Parents First "Real" meet tomorrow

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gwenmom

Proud Parent
Good morning everyone. DD's first "real" meet is tomorrow. She has done a couple of practice meets at her home gym to give her idea, but tomorrow is the first one with the competition leo, going with her team, warms ups and scores.

Any suggestions on how to get her started off right tomorrow morning? Warm-ups start at noon and we have a little over an hour drive to get to the meet. I want to make sure she isn't crashing energy during the meet. She is excited and nervous and slightly worried she will forget her bar routine.

She has gotten all the routines down in the last week and finally got her vault without doing this funny leg, straddle thing.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Heather

I'm thinking she's on the younger side/level 3 or 4 if this is her first meet?

Assuming that's the case, focus on FUN! You say they start warmups at noon. I would plan on getting to the meet venue at 11:40. Gives you time to park, take her to the bathroom, etc!

Everyone has opinions on food and not crashing during the meet. You need to go with what works for your daughter. If we had a noon start, I'd have my daughter eat a meal around 10. She would also have a snack in the car :)

As for forgetting the bars routine, assuming she is at the compulsory level, she'll be watching girls on bars before her! Also, the coach is right there and worse case they will tell her, taking the deduction. She'll practice bars just before competing so it should be in her mind!

Mostly, have fun! Do her hair early....don't wait on that till the last minute! Don't eat anything that can spill on her leo!

Have a plan for after the meet no matter what.....dinner out? Pick a treat at the venue?

Just enjoy!

Thanks for the hair suggestion. I know it will be an issue, since she has my fine hair and keeping it out of her face is always a struggle.

You are correct she is 7 and competing Level 3 training 4. Just got her back hand spring unspotted last week so she is very excited and it was a huge confidence boost for her.

I was planning on getting there around 11:40. I've told her over and over all I care about is that she has fun and tries her best and as long as she does that then I will be proud of her no matter what and she should be too.

We will probably do something fun like lunch/dinner or ice cream after. I don't know the area so I need to google it and figure out our options today.

My wishes for a first meet is to have none of the three T's - no tinkle, tears, or throw-up.

If she can do that, I consider it a successful meet! :)

Good luck and I hope you both have a great day! BTW itis my DD's first meet tomorrow too.

Thanks Everyone. It went very well. She got good scores and best of all she had a fabulous time.

Afterwards she told us 'they were all watching me and it was cool'. Little show off lol.

She did well got sparkles in her hair and had candy. What more can a 7 year old ask for?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back