WAG Foil on Competition Leo GONE!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym just got new competition leos. They a white with red detail. They are beautiful. And they should be for over $300. Anyway. I wore it for our first meet and washed it as instructed only to find the foil completely gone in the armpits, elbows and a few other areas.:confused: I have to compete in this leo for the rest of this year and next. I want to take it back to GK, but I doubt they'll just give me a new one. Anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do?

we had this issue several years ago with GK leos...foil washed off of all of our team girls leos (>100)...GK initially unresponsive then someone at our gym managed to talk to Sallie Weaver ( the head of GK) ...and lo and behold, every leo replaced!!! So be a squeaky wheel and go straight to the top if you have to (Sallie has since retired so it would be a new president of the company now)

definitely call and ask other gymnasts if it's happening to theirs. Sometimes it just comes from a bad batch of fabric. DD had a foil leo from another brand and the foil can off pretty quickly, but not after one meet! that's crazy!!

I would start by talking to the gym and seeing if it is happening to other leos. We had a problem last year with the jewels coming off and they took all the leos back and fixed them. Good luck!

This has happened to every foil Leo we ever had. I hate them! GK has never replaced them either, no matter how carefully I followed the directions. I hope they do for you.

Last year my dd's team leos and warm ups were all losing gems. It looked bad, but Alpha Factor refused to replace them. Leo companies don't get that we aren't all made of money to waste on badly made leos.

We ordered Dreamlight leos for the first time last season and I guess they go above ad beyond, not only did I send several leos back to have stones replaces but they also fixed stitching on one of the leotards. Glad we have had such a wonderful costumer service experience.

It seems like these leo's are being produced for a "one time" experience....just like a wedding dress. So figure it this way......stop buying bling for every "ho hum" meet, and the mfg's will either "get it right", improve their customer care, or just stop charging a princess' ransom for something that falls apart.

I would call the gym and let them know to see if they will call GK I would also call GK myself to see if they will fix the issue.

On the foil leos they can be hard to keep the foil shiny. One thing we found out was no deoderent or antipersperant. It just eats through the foil. Also when washing the leo has to be inside out or the other clothes tend to rub the foil off.

Other than that there isn't much you can do. Seriously though there isn't even a yard of fabric these compainies have us coming and going. It probably cost htem $25 to make the thing and they charge us these crazy prices.

It seems like these leo's are being produced for a "one time" experience....just like a wedding dress. So figure it this way......stop buying bling for every "ho hum" meet, and the mfg's will either "get it right", improve their customer care, or just stop charging a princess' ransom for something that falls apart.

I'm trying to understand what you mean. We buy a comp Leo for two seasons, we don't get "bling" for every meet. They wear them to all meets, exhibitions, parades, etc.

I read iwannacoach's post as saying the leos, even the blingy/ridiculously expensive ones, are being made for one use, not the type of quality that will allow them to make it through 2-3 seasons of meets. So if gyms stop buying the over priced, rhinestone encrusted numbers every year with numerous replacements along the way, maybe the manufacturers will get the message that something needs to change in regards to their quality. Though that's just my speculation.

My girls just got warm-up leos from Melody (thanks to MaryA for the great reviews!) and not only are they original and a great quality product, but they also offer "repairs" should anything tear or go wrong within the first 6 months. I plan on sticking with the "little guys" from here on out because the quality and service are far superior.

I haven't had a problem with foil leos since following the Snowflake instructions (which are totally different from the Alpha Factor instructions, even though they are both foil leotards). I always gently handwash all leotards in salt water only, no detergents or soaps, and hang on an indoor drying rack. Stones tend to come off in washing machines, and detergent dulls the shine of foil fabrics.

I read iwannacoach's post as saying the leos, even the blingy/ridiculously expensive ones, are being made for one use, not the type of quality that will allow them to make it through 2-3 seasons of meets. So if gyms stop buying the over priced, rhinestone encrusted numbers every year with numerous replacements along the way, maybe the manufacturers will get the message that something needs to change in regards to their quality. Though that's just my speculation.

You pretty much got it figured the way I intended. If they're "falling apart" after a few meets, it must be the mfg's intention to have them out on the market for parents to buy them for their dd's "post season run" or the big invitationals, but of course they'll sell them to anyone with a short handfull of c-notes.

My own personal preference would be a simple leotard for say $40-$60 bucks, cuz that pretty leo isn't going to help one team do better than the other, or make Suzie's day a success when she's missed twice on that darn glide kip. Oh, of course any money you save could be passed on to me for having such a sensible idea.....okay, maybe I'd settle for 20%......:D

I have had this happen with gk leos too. And I agree that it has something to do with deoderant or sweat. GK fixed it the year it happened but not without a fight, mad parents and girls who had to compete in leos that were not in good condition while the new ones came in. Not worth it. My dd's team now order from dreamlight they have better service. I just ordered custom leos from gymdigs for my team for half the price

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back