Parents Flyaways

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
DD came home to tell me that finally got to land her flyaways without a spot today in practice. She's been so frustrated because she's felt "ready" to do them by herself but her coach is very cautious and only steps away when she is very confident they are solid on them.

DD said she got to land three of them. She was bursting with happiness when she arrived home. I know it's not a HUGE skill but it's big to my little one.

I moved it. Easy mistake to make. Congratulations to your DD! Flyaways give lots of kids trouble, its a big thing to let go of the bar and flip.

Oh, goodness, a flyaway is certainly a big deal, and a skill that gives a lot of kids a lot of trouble! Some version of it (swing, release, flip) will be in every bars routine your DD does from here on out, even if she goes to the Olympics!

Congrats! My DD is the opposite when it comes to flyaways...she likes the coach to stand in-between the bars at practice even though she's been doing them well for almost a year now! Coach rarely even has a need to touch her at all, but she likes the security of having the coach there "just in case"...

Last edited:
I think flyaways are a big skill! And also one that gets frequently "lost" early on. Or even not so early on. DD got hers very early in the summer before she started level 6... then lost it just 10 days before the first meet in the fall! Luckily she "found" it again just in time! Hopefully your DD won't lose hers, but if she does, please assure her that that's normal and that it will be back!

Perhaps she will. I won't tell her that though. I thought she would lose her kip since everyone had warned me how common it is to get it and lose it several times. I also warned her it would take her months to finally get the dang thing. But the kid learned it in a month and never lost it. Hmmmm....maybe I should tell her that she is going to lose it. She's about stubborn enough not to lose it just out of spite! LOL

Congrats! My DD is the opposite when it comes to flyaways...she likes the coach to stand in-between the bars at practice even though she's been doing them well for almost a year now! Coach rarely even has a need to touch her at all, but she likes the security of having the coach there "just in case"...

Aren't these gymnasts funny little creatures!

Congrats. The flyaway IS a big deal.

As for the coach standing there, mine still stands there for every kid he coaches.... Better to be safe than hurt. I agree (meaning it works for my peace of mind, and hers)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back