives me crazy. I hope that in a year or two you end up at a place with more options. There are plenty of places around the country that don't have that ridiculous limit.

I too hope you find a more open environment "next time". DD was always on the young side, and her old gym, although open to older girls competing (had a 15 year old L4 last year), moved them through as young as possible - even if that meant no time for up training. She is now at a gym coached by a very experienced HC (absolute top of the international top, if ya known what I mean) and she and most of her previous team are all staying back a level to up train with girls 2-5 years older then they are - because new coach believes in 2 things - gym is for whoever loves it and should be tailored to each athlete - no matter how old - better to be a 17 year old L6 than to quit at 12 because you "weren't the bees knees"...., and that the kids should be competing at the level they have absolutely mastered so that they can be training for higher levels year round.

Sure, there were many very talented kids in DD 10 and under L7 group - but she's not the only one who will be a teen before she hits upper optionals (if she doesn't quit over trying to figure out all the things she thought she was good at that she actually needs to work on).

There are good programs out there that are in it for the kids (both the pre-elite ones and the older/late starters....) Gyms that aren't should be ashamed to take parents money - its a kids sport, after all - and other than the tiny percentage that will do it in college or elite levels (many of whom will not do it after that, by the way), most kids are doing gym for fun, to push themselves to get as far as they can, to learn to overcome difficulties, etc....Your DD is definitely not too old - and from one mom to another, although I know you have gone through many changes, I will add that if you don't feel she'll get what she wants/needs at this gym, and she really loves gym, I would not rule out another move - had DD moved earlier, she would be happily training away right now, working L8 and L9 while competing L7 with girls age 10-17!

Talent and the "it" factor are ageless.........

In some cases stupidity is limitless........

I am not saying she really has the "it" factor, or even extraordinary talent. Just extraordinary drive, focus, and self possession. She is a hard worker, and will push herself as far as a coach (or teacher, or parent, it is a personality trait) will let her. I like to think that hard work is the biggest piece of every puzzle, that's all.

If that's not a ample serving of "it" I have no idea what "it" really is. It seems to me your dear daughter has far more "it" than many kids who are past their emotional prime but continue to take up space on JO teams.

If you and dh have any influence on the next station you should make up a list of them and send it to dunno. He may know a coach, in one of those locations, that really gets what it's all about.

If that's not a ample serving of "it" I have no idea what "it" really is. It seems to me your dear daughter has far more "it" than many kids who are past their emotional prime but continue to take up space on JO teams.

If you and dh have any influence on the next station you should make up a list of them and send it to dunno. He may know a coach, in one of those locations, that really gets what it's all about.
@iwannacoach You stole my idea!!! I was going to tell her the same thing. Her daughter has the drive and determination to do whatever she sets her mind to. When they transfer next, she will be age eligible to petition into JO L6/7 and... if she uptrained, she could be ready for L7 easily.

@iwannacoach You stole my idea!!! I was going to tell her the same thing. Her daughter has the drive and determination to do whatever she sets her mind to. When they transfer next, she will be age eligible to petition into JO L6/7 and... if she uptrained, she could be ready for L7 easily.

This is what I'm having a hard time with...this child is going to have to wait until her family's next relocation to be put into a JO program ( that she would prefer from what I'm reading in the op's posts) but is biding her time in an Xcel program because the gym she is at won't let her even attempt it....I understand that the OP doesn't want to move gyms before her next family move but this whole year ( or is it years?) of this seems like a waste of the child's time...and I think you risk her leaving the sport (which is fine if that's what she wants) because she feels her efforts are all for naught...I personally would PM Dunno and scope out something in your area that would be amenable to getting her on the track she desires versus wallowing away for this whole year at something she's not thrilled with...I know another move would be tough but for me it would be tougher to watch this whole scenario play out this year....

She likes Xcel... She hasn't been in gymnastics for very long. Competed Xcel Bronze just last year. Is competing Gold this season... but at many gyms, she would be Platinum (after 1 meet at Gold using her Platinum routines). She still needs to uptrain before she will be completely ready for L6/L7... and she really doesn't seem to want to do Compulsories. If her current coach can work with her to get the skills she needs, then this is NOT a waste of time... and she has to be 14 and in HS before she can petition into L6/7 anyways (which is the route she wants to take).

She likes Xcel... She hasn't been in gymnastics for very long. Competed Xcel Bronze just last year. Is competing Gold this season... but at many gyms, she would be Platinum (after 1 meet at Gold using her Platinum routines). She still needs to uptrain before she will be completely ready for L6/L7... and she really doesn't seem to want to do Compulsories. If her current coach can work with her to get the skills she needs, then this is NOT a waste of time... and she has to be 14 and in HS before she can petition into L6/7 anyways (which is the route she wants to take).

Yup, pretty much. She likes xcel, but she just likes gymnastics. She would be happy in most any program that was letting her do her thing. Ha. I had a talk with her last night and we agreed that if next summer comes along and we haven't moved and she hasn't up trained either, she will give another gym switch a shot. She is willing to do level 4/5 to get the hours she needs to train properly. She didn't want to do compulsories because she was told she wasn't built for them, but she will do what she has to. She feels that platinum and diamond xcel isn't really productive or safe at 6-9 hrs a week. She wants to progress to bigger skills, but wants the time in the gym and the fundamental training to build to them safely. So, in the end, we will ride out this season, see how much she can maybe grow with her limited hours, and one way or another try and make the JO jump next summer. Thanks everyone for the support!

If you want to do it, you have to do it ASAP. I'd at least look for another Xcel program that offers more hours, personally.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back