Funny Things Gymnasts say

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My 7-year-old DD used to call gymnastics "mah-mastics".

Present-day? Not a whole lot improved. She still often calls it "bin-as-ics".

My favorite ever? For a good three years she called herself a "dim-nist". She still sometimes catches herself about to say it and has to correct.

Oh, and she gets over/under confused easily (our toilet "underflows" apparently, it does not "overflow"). Thus, backwalkovers are backwalkunders. :)

Lastly, I made a big deal about registering my son for his first "big boy" rec classes this semester. We moved him up early due to instructor recommendation. His very next class? He refused to join his tot class. He instead joined the team boys (levels 4-6). His coach explained that he was in the wrong class, but my son argued like a pro that he was going to be in the big boy classes from now on. It took his tot coach a good 10 minutes to convince him that he wasn't lying. My poor son had over a month before the actual new class started. Which, uh, at age 4.5, isn't yet team! I suppose I should have been more clear? :)

my little sister came in my room and said "mom said you left your grips in the car and that you have to go get them" And then she left and came right back in "wait, I thought grips were on a bike, did you leave your bike in the car?" (she's 5) haha.

not quite a malapropism but smallest small (7) was helping me bake a caek this afternoon. I asked her to put the flour away and she came back brushing herself,

"well, I shouldn't have carried it like that should I" she said, "Its as bad as chalk on a leotard!"

Creased me up

'margo

My dd told me tonight the boys at gym were practicing "caribbeans." I was very confused. After some thought I asked, "Did you mean arabians?" Not sure if that was what they doing but it was the closest thing I could think of.

Just thought I would share.

A girl I used to coach in rec always called swivel hips in the trampoline 'swizzle hips'. And the younger girls always managed to confuse the names for beam and bars somehow...

hehe, this thread is cute!

One of my gymnasts was convinced a back hip circle was called a back up circle right up until she was helping to coach at age 13! (Perhaps my diction was really bad when I was coaching her!)

One of my current gymnasts is very funny. If she is having a mental block over something, she tells me the apparatus won't let her do it. She also names the mats as someone above mentioned. I think I called one of our splat mats 'Jim' once because it is made by gymnova - She said 'Ok Marie, I'll go and get Mr. Nova for you.

My 8yo daughter overheard me talking on the phone and I said something about her taking gymnastics. I could see her growing irritation and when I got off the phone I asked her what was the matter...
She replied to me in a very haughty way that "I do not *TAKE* gymnastics, I *AM* a gymnast!" complete with an eye roll, hands on hips, and followed by her sashaying down the hallway!
Go Jaden!!! You earned it girl, you ARE a gymnast!:p

hahaha these are all funny! I coach a little bit at my gym, and I asked the kids to do a crab walk. All the kids just stared at me confused, when one little boy started walking like a crab, like the ones you would find at the beach! It was hilarious!

lol I just love these stories! A couple of years ago I was coaching a group of 3 years old. One day, one of them arrived with a bottle of powerade, proudly saying: I brought my gymnastics juice!

Second one, happened a few month ago. My girls have differents runs to do before we start vaulting. One of thses runs is called a biche run in french, cause it looks like a biche jump (don't know the english word for that). Sure, one day, one of them, who was the first in line and so was calling the runs so the others would know what to do, just yelled: b*tch run! And yes in french, we know what it means, and the parents who were a couple of feet away from us also surely knew what it means... Hopefully they found it very funny and laughed... and just for fun we actually did a «b*tch run».

The same girl told me today that she phoned her friend for tuesday and next week-end... Her friend is called tighteness lol. Tuesday is our last day of gym before the competition next week-end!

When we used strap bar, in french we say we are using «sangles» to attached ou hands. The word sounds a bit like «cendre». A couple of kids I've coached mixe the two words. The only thing is, cendre means ashes... So I get told, will we do ashes today?

Some of our mats also have names, the big ones are named Berta.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back