Parents Friday meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

about unexcused absences - lots of school districts allow excused absences based on family educational trips. Not all districts make this known so it's worth checking the policy manual. This way, you can schedule a special outing during your weekend to fit in an educational trip. The kids usually have to do a project to prove they learned something but it's better than having unexcused absences. Personally, I think it is absolutely ridiculous to have to jump through hoops for when school sports are regularly excused, of for that matter and reason a parent would take a child out of school for the day... but then again that's another reason why we homeschool :). When we do put them back in school, I will be fighting the board to allow excused absences for sports in and out of school.

We have schedules so far for our first 3 meets this year.......... first meet is next weekend 2 states and 5 1/2 hours away on Friday afternoon, second meet is 5:00 Sunday evening 6 hours away, 3rd meet is 11:00 am Friday. Luckily my dd is a great student and all around good kid. She leaves school right before last period 4 days a week for gym, and now at least 3 absences this season for meets. At some point I'm expecting to get some push back from school but so far they are working with us to allow her to keep doing what she's doing without reporting me to the truancy officer :)

About PE... My DD is getting a C in PE . Really? Really? She works out 15 hours a week! She has straight As otherwise. I have NO idea how this has occurred.

in 2nd grade, Bella got a "needs improvement" in PE because she couldn't catch a bar. HELLO!!!! That's why she's a gymnast and not a softball player!

One of our optionals a couple of years ago, broke her ankle....in PE. Missed the last half of her L9 year. :-( PE....bad for gymmies everywhere!

in 2nd grade, Bella got a "needs improvement" in PE because she couldn't catch a bar. HELLO!!!! That's why she's a gymnast and not a softball player!

One of our optionals a couple of years ago, broke her ankle....in PE. Missed the last half of her L9 year. :-( PE....bad for gymmies everywhere!
DD had an end of year report card say that she was too lean and that we should talk to her about her self image and body shape. This about the girl that dominated all of the boys in all of the fitness tests. Comments made based on the BMI measurement, which has widely known shortcomings. I was rather annoyed, as there is little reason to start giving a perfectly healthy girl a complex about her body. You want to say that to me in private, I'll dismiss you and move on. You put that in writing on something my daughter will certainly see, I have a real problem with you.

DD had an end of year report card say that she was too lean and that we should talk to her about her self image and body shape. This about the girl that dominated all of the boys in all of the fitness tests. Comments made based on the BMI measurement, which has widely known shortcomings. I was rather annoyed, as there is little reason to start giving a perfectly healthy girl a complex about her body. You want to say that to me in private, I'll dismiss you and move on. You put that in writing on something my daughter will certainly see, I have a real problem with you.

OMG, my 13 year old gymmie got called into the counselor's office because they thought she was bolemic and emo! What really got my dander up was when she got home she was starving. Why? Because she got called into the counselor's office right before lunch and wasn't let go from the counselor's office until the end of the lunch period. Granted my daughter is 5'2 and weighs a whopping 86 pounds, she's beyond tiny and has been her entire life; and she likes to wear the funky gloves on her arms, kinda goth, but she likes it. I sent that counselor a very very nasty email.

She never has a problem in gym class though, she holds the school record for the most push ups in a minute (girls and boys), 78.

Usually 2 - 3 meets a year this may happen but I have spoken with the teachers and the principal to let them know my DD is a competitive gymnast and may need to miss 2 or 3 days a year for meets. They are usually all ok with this and will usually send a packet the day before home with my DD for her to compleat and pass in when she comes back or when she comes back she gets the packet. Most gymnsast too tend to be good students. I haven't met one yet that isn't mostly A's and maybe a few b's or always Honor Roll so no one seems to worry about it because it's not hard for these kids to catch up.

Its not uncommon to see the kids doing homework at some of these events on the side while they are waiting.

This is not intended to be mean at all, but the typo made me smile! I assume she is pretty good at catching a BAR. ;)

Bwahahaha! Yes, of course. She's fine with catching the bar but please don't throw a ball at her. You'll break her nose!

Sent from my LGL55C using ChalkBucket mobile app

We always seem to get the Friday AM time slot. sigh.
We have one tomorrow and another one next Friday. But, on the positive side, it's better than a Sunday night report time!
Our teachers have been very understanding so far. Luckily my daughters are very good students, so I am sure that helps.

Bwahahaha! Yes, of course. She's fine with catching the bar but please don't throw a ball at her. You'll break her nose!

That's exactly how my DD is...she told me when she was about 6 "I don't like any sport with a ball. I don't want to get hit in the face!" Probably a good call!

All of my daughter's meet for the Level 8 season (she was in 4th grade that year) were on Fridays, except for States and Regionals so that year was a definite baptism by fire. Fortunately my kids have gone to a small private school that "gets" it and her absences were never an issue...she always did her work , was proactive about assignments; was on the honor roll. One of the years she did elite and was traveling back and forth to TX monthly she missed 42 school days and I asked the principal if this was a problem, and her delightful response to me was "She's an A student...no problem with us". They were very supportive of her endeavors and reading all these other horror stories makes me thank my lucky stars that we had such an option...

It doesn't matter when we compete, we always have to miss school on Friday because every meet we go to invilves overseas travel. We have to book our flights before we know the schedule, and we have to allow for flight delays. So it is extremely rare that we would get to leave the island after school on friday - it is usually Friday morning early if we're sure we won't be in a Friday session, or often we have to leave on a Thursday even. And because we may not know if we are competing on Sunday or not, we often have to book to come home on Monday. Every US meet we have been to we have missed at least 2 days of school, but sometimes 3! It is only the Trinidad meets that are just an hour's flight away that we have been able to just miss the Friday (or part of the Friday).

Luckily the private school DD is at is very understanding. It helps that she travels as part of the National team, so it's a bigger deal. It's also only maybe twice a year (3 times max). If it happened more often it may be more of a problem.

I find that the teachers are very understanding, particularly with students who get good grades anyway, but the issue is the District's policy of what's "excused" versus "unexcused". We are allowed 10 unexcused. Idk what happens after 10. This year, we already know DD will miss at least 7 days, not counting Regionals.

Yes, at DD's current school, they are allowed 10 days, but at the school she is likely to attend for high school, it is only 5. Who knows how we'll manage that if she's still in gym?

About half to a third of our compulsories are on Fridays. It seems that meets around here try to keep optionals on Saturdays to avoid the missing school issue where absences matter. We never have Sunday meets except state and you can't imagine the uproar that causes because of church. Many of DD teammates will not compete on a Sunday.

We have to miss a work/school day for almost every meet for travel so it is part of the deal. Our meets are all 4-8 driving hours away. The local schools do not really care much and it has never been a problem. Working it out with our employers, however, is a different story. Our girls are not required to attend every meet so people either send their gymnast off with another family or skip the meet. We choose to skip because dd is not comfortable traveling and competing without us yet. She is L4 so, competing is seen as more for fun and we only aim to attend half of the meets. I am not sure what we will do when the expectations increase as she advances.

Dd is involved in another competitive sport that requires travel, and also requires missed days, so we get hit twice.

What gets my goat is when they schedule the very lowest level girls in the last time slot on Sunday. This happens frequently for some reason. Last year, as a level three, my dd had awards at 11pm on a Sunday. She was competing past her bedtime. And we were in a different time zone making it an hour "later" feeling. I was practically asleep. I have no idea how the girls could do it. They KNOW the lower level girls are the youngest. Why even think about starting their comp time at 7:30pm? Never mind being able to even think about driving home that night...... We are talking kids as young as 4 yo.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back