Front Sault off Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm in Level 4, and our beam routine requires a ''straight jump' dismount, or, as a bonus, you can do a front sault.

I can do a front sault off high beam onto a crash mat, but as soon as the mat is gone, I totally lose all confidence and get scared I'll hurt myself. How can I get over this?

level 4? i'm guessing you're not in usag.. lol.. that sounds much more advanced than usag level 4. and if you can do it onto a crash mat, you should be able to do it without one.. just remember that it is the same skill. and just try to go for it before you keep thinking about it because then you won't go for it. and if you're still nervous, ask your coach to stand there or spot you. but trust me, once you do it the first time you'll realize how easy it is! hope that helped!

Just member that it's the same skill even without the crash mat. I often have the same problem with skills so what I do is I stack mats under the beam and remove them as I get more confident. You could remove mats a few at a time at the end of you beam.

Just think that it will actually be easier to do it without the crash mat because you'll have more air time! And don't stand there forever deciding whether to go or not, you have to decide on the floor, and then climb on the beam and just go without thinking about it. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Whay my coach has us do when we have a fear of a dismount on a beam. Is first try it normaly, if you don't go for it, turn around, walk to the other end to the beam, walk back and go for it, connected to your walking (don't stop). You could also do your dance from your routine into it. Sometimes what helps me is to imagine your self in a big competition. Can you compete it with a crash mat? Where I live we are allowed. Just remember it is the same skill, you are doing it the exact same way. The one thing not to do is just stand there thinking, you will just make your fear worse. If you are not ready to do it take a step back and work your way back up.
By crash mat I assume you are doing it onto a 8" mat. Are you trying to get it on a 4"mat or a 1" sting mat? Just imagine that the crash mat is not their. This might work better if the surface you are doing it onto is the same color of your crash mat. (It's a mental thing.) Take it onto a medium hight beam without a mat first.
Maybe you could try a different dismount. Maybe something backwards would be easier for you.

I Australia this is the standard dismount for level 4, either a punch jump or a front tuck. Our girls find the front tuck easier than the handstand thing required in USAG.

Do you use proper landing mats at the end of the beam? They are required for competition, so they really should be used for your practice.

Do you have a medium height beam at your gym? perhaps working front tucks off there without the crash mat will help to build your confidence?

Can you ask your coach to stand in and spot, and then just stand in, and then stand near by and so on to work your way up to it? Most coaches would be happy to stand in for a level 4 learning this dismount, they want you to feel safe and comfortable.

I don't have a drill for it, but mentally, if I have a problem with a skill that way, I think that if I'm to scraed to do this, Coach won't think I'm ready to do X skill off beam, then my dreams of becoming an Olympic gymnast won't come true. Works like a charm for me :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back