WAG Getting to NATs/NIT from regionals - rant

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Not all of region 2 is bad or has poor coaching. Region 2 did win 2 of the 8 divisions last year.
Think I figured out what you meant. Yes, 2 gymnasts from Region 2 won individual AA titles at JOs. There are some GREAT programs in Region 2. Just not enough of them, or enough population in the region to support more of them, for Region 2 to be competitive in the Regional team competition.

2 of what age divisions?

I'm assuming she means 2 individuals won their age group? I don't know because I have not looked at the results recently, but I think as a team R2 is almost the bottom of every age group. I don't think the issue is that they don't have some really great gymnasts in region 2, they just don't have enough gymnasts to really field a strong team.

You see the same thing within regions where a smaller, less densely populated state has a few really great gymnasts, they just don't have the number of kids a state like California has. It doesn't mean their coaching or programs are inferior. Just smaller :)

I think that's why it makes sense to allow a huge state like California to send more kids to JO's than Rhode Island. (I know nothing about that state, just picked it because its small!)

It wouldn't be a very big meet with these as your "minimum" scores OR girls will suddenly be getting these scores, but what will they mean?
=
You may want to look at region 1 ..... Cut of for Sr C level 10 was a 38!!!! Anyways I think that they meant an AUTOMATIC qualify , not a minimum.

=
You may want to look at region 1 ..... Cut of for Sr C level 10 was a 38!!!! Anyways I think that they meant an AUTOMATIC qualify , not a minimum.

That's what I am getting at...if 37.5 or 38 is your minimum, maybe the scores will just be looser....

Anyways, I did talk to Shane, Dan and Jack today and we are ready to mobilize and send out emails. I will have more information in a few days as to subject matter and email addresses. In a nutshell, they are all on board and are awaiting ALL of our emails, (and I said, "are you sure you want ALL of our emails" and Shane said YES)... In the meantime I'm in the process of informing the rest of my parent base. Shane and Dan do think that a massive amount of emails from parents absolutely will make a difference, and Jack is all over anything we do, LOL. We can make a difference, so stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyways, I did talk to Shane, Dan and Jack today and we are ready to mobilize and send out emails. I will have more information in a few days as to subject matter and email addresses. In a nutshell, they are all on board and are awaiting ALL of our emails, (and I said, "are you sure you want ALL of our emails" and Shane said YES)... In the meantime I in the process of informing the rest of my parent base. Shane and Dan do think that a massive amount of emails from parents absolutely will make a difference, and Jack is all over anything we do, LOL. We can make a difference, so stay tuned.

When you are ready let us know. I am sure you will get LOTS of emails.

That's what I am getting at...if 37.5 or 38 is your minimum, maybe the scores will just be looser....
I don't think they are saying it as a minimum but if you get a 37, you get in, regardless of your rank. Then a certain number of spots would go to those who ranked highest after that. I could see judges being a little more lenient with scores in the 9-9.2 range but really, it would be awfully difficult to justify a 37 aa score from a gymnast who routine scores 35.5. At some point the judges' integrity is on the line.

Shane and Dan are on the regional board, and Jack Carter is JACK CARTER.(Olympic coach,,,too much to list). :)

Think I figured out what you meant. Yes, 2 gymnasts from Region 2 won individual AA titles at JOs. There are some GREAT programs in Region 2. Just not enough of them, or enough population in the region to support more of them, for Region 2 to be competitive in the Regional team competition.
This is what I meant. There is just no way our programs (good or bad) can ever compete with the numbers other regions have.

This is what I meant. There is just no way our programs (good or bad) can ever compete with the numbers other regions have.

I feel bad that Newtogym has to feel this way...I think that in all this discussion about who got shorted by not making it to JOs with the current system of qualification in place, that we should be mindful of the fact that there are regions , like Newtogym's, who play by the rules and have kids qualify... and to make them feel like they are not worthy of their spot because Suzy from a bigger region did not, is wrong. The kids and parents read these forums and it would be heartbreaking to me reading some of the things written if I were one of the kids (or parent of) who made it from the regions with the lower scores...

I've looked at a lot of the regional results and I can kind of guess which region Coachp has an issue with , but my issue is that these are the rules now, and these smaller regions have not violated them so it would be nice if we could just back off and celebrate these accomplishments, without making them feel like they're second class.

I've always had the impression that the top meet is the hardest to get into. USAG lets pretty much anyone who is not half dead qualify to sta
Anyways, I did talk to Shane, Dan and Jack today and we are ready to mobilize and send out emails. I will have more information in a few days as to subject matter and email addresses. In a nutshell, they are all on board and are awaiting ALL of our emails, (and I said, "are you sure you want ALL of our emails" and Shane said YES)... In the meantime I'm in the process of informing the rest of my parent base. Shane and Dan do think that a massive amount of emails from parents absolutely will make a difference, and Jack is all over anything we do, LOL. We can make a difference, so stay tuned.

I'm sure the stronger regions would be all over it. I'm not sure about everybody else. Why would the weaker regions vote for a system that would mean they get fewer spots? I think the adults voting are probably thinking about what's best for their respective regions as opposed to what's best for whatever gymnast in some other region.

"Lets not forget this is about MONEY, yep,,, your little DD's are now jockeying for scholarships and a child seen has a HUGE advantage over a child left at home...."

If DD is good, it probably won't matter. Look how many gymnasts from other countries get NCAA scholarships.

#1. I'm sure the stronger regions would be all over it. I'm not sure about everybody else. Why would the weaker regions vote for a system that would mean they get fewer spots?

#2. If DD is good, it probably won't matter. Look how many gymnasts from other countries get NCAA scholarships.

Point 1: totally agree ...why let those that seem to be dissing you and your region have more spots?

Point #2: I don't see the Canadians and British (and other countries ) at our JOs but they are on NCAA teams all over the place...

I think a percentage, as outlined by Wallflower, and similar to what is done in level 8 would likely be the most fair means of allocating spots. However it would mean Region 2 (and maybe some other regions in certain age groups) would not be able to field a regional team at certain age groups, which I think is part of the fun of JOs for lots of the kids, and not fair to the smaller regions who just don't have the numbers. This happens periodically at level 8 with state teams, I think Delaware had to forfeit their team status in several age groups this year because they just didn't have any kids that age.
I think moving Utah to Region 2 could be helpful, and maybe more agreeable to coaches than splitting California. Utah has some super talented gymnasts who could definitely up the level of competition in R2, but because there are so few clubs (especially clubs capable of producing level 9/10 athletes) in the state, they often get lost in the pack in R1- though do usually make a mark in spite of their small numbers.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back