WAG Foam Rollers?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sleeplessinnewyork

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Hello! I have an honestly quite random question, but I actually am curious, so here goes. Foam rollers. Can they be beneficial to gymnasts, especially to gymnasts with very sore muscles? I have read many interesting articles about their potential harm, so I don't know. My reason for asking is- My gym has been doing a lot of conditioning as part of its summer training program, especially a lot of leg conditioning, as our legs are supposedly weak. I've been getting really sore, and in my mind, I can SEE a foam roller as being helpful to roll out my quads, calves, and hamstrings. However, I've never used one before. I've tried being moderately active outside of practice to increase circulation, drinking a lot to help flush out lactic acid b/c of lactic acid fermentation, and gentle stretching, but it hasn't helped much. Oh, and our hot water is currently shut off, so epsom salt-bath isn't quite possible at the moment. So, back to my question- Are foam rollers beneficial? And, should one just buy one, or is there a more practical way to make one? Thank you so much!

My daughter uses a foam roller just about daily per her PT suggestion. Honestly, I'm not sure what exactly she is doing but she says it makes her feel better. As for making it, I'm not sure that's possible? The foam seems fairly hard and size specific. We got ours on sale for about $25 at Target.

Foam rollers are wonderful tools, they use your body weight to massage. You really need to buy one, but a rolling pin and tennis balls are pretty good substitute. Search on youtube for techniques.

I had to use a foam roller for physio exercises at home and it turned out to help more them my pain. I had hurt my knees pretty bad but it wasn't because of my knees is was because I had tight thighs ( not sure if that the correct or not this happened at the beginning of the year) and it ended up helping me with leg strength as well. after practice I would us my foam roller and when I went in for the next practice I wasn't as sore as I normally would be which made me capable of doing more reps and my leg strength got a lot better. I do recommend a foam roller only down side to it is that it sort of hurts.

Thanks! It sounds as if it really is a helpful tool! Also, if it's worth its weight in gold, I could use it to finance my retirement, too! ;)

I lift weights and use a foam roller to help with recovery. I do think it makes a big difference for me- I'm not super sore for as long, and it helps prevent recurring knee injuries. I also like to use a lacrosse ball for the smaller muscles. I've read conflicting articles on what foam rolling actually does for your body, but everyone seems to agree that it is helpful. I highly recommend buying one- they are pretty cheap. I've only been foam rolling for a few months but I'm now completely addicted!

drinking a lot to help flush out lactic acid b/c of lactic acid fermentation
This is erroneous. Lactic acid gets recycled in the energy system and flushes out of the body fairly rapidly. However, muscular fiber damage from eccentric or plyometric actions does take some time to repair (basically getting stretched and microtears).

Easy cheap foam roller is to go to a hardware store and buy a hollow cylinder of PVC. You can attach some foam on top of it if you want to be softer but I don't bother.

It's very useful if you can get a gymnast to go work on their tight muscles themselves rather than having them get a massage. Cheaper too. Not quite as good as a sports massage but you can foam roll and do SMR multiple times a day with ease.

Tennis ball works, especially a lacrosse ball or baseball/softball.

Maybe this is a silly question, but my DD has struggled horribly with getting her splits both ways (right/left), especially since going through a big growth spurt..... Her hip flexors are super tight. Has anyone used foam rollers in conjunction with stretching to help gain flexibility? Was it very helpful it waste of time?

Well, you can roll your hip flexors out on them. It's vicious because you are putting your BW on the roller. Also good for tight glutes and calves or tight quads near the knee.

I have not heard it magically increasing splits or anything though.

Also good for loosening up thoracic spine which gets tight from backpacks and poor posture. It's not fun for your upper back to pop during ring swings.

Well, you can roll your hip flexors out on them. It's vicious because you are putting your BW on the roller. Also good for tight glutes and calves or tight quads near the knee.

I have not heard it magically increasing splits or anything though.

Also good for loosening up thoracic spine which gets tight from backpacks and poor posture. It's not fun for your upper back to pop during ring swings.

I agree; I know there is no "magic" to get splits. I was thinking something like this in conjunction with stretching may help.

Maybe this is a silly question, but my DD has struggled horribly with getting her splits both ways (right/left), especially since going through a big growth spurt..... Her hip flexors are super tight. Has anyone used foam rollers in conjunction with stretching to help gain flexibility? Was it very helpful it waste of time?

Have her stretch right after she gets out of the shower/bath. Muscles are loose and warm. Have her try it for a few weeks. Works great for tight and unflexible muscles.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back