Giants! :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

BreezyGymnast

UGHHH!!!!!! i can't make my giants over!!!!!!!!! :( i just started going for them again on pit bar and i am RREEEEALLLY close, but i can't make it over! and to make it worse i keep getting in trouble! not because i'm not making them, but because i get mad at myself for not trying harder during bars and then i carry it over into the next event.. :( i try to tap later, but it's still not working. and i try to tap harder, but that's not really working either.. does anyone have any advice?? (i kind of close my shoulders once i get to the top on my giant, but i'm working on staying open!)

Good luck!

sorry weird thing to say but i think i know you.. anyways lets not talk about that.. so stay open tap and stay tight and HaLO!

UGHHH!!!!!! i can't make my giants over!!!!!!!!! :( i just started going for them again on pit bar and i am RREEEEALLLY close, but i can't make it over! and to make it worse i keep getting in trouble! not because i'm not making them, but because i get mad at myself for not trying harder during bars and then i carry it over into the next event.. :( i try to tap later, but it's still not working. and i try to tap harder, but that's not really working either.. does anyone have any advice?? (i kind of close my shoulders once i get to the top on my giant, but i'm working on staying open!)

Have you done them in straps, or have straps available?

Remember - symmetry is important in gymnastics. Push the bar away from you as soon as you cast. Get hollow through the whole drop phase.

Just remember, you want the bar to be as far away from your body as possible. Just like a handstand on floor - grow tall.

I hope that helps..

Ryan

I have a drill that I have been doing to work on the last part that you might want to try. Take a floor bar and put it on a tumble track, or inbetween 2 trampolines, or on the end of a trampoline. Hang on to it, kick up to handstand, fall to your back and try to bounce back over, through handstand, back to you feet, and then onto you back again, and over... If the bar is moving you can get 2 people to sit on it or hold the ends down.
You can also do something smiliar on a mini tramp. Hold onto the mini tramp bar (that the springs are attached to), on the lower side of the mini tramp. Lay down on you back and try to bounce over, thround handstand down to front support. You might want to put a mat or a box on the low side (floor) to land on.
I don't know if this is what you are looking for but it might help. I would also try some with a spot, and on a strap bar.

I have a drill that I have been doing to work on the last part that you might want to try. Take a floor bar and put it on a tumble track, or inbetween 2 trampolines, or on the end of a trampoline. Hang on to it, kick up to handstand, fall to your back and try to bounce back over, through handstand, back to you feet, and then onto you back again, and over... If the bar is moving you can get 2 people to sit on it or hold the ends down.
You can also do something smiliar on a mini tramp. Hold onto the mini tramp bar (that the springs are attached to), on the lower side of the mini tramp. Lay down on you back and try to bounce over, thround handstand down to front support. You might want to put a mat or a box on the low side (floor) to land on.
I don't know if this is what you are looking for but it might help. I would also try some with a spot, and on a strap bar.

We do that drill at my gym a lot. I can make it over, but not very easily. I guess if i work on that drill more it could help me.

Have you done them in straps, or have straps available?

Remember - symmetry is important in gymnastics. Push the bar away from you as soon as you cast. Get hollow through the whole drop phase.

Just remember, you want the bar to be as far away from your body as possible. Just like a handstand on floor - grow tall.

I hope that helps..

Ryan

yes, we have a strap bar at my gym and i can make my giants over pretty easily on it. and thanks for your advice! i can't wait to go to the gym and try it!

Do you cast to handstand before the giant?

most of the time i do handstand before the giant, but it's not always perfect.. but i feel like i have more time to swing and i get more momentum going when i hit a handstand.

Are you turning your wrists correctly? Are you kicking you feet like you would do in a back extension roll? (I think it is supposed to be like that but confirm with your coach.)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back