Parents First Injury!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

headoverheels

Proud Parent
And I'm sure it won't be the last. Little Bit started complaining Monday that the top of her foot hurt although she couldn't really pinpoint when the pain started. So it was off to the pediatrician yesterday and off to the orthopedist today with the end result that she is in a walking cast for three weeks. The culprit is a possible stress fracture at the joint where her big toe joins her foot. I think the Dr. was being extra cautious but I'm glad. They gave us the option of a boot if (and that's a big if) she would wear it for three weeks. She and I both know she wouldn't so we did the cast instead. At least I know it's immobilized. Her first comp is the first weekend in December so it's cutting things close but I'd rather be sure she's fully healed and healthy before turning her loose on the tumbling passes.

CoachP- I really think that unless you saw the x-Ray and are also a qualified orthopod, it is a bit difficult to comment on the appropriateness of the doctor's treatment plan. After all, would you think it was ok for a doctor to comment on the appropriateness of your training methods without seeing the gymnasts performance let alone having coaching qualifications?

Last edited:
Oh no!!!! We had our first injury two weeks ago (broken toe) and should be good for Dec 6 weekend...hope she is too! Good luck!

I would avoid the cast if possible. Total immobilization means more PT. A boot is a perfectly good option. It is easier to get around in, can be taken off for bathing, and allows for more conditioning than a cast (during healing).

If the team has not designated a qualified, gymnastics-knowledgeable team physician, the parent is not at fault. One of the first things my team members receive when they make it to team is a list of the doctors and PTs who are gymnastics-friendly.

CoachP- possible means they either do see something but aren't completely sure it is a fracture, or that clinically they suspect there could be a fracture but may not be able to see one on the x-ray. Fractures in some areas are extremely difficult to see. Not treating a fracture if there is one can lead to further damage, which really would have a long recovery time. So treating a 'possible' fracture is not unreasonable.

The issue of cast versus boot affecting recovery time is a different issue and perhaps is a question the OP could raise with her medical team.

OP- I hope your daughter makes a full and speedy recovery.

CoachP- possible means they either do see something but aren't completely sure it is a fracture, or that clinically they suspect there could be a fracture but may not be able to see one on the x-ray. Fractures in some areas are extremely difficult to see. Not treating a fracture if there is one can lead to further damage, which really would have a long recovery time. So treating a 'possible' fracture is not unreasonable.

The issue of cast versus boot affecting recovery time is a different issue and perhaps is a question the OP could raise with her medical team.

OP- I hope your daughter makes a full and speedy recovery.
=
It's a toe.............. Tape it to the one next to it or call a tow truck...... :D

OP sorry this is getting off track. CoachP from the OPs post this may involve the articulation between the first metatarsal and the big toe. The ability to run efficiently and to point your toes being important aspects of being a gymnast, you absolutely need any big toe joint injury, even a potential one, to be taken seriously.

Dd broke the navicular bone in her mid foot which apparently is an almost impossible thing to do short of being run over by the above mentioned tow truck.

She was in a cast for 4 weeks and if I'm honest she did really struggle with cast immobilisation pain - more than the break pain.

That said she got through it and she is now good as gold - well her foot is, her legs are another story!

I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

Sorry about your DD's injury! I tend to agree with the no casting thought process but I wanted to add something else about injuries which others have indicated. Since most gymnasts continue to practice even while they are injured, compensating for the current injury often produces another injury/problem. Be particularly sensitive to other problems that arise and ice any areas that seem to be giving a problem. Often times if a kid injuries their foot their knee or hip on the same or opposite leg will begin to give them problems. Or because they are spending more time on bars their wrist, elbow or shoulder might start hurting. Unfortunately pain seems to go along with this sport but early and often treatment can alleviate many problems. If it was up to me each kid at level 9 and above would be required to take a 15 minute ice soak after each practice. I'd love for our gym to have a tub and a big ice maker and just let the girls soak and talk. Of course the logistics would be hard since our gym has 25 -30 level 9 and above gymnasts....that would be a big tub and a lot of ice.

In my experience, it's often the seemingly innocuous injuries that cause the real damage, as gymnasts will train through them. Having injured a big toe myself, I'm not sure I'd class it as innocuous as such. I still have problems, years later.

And I have someone in my family whose chosen career in the police was thwarted by an old foot injury, though that was not gymnastics related.

At this point, if I had it to do over again I'd probably get her the boot instead of the cast. In the seeming urgency of the moment I went with the option that required less oversight from me. ;-) She's doing fine walking in the cast plus cast shoe, although I'm wondering if the cast is too loose. She's able to move her ankle as well as her foot and toes, which are the parts that are supposed to be immobilized, I thought. The cast covers her toes completely, kind of like an elf shoe. She's due to go back the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. I know my husband would have preferred the boot but of course he wasn't with me at the time and I didn't think to consult with him. I don't suppose I could call the ortho and ask them to switch her to the boot, could I?

Probably, but your insurance will likely deny coverage of the boot since they already paid for the cast. If you are considering that, why not get a second opinion and see if the boot is even necessary? Since the diagnosis was not clear, a more conservative approach may have been to have her wear a good tennis shoe during practice and lay off the hard tumbling/vault for a week or two. Just know that after 3 weeks in either she will have muscle issues for several weeks when she comes out so don't push that December meet. You don't want her rupturing a tight Achilles in order to not miss the first meet.

Sounds like the cast may have slipped if she can move around in it, it happens pretty often when kids walk on them. I have a ds with clubfoot so we know leg casts well he kicked one completely off as a baby lol. You may want to see if it has if so they would likely redo it.

Ask around team if anyone has a boot, I'm betting someone does. Problem solved. That way she can keep working her ankle mobility at night not to mention get a better nights sleep.

We were able to get back into the doctor's office yesterday afternoon and swap the cast for a boot. She is much more comfortable! We did have to pay a portion of it because of insurance but it was worth it. And now we know if we're given the choice between a cast and a boot/brace, to always go with the boot/brace. She's due to go back in for more x-rays right before Thanksgiving, and hopefully we'll find everything as it should be. Her first meet is supposed to be the first weekend in December, so fingers crossed that she's healed up in time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back