Giants for the first time

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been a coach for 12 years, was a gymnast for 11 years, with many, many injuries. I broke bones doing skills that were easier than a giant. So I felt I had the necessary experience and the responsibility to warn you.

That said, don't let one post ruin the opinion you have of this forum. There are really nice and helpful people around here.

This was my first proper post on here and ok what she did was wrong and I've said I told her not to, if I hadn't have said where she did them the comments would be so different. Thought this would be a nice group to join, but clearly I was wrong so will no longer be returning to chalkbucket
Don't make one set of responses push you off such a great forum. They don't mean to push you away. They are just concerned for your daughter. stay, learn, and teach others. In a year or two, you will likely be one of these posters warning newbie parents. We know you are very proud that your dd did giants at such a young age (any age, really) - and you should be, just not how she did it. It is just that the more experienced parents here have a very different perspective, one where we have seen kids get hurt "playing gym", even things they have mastered in the gym.

Difference in experience: 1- "whoa! my 6yr old just did giants out in the backyard! I am so pround of her!" ; 2 - "Whoa - my dd just did giants out in the backyard! What the heck was she thinking?! The coach is going to kill her!" OR "so this is why the chalkbucket parents all warned me about buying home equipment!" Stick around awhile and your perspective will change when you begin to hear about (but hopefully not personally experience) the injuries, bad form, fears, etc that come from "playing gym" outside of gym.

This was my first proper post on here and ok what she did was wrong and I've said I told her not to, if I hadn't have said where she did them the comments would be so different. Thought this would be a nice group to join, but clearly I was wrong so will no longer be returning to chalkbucket

Please stick around....chalkbucket is a nice forum....people are just concerned about your DD's safety. Would you prefer them to keep quiet and for her to suffer a serious (possibly catastrophic) injury?

When I was a new gym mom, I set no boundaries on what my daughter could practice at home. I even encouraged/supported her to practice. Years of being a spectator and trying to be an informed one, I learned so much, a lot of them from this site, its knowledgeable coaches and experienced parents. When I joined, I too was put off by what I perceived to be some brusque posters and was offended when someone did not support my beliefs. But this site has so many well meaning members and to me has been a great source of information and support. There are still posters that rub me the wrong way but I am certain I too have rubbed many people the wrong way. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back