MAG Grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

uniqueRN

Proud Parent
Anyone have any recommendations for boys ring grips? My son told me his coach told him that he's been using girl ring grips this whole time (over 2 years). His coach referred us to Turn grips but said we can use any. Also, do any of you have more than one pair for your son?

Girls don't do rings, so why would he have girl ring grips if they don't exist?

Sorry can't answer your question :oops:, but that seemed a bit odd to me...

Yes, my point exactly. Keep in mind my son is 11 and may have his information a little backwards even though he said it over and over. ;) Really just looking to see if any manufacturer is better than another.

Your son is probably using girls UB grips. It's quite common to put the smaller guys in UB grips because the dowel is smaller and easier to use. Moving onto "real" grips, reisport or reichal (turn) are fine.

If he doesn't lose his grips and isn't terribly careless with them, he can probably count on them for a year or until he outgrows them. You could plan ahead and order another pair the next size up and he can switch to them gradually when he feels the "now new" ones need to be worn loose to get enough wrap around the ring.

Having a broken in set as a back up is a very good idea, IMHO.

Related on the subject of grips, after a near-tragedy for DS's teammate at Future Stars nationals, we now have a little piece of paper inside each gymnast's grip bag that has her/his name, her/his gym, and both my and my husband's cell phone number.

d uses reisport for rings and hb. He has always just been in rings groups, not ub grips. Fortunately rings grips break in easier than HB grips. D does have 2 pair of hb grips, but only one pair of rings grips. he did learn the hard way that swing hb in rings grips does not work well.

Thanks everyone! Yes, his hands are quite small; now it makes more sense. He hasn't outgrown his grips but he said his coach said he can't compete in elite competitions with those girl grips. Does anyone know anything about that? I don't know how they would know what kind of grips he has.

profmom-- fortunately, he figured it out quickly, and switched his grips.

uniqueRN-- how small are his hands? my ds is in 00 hb grips...the smallest. I am guessing there are rings grips for him. Good luck!

Yeah, that seems a bit strange. Who helped you with the purchase of those grips? I wouldn't have known what to buy when I got my DD her first pair...the coach had to tell me.

Seems odd to be focusing on this now if the grips are not worn out, too small, etc.

The Ten 0 catalog has ring grips that say they have narrower palm pieces. We started with these but now ds says he wants ones with a bigger dowel. I'm guessing he has ones like the ones your ds has, but they say ring grips. Take a look they are 501 blue single buckle.

I'd recommend getting two pairs of whatever your coach recommends for him and working on breaking them in! And that's a really exciting reason to be told you need to buy new grips. ;)

my son used US glove (double buckles not velcro) for two years now and moving to other brand now. He likes buckes better than velcro for hb and rings those grips a bit thicker than reisport and harder to brake in however he loved them now i have hard time finding double buckle in his size so he is using reisport now. i always purchased spare pair and i think it was a good idea . i am using DGS website for buying grips ( i am from Canada)

I have a question about grips. My son has been using grips for HB and Rings for a bit less than a year. I realize he should have a second pair he's breaking in. How should he go about this? ie how often should he use the newer ones vs the already broken in ones? At this point Regionals is in a few weeks and I don't think he should mix-in the new ones now. What do you think?

sce- don't break them in now :) (or that is my opinion.)

D has backup hb grips only. Coach has said that is all he needs. Rings grips break in more easily, so for now that is all we have.

D warms up in his new grips. does swings, kips, uprises, hip circles. Then takes them off to do routines in his regular grips. This summer coach plans to make the boys break them both in equally....interchangeably, so that they always have 2 sets ready to go.

If your son is smaller, he may not need back up grips. D wore his first pair for 3 years before they ripped. We had bought back ups because we could tell they were getting worn. They were not as well worn in as his beloved grips, but they were ready to use. NOw he has 1 pair for rings and 2 for high bar. He shouldn't outgrow them before he needs them (or at least that is what I hope!)

Thanks. Maybe I will talk with his coach after regionals to see what he thinks is best as far as breaking in a 2nd pair. I should also check his hand size. He had a big growth spurt this year (outgrew his uniform). I never checked to see if it affected his grips. Though he's not mentioned them being too small.

Our gym has some little boys in Ginasta USA grips which break in very easily. IN ONE day!!!
My daughter has a pair and she loves them. They make girl as and boys dowel grips (made in the USA)
Boys coach says they are not 'real' grips but I think they are a good option for the little ones.
DS is in Reisport. He has HB grips and R grips, and just switched to buckles which work very well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back